Which TdM deck is this from?

Kingdubrock

This is a bit off topic but I don't think I've ever spent time reading the material on the site where the image in the OP came from. In my random searching and musing it came up a few times and I spotted a mention of "the Language of the Birds", clicked on it and it was that site again. It ended up being an essay by E. Enriquez, which is always interesting to me. As I was reading, Enrique kept referencing another article on the site by Paul Williams. So I started reading and discovered Paul had written at length about tarot poetics, semiotics and the Language of the Birds. This perspective, or hermaneutic or whatever, which I first encountered via Enrique is among the small number of chance encounters that led me back to Tarot.
Does anyone know the history behind this particular tarot sensibility? Did it originate with Paul? Enrique? Someone else? Through gradual, mutual discussion?

upawell

This is a bit off topic but I don't think I've ever spent time reading the material on the site where the image in the OP came from. In my random searching and musing it came up a few times and I spotted a mention of "the Language of the Birds", clicked on it and it was that site again. It ended up being an essay by E. Enriquez, which is always interesting to me. As I was reading, Enrique kept referencing another article on the site by Paul Williams. So I started reading and discovered Paul had written at length about tarot poetics, semiotics and the Language of the Birds. This perspective, or hermaneutic or whatever, which I first encountered via Enrique is among the small number of chance encounters that led me back to Tarot.
Does anyone know the history behind this particular tarot sensibility? Did it originate with Paul? Enrique? Someone else? Through gradual, mutual discussion?

Hi Kingdubrock,

I wish I could help you there. It might be a question for EE or Paul Williams himself. I'd be interested to know, if you ever find out.

With any luck someone who has some idea will chance upon this thread and enlighten us!

treedog

This is a bit off topic but... I spotted a mention of "the Language of the Birds", clicked on it and it was that site again.

Kingdubrock, is this one of the sites to which you're referring?:

"For too long, the Tarot de Marseille has been viewed by many popular Tarotists as merely a primitive prototype for modern and more appealing designs. While it is not argued that Tarot-art in all of its permutations is not aesthetically valuable, it is a misfortune that the simple, iconic beauty and elegant utility of the Tarot de Marseille has been hidden to many tarot readers."

The quote above is from a site by Paul B. Williams. He has some strong opinions which make for interesting reading: http://www.tarot-authentique.com/frontpage-paul-articles/welcome-on-tarot-authentique.com.html

gregory

Ah, Gregory, brilliante! I've been cruising Alida, but if never occurred to me to check out French Amazon. A much bigger selection of TdM than the English site.

Glad to be of service :) German amazon is another sterling site which often has stuff that other amazons don't list. But there is sometimes a "will not mail to..." or "domestic mail only" condition - I have had to call in German friends as intermediary mailboxes !

Kingdubrock

Kingdubrock, is this one of the sites to which you're referring?:

"For too long, the Tarot de Marseille has been viewed by many popular Tarotists as merely a primitive prototype for modern and more appealing designs. While it is not argued that Tarot-art in all of its permutations is not aesthetically valuable, it is a misfortune that the simple, iconic beauty and elegant utility of the Tarot de Marseille has been hidden to many tarot readers."

The quote above is from a site by Paul B. Williams. He has some strong opinions which make for interesting reading: http://www.tarot-authentique.com/frontpage-paul-articles/welcome-on-tarot-authentique.com.html

Thats the one. There is some clear overlap between Enrique's and his approach to the Marseille, most noteably the subject of semiotics, iconicity and reading the cards as one would poetry.

treedog

Thats the one. There is some clear overlap between Enrique's and his approach to the Marseille, most noteably the subject of semiotics, iconicity and reading the cards as one would poetry.

Yes, it's very interesting, and a pleasant shift from expected lists of correspondences and meaning derived from Smith's exquisite artwork of 1909.

You might search the forum and find threads that more specifically address the Marseille and Continental approaches to divination---or start your own :)