Marseilles Pips meanings?

venicebard

stella01904 said:
Interesting, but you seem to be imposing much unnecessary complication.
Unnecessary to whom? (To most, I know.)
Batons can be convoluted into a correspondence with anything one likes, as can anything else. But the simple explanation is usually the correct one, if indeed "correct" exists. It is certainly the most practical and effective.
But it has to be an explanation, else it is simplistic. As for convoluted correspondences, this is what occurs in modern ‘poetry’—and in the sort of ‘readings’ you seem to espouse—that a sound poetic science obviates need for, which is why I feel that bardic tradition from the heroic age is so invaluable and should not be discarded simply because it is not commonly known.
You seem to place a lot of emphasis on things being "fallen." But the philosophy of the Tarot is Gnostic-flavored: "The Kingdom of Heaven is all around, but men do not see it." Which Joseph Campbell called "pure Buddhism."

Hence, no "fall." Which is likely one of the reasons why there have been sermons against cards beginning around Dante's time.
Where in the world did you get the idea that the Gnostic view of things precludes a fall? Why do you think ‘men do not see it’? The Gnostic view was in essence Plato’s, and he saw man as having originated as a sexless being, meaning to get to his current state he had to undergo a fall—the Fall, in Judeo-Christian terms, Kabbalah being closely related to the Gnostic Christianity of the bards, whose world-view these cards embody (that it does can be shown beyond reasonable doubt, though why this seems to interest so few I do not know). As for identifying Gnosticism and Buddhism, I have long preached that Buddha himself was in essence Gnostic—a Platonist—as is evident from the Dhammapada. But modern Buddhism, by and large, does not appear to be, except inasmuch as it still reveres the early sutras and the abovementioned work (and the anatta doctrine is, of course, diametrically opposed to gnosis as the Theravada Buddhists interpret it, though originally it merely meant that self is not something to be found in ‘other’, in the things not of it to which one nevertheless attaches Light).
I don't see any evidence that he is going to burn it. I rather think he is going to pack it up when he is done, and use it again.
I assume you jest here (else things at this point become mere tit-for-tat): the point is that staves are the only suit symbol capable of becoming fire and that their use to direct the eye is consistent with the light so produced.
Back to Campbell, I belive he refers to that kind of thing as being "stuck in the metaphor".
Here you squirm, rather than reason (by falling back on an easy ‘out’, a common trick intellectuals use to avoid serious consideration of contrary viewpoints).
Not a problem. I don't have any particular yen to sidetrack this into a snarky discussion of where commas do, or don't go.
At the risk of ‘getting down in the same mud’, I should point out that I would not have inserted them were they not required, but the greater point here is that if the insertions were ‘not a problem’, they would have required no answer (hence I shall refrain from such jests in future).
The "complete and utterly reliable map" is simply saying that "the fall" is illusion.
How so? To simply state something does not in itself make the case for it (unless it be common sense, and even this usually needs defending nowadays), which is why I defend stipulations with chapter-and-verse even at the risk of being considered verbose (which is what I consider myself anyway). You need something specific here besides Campbell’s charming idealism (based primarily on mythology, not Hermetic metaphysics), unless you are ‘preaching to the choir’ (I wish I had a choir to preach to).
I think of it more like this: As Black Elk said, "Everything tries to be round." The nature of everything IS round. Stephen Hawking has even said that time is spherical and asking what is before the beginning of time is like asking what is north of the north pole.
Sometimes you appear to fence with someone other than me, as I agree that man’s psyche is much healthier in a round lodge, such as that of a Cheyenne (I know, Black Elk was Lakota Sioux) or a Kelt. But as for Hawking, he is an idiot: if he weren’t he would understand that time as he means it has no beginning but is continuous, rather, and therefore any instant must have continuity with both future and past, which his hypothetical ‘first instant’ would not. But then people of his ilk even believe a point without extent can ‘contain’ all matter, and that Euclid has been superceded by Riemann, and other such dribble (including the at this point stubbornly preposterous idea that gravity, rather than electromagnetic forces between plasma filaments, is what shapes the stellar universe).
I like the uncluttered, if you haven't noticed. :smoker:
The only real clutter is falsehood, or the irrelevant. Which am I? (Just tapping blades here, as I know you didn’t mean any insult.)
Not sure about your "other than Diety" though. By all accounts, "other" is illusion. We are not separate, at least form the Diety's point of view.
That’s why I put it in single quotes: I was trying to use verbal shorthand to express a somewhat subtle esoteric doctrine.
Not so much "held captive" as not properly perceived.
Yet the Gnostic metaphor is of Light ‘held captive’ (imprisoned, bound), this because we humans who waste it are held captive in a very real sense by attraction to sensation to the exclusion of reason, and thus we attach Light to objects of nature, death being the result of using up one’s current supply (having to return to the high self to get more, so to speak).
Very sensible astrologically, but not so good for card reading since it takes the heart association away from the Coupe suit.
Where do you get this? I should think it is the Sword that is more closely bound up with the heart—that which pumps blood but does not create or hold it—since the heart is its chief goal (its point’s objective). This is true of both concrete sword and what it stands for, namely thought’s expression, making (or objecting to) distinctions. The Cup, remember, symbolizes peace, not passion, whereas it is the latter that gets the heart a-pumpin’.
The deck will fit together and balance very nicely if you let it. But you have to remember that it is a thing in itself.
Why do you talk down here? True, I am not a reader, but have been working to piece together the origin of the Tarot of Marseilles since 1972. Do I seem like a novice? (Forgive me if I bristle slightly here, but I know precisely how it ‘balances very nicely’: the way it ‘fits together’ is something I have struggled seemingly in vain to interest people in, but the historians are too into ‘history’ to notice, and no-one else seems to care much about anything that went unnoticed by such as Waite and Crowley and that Frenchman Eliphas.)
Because it's interesting, the different ways that people have assigned elemental correspondences over the years. Even completely without elemental correspondences, there is plenty to go on other than stream-of-consciousness.
Touché! (Quite true.)
As Jodo said, it is capable of being sublimated.
???
The Baton suit simply suggests sexual or creative energy . . .
As long as you recognize the creative aspect, which tends to get submerged in the sexual (its procreative guise) but is the essence of the suit. Oh, I see now: yes, sublimated, but this makes it sound sort of as if the original is being sidetracked into something ‘other’, when in fact the sublimation is what ends its being sidetracked and restores it to its proper place (place where it becomes once again a boon).
. . . it is not beneficial to obsess overmuch about what one should or should not eat, or embrace the science du jour.
(If it’s du jour then it probably isn’t science, which is more like du Siecle [I think that’s the word for ‘century’, though I probably have the gender wrong].) But many basic principles of nutrition are well-understood, such as food classification-and-combination and the fact that maple syrup from a tree does not do the same damage sugar does (but is not nearly as lucrative for Hawaii, of course). But yes, if one were to listen to reporters, all one would know would be the ‘science du jour’, as you say.

LixiPixi

euripides said:
JMD suggested forgetting the Elements too, for they are something 'added' to the cards, and considering the swords, cups, staves and coins as things in themselves. What do they signify? How do we feel about them?

I love this statement, euri! I continually have trouble separating the wands/staves with the swords and pentacles in many instances. This profound statement really helped me to put each icon into their own perspective.

Thank you for giving me something to meditate on :)

LP~

stella01904

venicebard said:
Unnecessary to whom? (To most, I know.)
Exactly.
For example, you said earlier, "Emotion, the doer’s proper contribution to things, is like hunger or thirst, a belly-driven thing." The problem is not that the statement is incorrect, but that it jumps. You get "emotion once removed." It could just as easily be said that emotion originates in the head, after all, there is a thought pattern involved. But emotion, feelings, are generally understood as residing in the heart.
But it has to be an explanation, else it is simplistic.
Which I offered earler:
"The Baton grows in a natural form, it is not manufactured. But it can be selected and peeled" (here I think he is saying that you can MAKE it into a "manufactured" thing, if you want) "..it represents the force of nature that grows, the sexual and creative power. What we feel is not invented: the desire is a matter of attraction, a person we like or not. The sexuality is not an energy that is forged, but we can channel it, even sublimate it."
Where in the world did you get the idea that the Gnostic view of things precludes a fall? Why do you think ‘men do not see it’?
The Thomas Gospel. Scroll down to 113:
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html
Kind of like "all things possess Buddha nature", "all things are Buddha things." In other words, it's here, now, adjust your focus a little bit. This is what I meant, not saying that every Gnostic statement matches every Sutra all down the line.

I think TdM the same way. I think it alludes to the Cabala, the Hebrew alphabet, Gnosticism, the Golden Proportion, the Greek cult at Marseilles and who knows what else, but it is not identical. It is a thing in itself, whoever created it NEEDED all these different metaphors to get the idea across.
I assume you jest here (else things at this point become mere tit-for-tat): the point is that staves are the only suit symbol capable of becoming fire and that their use to direct the eye is consistent with the light so produced.
No joke. I see you jumping again here: "capable of becoming."
Here you squirm, rather than reason (by falling back on an easy ‘out’, a common trick intellectuals use to avoid serious consideration of contrary viewpoints).
It wasn't a squirm, I'll clarify:
I mentioned that some magical traditions correspond blades to fire, since blades are forged in fire but batons or wands would not last long on one.
Personally, I don't think this is "proper" for TdM either but I can see the sense of it for ritual and the like. You said you "strongly took issue with it" and went on with the Batons-on-fire-universal-solvent explanation. Which is valid, but it's ONE way, not the ONLY way.

Campbell uses the term "stuck in the metaphor" for people who think they have the One True God and everyone else is praying to devils. It might also apply to someone who thinks the directional color for the north should ALWAYS be black, for ALL people, all over the world. Or someone who says blades can never, EVER be corresponded to fire.
At the risk of ‘getting down in the same mud’, I should point out that I would not have inserted them were they not required, but the greater point here is that if the insertions were ‘not a problem’, they would have required no answer (hence I shall refrain from such jests in future).
Everything that a person acknowledges that they noticed is a "problem" now? Interesting line of thought.
How so? To simply state something does not in itself make the case for it (unless it be common sense, and even this usually needs defending nowadays), which is why I defend stipulations with chapter-and-verse even at the risk of being considered verbose (which is what I consider myself anyway). You need something specific here besides Campbell’s charming idealism (based primarily on mythology, not Hermetic metaphysics), unless you are ‘preaching to the choir’ (I wish I had a choir to preach to).
Well, for starters, you pass the dogma-and-doctrine mongerers early on in the Trump series. These things are not appropriate at the higher grades. Rather, they seem to be about getting free of all that.
Sometimes you appear to fence with someone other than me, as I agree that man’s psyche is much healthier in a round lodge, such as that of a Cheyenne (I know, Black Elk was Lakota Sioux) or a Kelt. But as for Hawking, he is an idiot:
LOL, DAY-um! How many IQ points are required to climb out of the Idiot Bin? :D
if he weren’t he would understand that time as he means it has no beginning but is continuous, rather, and therefore any instant must have continuity with both future and past, which his hypothetical ‘first instant’ would not. But then people of his ilk even believe a point without extent can ‘contain’ all matter, and that Euclid has been superceded by Riemann, and other such dribble (including the at this point stubbornly preposterous idea that gravity, rather than electromagnetic forces between plasma filaments, is what shapes the stellar universe).
Okay, I see. He is an idiot because he clings to the "first instant" concept.
The only real clutter is falsehood, or the irrelevant. Which am I? (Just tapping blades here, as I know you didn’t mean any insult.)
No, I didn't. I've been questioning some of your methods, as you have been doing mine. Fair enough.
Where do you get this? I should think it is the Sword that is more closely bound up with the heart—that which pumps blood but does not create or hold it
The physical heart is chambered, hollow - it fills and empties, fills and empties...remind you of anything?
—since the heart is its chief goal (its point’s objective). This is true of both concrete sword
Concrete swords kill concrete hearts.
and what it stands for, namely thought’s expression, making (or objecting to) distinctions. The Cup, remember, symbolizes peace, not passion, whereas it is the latter that gets the heart a-pumpin’.
As mentioned already, I read Cups as emotions - which can definitely affect the heart rate.
Why do you talk down here?
Sorry, didn't intend to come off that way.
True, I am not a reader, but have been working to piece together the origin of the Tarot of Marseilles since 1972. Do I seem like a novice? (Forgive me if I bristle slightly here, but I know precisely how it ‘balances very nicely’: the way it ‘fits together’ is something I have struggled seemingly in vain to interest people in, but the historians are too into ‘history’ to notice, and no-one else seems to care much about anything that went unnoticed by such as Waite and Crowley and that Frenchman Eliphas.)
(Lol, "that Frenchman"....) Well, there are a few of us here who have been praising Jodorowsky to high heaven for finding some patterns that run through the deck and repeat over and over, in different ways, like a simple, elegant framework, and for putting the whole deck together into a mandala of consciousness. Waite & Levi & Uncle Al missed that, as well. I get a feeling that you have arrived at something quite different, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'm sure it works, I don't think there is a One True Way with this thing.
???
As long as you recognize the creative aspect, which tends to get submerged in the sexual (its procreative guise) but is the essence of the suit. Oh, I see now: yes, sublimated, but this makes it sound sort of as if the original is being sidetracked into something ‘other’, when in fact the sublimation is what ends its being sidetracked and restores it to its proper place (place where it becomes once again a boon).
Procreation has it's place, I wouldn't say everyone needs to put on a hair shirt at the first stirrings of the hormones, and scourge themselves until we all go extinct. But yes, I was referring to the raw energy.
But yes, if one were to listen to reporters, all one would know would be the ‘science du jour’, as you say.
Reporters would have us scared to eat anything at all if we actually paid attention to them. But doctors always seem to be changing, as well. Maybe not every day, but often enough.

venicebard

stella01904 said:
It could just as easily be said that emotion originates in the head, after all, there is a thought pattern involved.
All things start in the head. But being guided by emotion is not what one means when one says “Use your head,” now, is it.
But emotion, feelings, are generally understood as residing in the heart.
Sure: heart (corison) = love, etc. But methinks there is more to it than that: we associate the best emotions with the heart—as in the expression “go with your heart”—and we do this because it is the seat of conscience, where our innermost being—our ‘high self’—passes judgment on an emotion (feeling or desire) or the action it generates (as only emotion can).
“. . . The sexuality is not an energy that is forged, but we can channel it, even sublimate it." Yes, and my point is that it already is that thing one ‘sublimates’ it to ‘become’, imprisoned in matter (to use the Gnostic metaphor). In other words, it is not simply sexual energy but energy itself, whose most manifest guise is sexual but whose most powerful guise is not.
The Thomas Gospel. Scroll down to 113:
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html
Nothing in the Thomas Gospel that I know of denies the Fall, certainly not verse 113, which tells us not to wait for some Messiah who is somebody else (that is, to save ourselves, undergo the Great Work now), and that the Kingdom is to be found within, that is, by exploring the inner horizon or ‘dimension’ of what is already here, or as you say:
. . . "all things possess Buddha nature", "all things are Buddha things."
But you go on to say:
In other words, it's here, now, adjust your focus a little bit. This is what I meant, not saying that every Gnostic statement matches every Sutra all down the line.
(I never thought you were saying that.) Here is the crux of this particular difference in our outlooks: it ain’t ‘a little bit’, but a lot. For most are unaware even of the existence of the inner horizon, hence far from focusing on it. It is a matter of the task being easy but hidden, which makes it difficult (like the halibut not realizing all he has to do is push on the hook instead of pull and the halibut knot will loosen).
No joke. I see you jumping again here: "capable of becoming."
‘Burnable’, as in ‘the only burnable suit’, is not a jump. Moreover, its main facets as a symbol all point to the same element: directs the eye that works by light (fire), is burnable (fire), and is the raw beginning or first element (fire) prior to refinement into air-water-earth.
It wasn't a squirm, I'll clarify:
I mentioned that some magical traditions correspond blades to fire, since blades are forged in fire but batons or wands would not last long on one.
(What you probably sense in rejecting them is that it doesn’t hold water because what remains distinct in fire is less likely to be fire than what dissolves into it, which they too would notice if they were not themselves ‘stuck in the metaphor’.)
. . . You said you "strongly took issue with it" and went on with the Batons-on-fire-universal-solvent explanation. Which is valid, but it's ONE way, not the ONLY way.
No, merely the only self-consistent way. (Show me another.) I can understand suppressing one’s noting of elemental correlations to try to stoke something else out of imagination’s fireplace, but when noting them again, one ought to get them right.

Campbell uses the term "stuck in the metaphor" for people who think they have the One True God and everyone else is praying to devils. It might also apply to someone who thinks the directional color for the north should ALWAYS be black, for ALL people, all over the world. Or someone who says blades can never, EVER be corresponded to fire.
Oh, you meant it as a mild insult (that’s okay, I’m used to it, so please do not apologize, and I mean that). Sure they can be corresponded to fire, but it simply does not get to the meat of the matter to so correspond them (I snuck in one jest here, sorry).
Everything that a person acknowledges that they noticed is a "problem" now? Interesting line of thought.
Perhaps you simply ‘answer everything’ in passing, sorry if I misconstrued it.
Well, for starters, you pass the dogma-and-doctrine mongerers early on in the Trump series. These things are not appropriate at the higher grades. Rather, they seem to be about getting free of all that.
What does that have to do with there being no Fall? But secondly, it seems to me that trump V LePape (to which I presume you were in part referring by the term ‘dogma-and-doctrine mongerers’) represents blessing, since his hand is raised in its delivery (and since it is 5, B or beth, the birch-of-the-white-bark or clean slate whose innocence is cleansed of outward things because it marks the beginning of the year and the direction of the inner horizon, 5 being boron, whose ore is borax). The Gnostics (evidently non-dualists, much like Jewish Gnostics, and myself) who designed it were seemingly more interested in conveying symbolic truth in commonly grasped terms than venting at a clergy who did not fully ‘get it’. IIII L’Empereur, for example, symbolizes simply what rules the 4 elements, even judging by number alone!
Okay, I see. He is an idiot because he clings to the "first instant" concept.
Because he clings to a meaningless concept, though admittedly physics academia has been hornswaggled by it. (Is it really intelligence that makes one good at manipulating equations learned by rote without inquiring into their soundness as concepts?)
The physical heart is chambered, hollow - it fills and empties, fills and empties...remind you of anything?
Well-spoken. It does work by means of cups, yet it would seem to be something more, a motor driving the blood, not just a cup to hold or form it. But point well taken.
As mentioned already, I read Cups as emotions - which can definitely affect the heart rate.
Quite true. Sometimes it might be conscience, which resides there, reacting to emotions, but adrenaline, which emotion causes, does step up the heart-rate presumably.

As for Jodorowsky, I only know him by his tarot, but methinks he does too much new coloration, obscuring some very important symbolism thereby. Patterns—recurring ones especially—are always interesting, though.

LixiPixi

Yikes! LP~ exit stage left! :eek:

stella01904

venicebard said:
All things start in the head. But being guided by emotion is not what one means when one says “Use your head,” now, is it.Sure: heart (corison) = love, etc. But methinks there is more to it than that: we associate the best emotions with the heart—as in the expression “go with your heart”—
Broken heart, heavy heart, cold heart, icy heart, black heart, heart of stone, sinking heart, with one's heart in one's throat, cheatin' heart, lonely heart...
need I go on?
Nothing in the Thomas Gospel that I know of denies the Fall,
Not in so many words. But if the Kingdom of Heaven is here, now, how is "here, now" fallen?
No, merely the only self-consistent way.
To you. There is something very subjective about this.
Sure they can be corresponded to fire, but it simply does not get to the meat of the matter to so correspond them (I snuck in one jest here, sorry).
And I correspond them to fire as well, at least in TdM. I just don't see them as intellect.
Perhaps you simply ‘answer everything’ in passing, sorry if I misconstrued it.
Well, I don't have as much time at my disposal today, so I may miss a few.
But secondly, it seems to me that trump V LePape (to which I presume you were in part referring by the term ‘dogma-and-doctrine mongerers’) represents blessing,
Blessing his obedient followers who are convinced that they NEED him, or some middleman, to converse with the divine.
(and since it is 5, B or beth,
Isn't 5 "H" in the French system?
As for Jodorowsky, I only know him by his tarot, but methinks he does too much new coloration, obscuring some very important symbolism thereby. Patterns—recurring ones especially—are always interesting, though.
LOL, that was my initial reaction: "He's gone and monkeyed with it, I'll pass." But the book is well worth reading. Especially for someone interested in recurring patterns.

Got to go now. I meant no insult and I've thoroughly enjoyed this, not everyone CAN argue the subject. Maybe we can resume another day.

venicebard

stella01904 said:
Broken heart, heavy heart, cold heart, icy heart, black heart, heart of stone, sinking heart, with one's heart in one's throat, cheatin' heart, lonely heart...
need I go on?
You miss the point: what does the heart itself signify? The way we determine this is to seek the meaning of it when used alone, as in to have heart, or ‘heartfelt’, or “my heart’s not in it.” Your examples are all qualified by negative adjectives or conditions.
But if the Kingdom of Heaven is here, now, how is "here, now" fallen?
Because man does not see or perceive it. That is what is meant by the Fall. By the way, I later figured out what you meant about the dogmatists being early-on in the trumps (or however you put it): the reason it escaped me at first is that the Fall is not dogma to me, as I was not brought up Christian. Rather it is my understanding of the human condition arrived at on the basis of Kabbalah (its inner meaning as I understand it).
And I correspond them to fire as well, at least in TdM. I just don't see them as intellect.
For clarity’s sake (not simply to have the last word), I never associated Batons with ‘intellect’. If you took me as so doing, it means you equate intellect with that which in its most constricted form is sexual energy or procreative power, namely the divine (meaning non-mortal) power to create, as this is what I said Batons represent. It is true that in its most expansive sense creative power means the level in nature corresponding to knowledge within, or more accurately (in modern jargon at least), gnosis, that on which imagination—and by extension creative power itself or concretization of imagination—has to draw (its wine-cellar towards creation of a pleasant dinner experience, assuming it were a chef). And the pips indeed deal with within, being the tenfold ramification of what nature herself experiences merely as four (the court cards).

Intellect, on the other hand, implies thinking and thought processes, hence in human terms the thoughts we construct to hide from truth—which usually hurts, man being fragile and mortal. [This is especially rampant in academia, where theory often trumps observation (as in gravitational cosmology).] This is the province of swords, of that which cuts one off from truth or gnosis. The meaning of this is that the human psyche or conscious doer knows not the full extent of self (as Jung has shown), just as the Gnostic demiurge knew no higher power than his and thought himself king-o-the-mound (or junk-heap, in man’s case). From its watery or fluid level, the doer makes inroads into thought—self’s airy level next to it, where it battles with itself (that is, with thoughts it created or entertained in the past)—but it seldom penetrates to the level two layers away, that of fire, and when it does so it gets burnt—sometimes by crowds with staves! Yet this is the level of its own conscious identity (straight back being at eye level within), thus creating the great irony of human existence: seeking self elsewhere (in other, in objects of nature) cuts us off from ourselves. This is what creates the vast ‘unconscious’ of which Jung speaks, though it is not ‘unconscious’ of us, merely we of it.
Blessing his obedient followers who are convinced that they NEED him, or some middleman, to converse with the divine.
You see, here you let your predilection towards rebellion—I have one too—cloud your understanding of the symbol: this deck was not made to appeal to the modern feminist, nor even to the medieval Gnostic exclusively, but to the perceptions of the age. They are concrete symbols for inner Truth, which is unfazed by the vicissitudes of human religion but pivots, rather, on the thinking of individuals. To see LePape as an outward symbol of blessing is not to accept all the teachings of the Church, merely its intent to bless.
Isn't 5 "H" in the French system?
I presume you mean the Hebrew letter heh? It is quite apparent (once it is fairly considered) that the Trumps do not follow Hebrew-Greek numbering but bardic numbering, however many self-styled experts have believed otherwise. And numerical order in bardic tradition runs: (H=0)A-E-I-O-B-M-P-F-K-G-T-D-N-L-R-S-U-Q-Y-St-Aa, ‘St’ being tzaddi, and Aa being teyt/theta by process of elimination, which Aa-palm fits to a tee (XXI LeMonde).

Ta, ta.

jmd

To pick up on one point, though not many make the connection between Batons and thinking, it has been done by those who prefer to make elemental attributions between Batons and Air (though would personally question the intrinsic value of this if adhered to without possible movement).

Also, as a direct depiction of this, the King of Batons can be seen as holding a giant fountain pen, delineating the points he wants to make by (to continue the Masonic analogy) drawing the tracing board upon the floor cloth.

On VeniceBard's last post, it isn't so much what 'self-styled experts' proclaim, but rather whether others find the suggestions convincing and truthful after their own investigation.

Some take the proclamation as sufficient evidence as authoritative (especially if oft repeated), others take it as needing to be questioned, others still as something to begin to work with until evidence to the contrary is presented.

The problem lies, from my perspective, in that any elucidation that goes behind what is presented goes behind what is presented - and what is perhaps at first even warranted.

Still, and that is the 'problem', the attributions presents itself from a sound pedagogical principle: begin with what is already accepted (the four elements as something that many work with and have some understanding), and continue to that which is to be learned.

The problem with this approach is that the jump is made without the question as to whether the pedagogical principle, sound though it is, is making unwarranted jumps: that there may be elemental correlations is accepted in blind faith.

Marseille pips have much that inner reflection can unveil, but would suggest that any systemisation is likely to take away from the tool unveiling its own nature.

By placing, for example, eight pencils as presented on the eight Batons, or eight staffs, or eight twigs, or eight tree-trunks, what do these call to mind about both the suit, and the sheer number presented?

These are some of the questions that become, from my perspective, useful for a developing understanding of the pips.

venicebard

jmd said:
To pick up on one point, though not many make the connection between Batons and thinking, it has been done by those who prefer to make elemental attributions between Batons and Air (though would personally question the intrinsic value of this if adhered to without possible movement).
I see a much closer relationship of Batons to will than to intellect: the general thinks about his strategy and then points with his staff to say "Go there!"
Also, as a direct depiction of this, the King of Batons can be seen as holding a giant fountain pen, delineating the points he wants to make by (to continue the Masonic analogy) drawing the tracing board upon the floor cloth.
But a fountain pen has a sword attached to the end, to dispense the ink, without which it is only a pointer.

jmd

A fountain pen does not have at its end a weapon attached, but rather a manufactured artificial quill (manufactured, in many cases, in metal for duration).

The quill is itself taken from the feather of a (usually) large bird - or at least, a bird with thick feathers, such as the goose.

The quill itself, incidentally, replaced the totally wooden reed pen, made entirely of wood, grass or straw, used from ancient Egyptian times to the present.

I am not suggesting that Batons 'should' be correlated to Air, but rather than they can be so related as they can likewise be to Fire, to Water, or to Earth.

Bringing to mind a writing implement brings down to earth the flightiness of thoughts.