Tarocchi di Guppemberg 1840

alec

Nolan said:
i love this deck, IT is quite special and sacred to me, to know that i am holding cards as they were almost 200 years ago, paper against skin, and exuding all the energy which they transmit constantly.... salute!

Nolan, fantastic!

alec

Le Fanu

alec said:
Interestingly, my Della Rocca and Marsiglia decks are just like the Bologna deck you enjoy so much - no lamination.
Are you sure you're thinking of the Meneghello Marsiglia Classica? All the people I know who have ever had this, have had laminated ones. You are the only person who says they have an unlaminated one! Here's a post with images of the deck I am thinking of...

alec

It's the Marsiglia Svizzera which is not laminated. Have never seen the Classica.

Alec

Le Fanu

Yes, I bought this deck, in a trade with Moongypsy. It is laminated like the Meneghello Dotti.

Nice but not my favourite Meneghello deck.

DeToX

Ah ok. I am not sure whether I prefer this deck or the Liguria-Piedmont tarot.

BTW you don't happen to know which is the correct spelling do you? I figure it's probably Gumppenberg?

Le Fanu

Ah ok. I am not sure whether I prefer this deck or the Liguria-Piedmont tarot.

BTW you don't happen to know which is the correct spelling do you? I figure it's probably Gumppenberg?
I've always spelt it Gumppenberg because that's what I tend to see most. I think the spelling is unlikely - a double consonant like that in the middle. Double "L"maybe - as in Meneghello" - but a double "P" seems odd... But who knows.

Debra

Actually I believe it is spelled both ways on original cards.

It wasn't unusual for people to spell their own names in different ways (see this on Shakespeare: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_Shakespeare's_name)

OnePotato has an original etched deck by this artist and pointed out the spelling variations here or perhaps another forum.

DeToX

Ah thanks for the heads up. I was even calling him Grumppenberg, maybe confusing him with Grumpy Cat.

Rhinemaiden

I have the Gumppenberg 1840... my first Meneghello deck purchase.

Will look at it later to check card stock...

ETA: cardstock is lightly varnished. Mine is 967/2000.