Anyone use card sleeves?

euripides

Like these (random website, no endorsement!)

- LINK WAS HERE - but deleted cos I seem to be a failure at (a) finding bug free links and (b) cutting and pasting.... go google 'game card sleeves'

I've seen them at the gaming club, one guy has about three or four huge gaming decks with every card in a sleeve. They seem quite nice; some are plain or you can get themed backs (the Magic the Gathering pictures would suit tarot) but I don't know how they'd feel for shuffling with an entire tarot deck.

They are quite small - not big enough for many tarots, I think game cards are the size of a standard playing card. I thought as a creator they might be useful, especially for handmade majors-only decks or oracles.

(hmm, not sure if this should go in general chat or deck creation....)

GryffinSong

I never have, though I used to use them all the time for my Magic: The Gathering decks. I did laminate my Ferret Tarot though. If I wanted to use sleeves for a tarot deck I'd look at someplace that sells the envelopes used to display/sell notecards and such. You can get them in a huge variety of sizes, and they seal, so the cards wouldn't fall out. VERY slippery, though, these sleeves.

Abrac

I don't understand what the purpose would be of those colored sleeves. Doesn't that keep you from seeing the cards? I've seen clear sleeves for cards but I've never used them. I've got a lot of my collectible decks in clear plastic protective sheets you can put in a three-ring binder. I love being able to flip through the binder and easily see all the cards. :)

Le Fanu

*excited*

What are they? Every time I try to open that link my laptop shuts down! But curious...

GryffinSong

And here's an example of the other thing I was talking about. I think uline.com and a number of other places carry them too. Search on "photo sleeve" as a starting point. I think you can find a larger range of sizes than this particular site has, but I'm not finding it quickly.

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-662-polyester-tuck-lock-digital-photo-sleeves.aspx

ETA: I know I've seen them in the past where you can choose whether the opening is on the long side or the short side, and whether the sticky side of the sleeve is on the body or flap. Having the sticky stuff on the body of the sleeve makes it less likely that you'll damage your cards by it sticking to the card.

starrystarrynight

I think they are the size of standard baseball cards--2.5" x 3.5"-- and that was what they were originally designed to hold (if they are the same things as what I think you are talking about.) ACEO artists and collectors adopted them for use in storing their collections, and I always slipped the cards I painted into them before mailing them to the purchaser(s).

I'm not sure how they could be used for tarot cards that you read with, though...maybe simply for storing individual cards...?

Le Fanu

I did a search and couldn't work out what they were. Are we talking single individual cellophane bags for storing a card in? For why? :)

Barleywine

I also had them years ago for my rare Magic the Gathering cards. I believe they are much too small for a standard-size tarot deck, but could work for a mini. It would seem that having every card in one would make a "working" deck as a whole much too thick (not to mention too slippery) to handle well. If you don't like slick laminated cardstock, I doubt you would like these. LeFanu, if you google "Magic the Gathering accessories" you might find some.

Chronata

You can get cheapie ones that are perfectly clear, or the nice vinyl ones with solid colored backs.

I use them for reading with my original ATC sized decks, so I don't get the originals all messy.

And a few collaborative decks I have are also that size, but have different backs...so the sleeves are perfect for making them uniform and easier to read with.