Now all 78 COLOURED images of Jean-Pierre Payen deck are available!!

Le Fanu

A jewel. Thank you so much. You do so much in the name of tarot!

Yves Le Marseillais

To do or not to do that is the question

Hello all,

This deck need some restorations of course and I have prior it to do Claude Burdel deck for many reasons.

Why not just after Burdel but so much nice and important decks are claiming for a nice facsimile of them !

I dream also about a wonderful François Tourcaty (Type II preferably) or some Swiss tarot..

Road is long but I hope to get my goals.

Best

Yves LM

eltarot78

Hi Yves

Is good to know that the Claude Burdel deck is a priority for many reasons. yeeeaaa :D

Only express a desire, than good if you win the LOTTO, and can move faster that long part of road.

are many, many, nice and important decks that are part of the heritage of Tarot

mrpants

Maybe I'm just crazy, but-

Those corners look intentionally rounded, not just worn down. What do you think, guys?

eltarot78

maybe I also :)

Was casually observing other contemporary decks this, Dodal both of BNF and in the British Museum also, and Jean Payen 1736 that is in the Library of Yale also.

and yes, the rounded corners do not agree on its roundness, is as if they had been rounded one by one.

mrpants

Eltarot, so there truly aren't historic decks from this period with rounded corners? I'm just curious, really. I took this feature for granted, until I purchased a Noblet restoration, and thought: "Oh! That's cool."

eltarot78

I'm reviewing my files and I see that many have rounded corners and many others no.

what catches my attention is that the round is not equal to one another.
I left wondering if it's due to wear or if they were rounded by the same people who may have used the cards.

Bertrand

the corners are rounded by wear :) I seem to the rounded corners were invented by some guy whose invention was licensed by B.-P. Grimaud, that was to avoid the wear but also to avoid cheating ! (Maybe someone else had the same idea before and elsewhere, but I don't think it existed in France before Grimaud)

eltarot78

Hello Bertrand

you know the estimated date to the rounded corners were invented?

Bertrand

There must be an accurate date somewhere, but Baptiste Paul Grimaud was born in 1817, first factory was 1848, and he died in 1899 (or around 1900 ? can't remember exactly) - so the round corners by Grimaud must be between 1848 and 1900.

-----
edited to add more details : I opened the "il était une fois B.P. Grimaud maître cartier" (hors serie de l'as de trèfle) catalogue to check precisely :
En 1958, [BP Grimaud] signe un contrat avec Firmin Chappellier, curieux personnage, couvert de dettes, mais génial inventeur d'un procédé permettant de fabriquer des cartes à coins ronds métallisés.
In 1958, [BP Grimaud] signs a contract with Firmin Chappellier, a weird character, covered in debt, but brilliant inventor of a method of making round metallic corners for cards.
Now I'm rereading it, I'm not so sure : I assumed it was about rounded corners, but maybe the new thing here was the metallic-rounded corners !

Bertrand