Liberating Pierre Madenie

BSwett

I understand your arguments and I would say that one day I will authorise myself to round one exemplary of my Madenié for my own pleasure too.

It look very nice also and more feminine I would say.

Another possibility is to use a smaller radius for this rounding operation as to take benefit of all aspects: A square look plus a small round corner.

I take opportunity of this thread to wish you all a very good end of year feast !!

Salutations from Marseilles City

Yves

Happy holidays to you as well Yves. Good to hear from you. I truly hope you don't get the wrong impressions from my 'liberating Madenie' title. I complete love and respect your work, pointy of rounded! I'm about to order a Chosson ;)

It took me a while to find a small radius cutter. The one I got does 3mm cuts plus two bigger sizes. There is a 2mm radius clipper that I would prefer but it costs about $50....

Yves Le Marseillais

Night in white Satin

Good luck with the rounded corners. Mine, (still square cornered) but handled with ease started to delaminate from even gentle use. No way I could riffle shuffle the pack, they'd come apart.

I have retired them to the historical reference section.

Seems like a lot of these self published packs are laminated & don't hold up to riffle shuffling or even an attempt of gentle hand over hand type shuffling. Though they are historically relevant & I want them in my collection they should be serviceable.

We need independent card publishers that put out the durable product, comparable to a finished US games type pack in durability but less plastic. Who can do that?

Durable, beautiful, done.

Hello Inconnu,

My Madenié facsimile decks are not laminated (I mean not plastic film added on it).
It's just a satin aspect spray.

If you look at Nicolas Conver deck from BnF Paris (See their Image Bank) you will see that their original exemplary (dated post 1805) shows on pips cards (particularly Swords and Sticks cards) traces of heavy use deterioration (black colour is faded).
All decks who are used are slowly but surely getting older and tired.
I will always prefer a used/tired deck rather that a "plastic" deck where no life is showing up of it.

Plastic/laminated decks anyway peeled and turn yellow appearance after some years.

I am open to any suggestion for improving my reproductions of course.

Best

Yves

Inconnu

Hello Inconnu,

My Madenié facsimile decks are not laminated (I mean not plastic film added on it).
It's just a satin aspect spray.

If you look at Nicolas Conver deck from BnF Paris (See their Image Bank) you will see that their original exemplary (dated post 1805) shows on pips cards (particularly Swords and Sticks cards) traces of heavy use deterioration (black colour is faded).
All decks who are used are slowly but surely getting older and tired.
I will always prefer a used/tired deck rather that a "plastic" deck where no life is showing up of it.

Plastic/laminated decks anyway peeled and turn yellow appearance after some years.

I am open to any suggestion for improving my reproductions of course.

Best

Yves

Shortly after receiving my Madenie pack I was using it, as I say gently, hand over hand shuffling. Having shuffled only a few times the back of the two of Cups developed a tear, (about 3/8") & the image on the back pulled away from the paper card stock. I could actually see through it. It did appear that the back of the card was a thin plastic image attached to the paper card stock. I reattached it with wood glue but the tear can still be seen.

I don't know how the cards are manufactured. However my experience with this one pack indicates it is much more fragile than standard cards.

Yves Le Marseillais

Two of Cups

Shortly after receiving my Madenie pack I was using it, as I say gently, hand over hand shuffling. Having shuffled only a few times the back of the two of Cups developed a tear, (about 3/8") & the image on the back pulled away from the paper card stock. I could actually see through it. It did appear that the back of the card was a thin plastic image attached to the paper card stock. I reattached it with wood glue but the tear can still be seen.

I don't know how the cards are manufactured. However my experience with this one pack indicates it is much more fragile than standard cards.

Hello Inconnu,

Many thanks for this interesting informations that I will transmit to my cards printer for explanations.

If you PM me your full name and address, I will resend you a Two of Cups of course.

This is a minimum as to satisfy you and a real deck is a FULL deck no ?

RV in 2014 for a new historical Tarot I am preparing.

Happy 31st December 2013 !!

Yves

Sherryl

Shortly after receiving my Madenie pack I was using it, as I say gently, hand over hand shuffling. Having shuffled only a few times the back of the two of Cups developed a tear, (about 3/8") & the image on the back pulled away from the paper card stock. I could actually see through it. It did appear that the back of the card was a thin plastic image attached to the paper card stock. I reattached it with wood glue but the tear can still be seen. I don't know how the cards are manufactured. However my experience with this one pack indicates it is much more fragile than standard cards.

I took a close look at my Madenie cards to see if I could figure out why people were having a "delamination" and separation problem. The cards appear to be printed on one piece of paper front and back, but evidently that's not so. I was able to work a fingernail between the front and back of a card at the corner. It wasn't easy, the front and back were well fused together. But I can see how shuffling might cause a card to separate if the edges aren't well glued.

If I want to read with my Madenie deck, I shuffle and lay out the spread with a "surrogate" deck, my grubby and well-worn Ancient Italian.