Looking for Vandenborre

prudence

I have the Vandenborre, but I am a little confused with the second deck you linked to in your post...how is it a different version? I see it is referred to as "pocket", but I could see no measurements in that listing. If it is a pocket version, I had no idea one existed for the Vandenborre.

The one I have is from 1983, it's on sturdy card stock, matte kind of finish. Very thick deck. The colors on mine are fairly old, the white is not so white anymore. I have always loved this odd looking deck, it's not a "pretty" historical deck, it's a bit sloppy and clumsy. That's what makes it so appealing, to me at least! :D It looks like the deck in your first link. The second link I noticed how very crisp the colors were, the whites being very white, mine is not like that.

Le Fanu

It's probably like the mini Russian Stairs of Gold I got recently thinking it was a full size version. I think there are quite a few minis around of decks that we didn't think existed in mini versions.

dancing_moon

I've got the pocket deck from pyroskin. I love it. :D

The box says it was printed in the Czech Republic, and it's copyrighted 2009. The cards measure 8 x 5 cm (about 3 x 2 in.). A rather sturdy matte cardstock, almost velvetish to touch - never had anything like that before. That and the lack of smell make a pleasant difference compared to heavily laminated, slippery, and smelly LoS editions. :D

Very nice, clear pictures, and nice colors. The background isn't white, but rather very delicate ivory. The backs are blue-and-brown plaid, like in playing cards. Some pictures seem to be too big for their frames, but overall it doesn't look too small or inconveniently packed into too little space.

There's no LWB inside, looks like it was published more like a historical curiosity than a divination deck. Don't think I needed one more LWB, though. :) Both the box and the deck itself were sealed in transparent plastic.

Overall, I'm very happy with the deck and this edition in particular. :)

gregory

That and the lack of smell make a pleasant difference compared to heavily laminated, slippery, and smelly LoS editions. :D
LoS ? Don't you mean USG ? Who did the Vandenborre all those years ago. I've never had a stinky LoS deck yet, nor are they heavily laminated.

dancing_moon

LoS ? Don't you mean USG ? Who did the Vandenborre all those years ago. I've never had a stinky LoS deck yet, nor are they heavily laminated.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to LoS editions of other decks. As for 'stinky' and 'heavily laminated' - could be my personal perceptions. :)

gregory

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to LoS editions of other decks. As for 'stinky' and 'heavily laminated' - could be my personal perceptions. :)

Oh I got THAT bit - but it's USG who use that heavy laminate ! LoS are quite dainty by comparison :D

dancing_moon

Oh I got THAT bit - but it's USG who use that heavy laminate ! LoS are quite dainty by comparison :D

I haven't had any USG decks yet - maybe, that's why. :D