Hey! Deck publishers!

Myrrha

Another thing is that our preferences here at AT are not necessarily a reflection of the tastes and preferences of the general public. For example the Necronomicon Tarot is (or at least was) very popular in the real world but not so much here at AT. Here at AT we loved the printed in China US games decks and didn't like the glossy printed in Italy decks but lots of people out there thought the China decks were stiff and didn't shuffle well and liked the lasting protection of the glossy decks.

Not to open a can of worms but it is pretty much a certain kind of person who reads and posts here (please don't throw things at me). We may be very vocal and visible but we aren't necessarily representative.

Zephyros

I agree Aeclectic does not represent a large objective number of Tarot users, but what makes this site different, I think, is the number of "celebrities" that walk its (metaphorical) halls. Although I am by no means saying only the big names' opinions matter, the fact we can communicate our opinions to them already sends them down the grapevine, and I'm not talking only of the independent publishers, but also important bloggers, commentators, authors or just simply extremely knowledgeable people.

Aeclectic is an "industry" site, for better or worse. I remember a deleted thread in Creation where a new member posted scans of her photographic deck, and the responses were kind of ok for Aeclectic, but I remember trying to explain in a post how blasé people here can be, looking at literally hundreds of decks a year. If Aeclectic does not cause trends in Tarot, it is certain that here is where they crystallize, and can perhaps be predicted. I do think it is a microcosm of the greater Tarot world.

greatdane

I'm just suggesting that if we don't like something

rather than grumbling AFTER the fact, it wouldn't hurt to just email publishers and direct them to certain threads. We don't need to bombard them and I certainly don't see us as coming off as kooks. If there are some things we REALLY don't care for generally, why not be heard? They have to make up their minds about certain things re decks anyway, why not look at our input? And I do think US Games does look at AT every day or at least every week. The others, I'm not sure. Oh and remember when MRP was redoing the Lovers card in the latest Boho Gothic? They certainly listened to our thoughts about not having a modern woman in the image. I just think that if we don't make our general feelings known about some things, well, then we take what we get. If I were a publisher of tarot decks, I would certainly want to know what ATers thought. Where else will they get such a good representation of readers on one site?

SunChariot

I know we've written about what we're weary of in decks and many of us have complained about some common issues (card stock, decks that are too large just because of the mammoth borders etc). I thought it's time for AT to start using it's clout. Maybe if a bunch of us actually emailed them, it would make a difference. Cat's Eye got made after there was an email campaign to US GAMES. Who is their market after all? WE ALL ARE. IF we emailed some of the biggest publishers and TOLD them what we realllly don't like, they would realize they might sell MORE of a deck if they didn't do, or did, certain things. If they were made to realize they would sell a lot more of a deck if they paid attention to what the majority of readers would like, we might actually make a difference in what's out there. How many threads are there that talk about disappointment in a certain deck after a lot of hype? Maybe it's time we make our desires known....

The thing is also that we don't all agree. Some people like borders (I actually do) and some don't. Some like big decks (I prefer them as I find it helps me see the image details more easily) but some have small hands and don't like them. Some hate keywords written on the cards and some really like them.

I think that it might be hard to come up with a consensus of what we like and don't. And even if we could and could get them to listen, then the people who did not fall into the majority might have trouble finding decks they like.

To me it is good that there are a variety of kinds of decks, so everyone can have their needs met.

Although I have to admit I am pretty sure most people do not like thin flimsy card stock, but even tastes in lamination vary.

Babs

Chiriku

If the basic principle GD is suggesting is making your voice heard when it comes to what works and doesn't work for you in decks, then sure, let's each have a go.

As SunChariot points out, my desires--e.g. for large card with as little border as possible---may be different to another ATer's, but then, they're free to make their own voice heard, as well.

Not all niche hobbyists, religious/spiritual groups, or other communities are fortunate enough to have such relatively unfettered access to the creators and leaders of their chosen field. The tarot community as such* is not as large as that of other groups---and if you narrow it down to the tarot collectors and tarot scholars, you have dramatically thinned the ranks, almost to the point of first-name basis---so we still have more sway with our "powers-that-be" than say, Barbie collectors have with Mattel or Unification Church members had with Sun Myung Moon and his family.

* That is, people who think of themselves as part of a tarot community. There are a whole bunch of people who lay out cards for themselves or their friends who do not think of themselves as tarotists.

gregory

I agree Aeclectic does not represent a large objective number of Tarot users, but what makes this site different, I think, is the number of "celebrities" that walk its (metaphorical) halls. Although I am by no means saying only the big names' opinions matter, the fact we can communicate our opinions to them already sends them down the grapevine, and I'm not talking only of the independent publishers, but also important bloggers, commentators, authors or just simply extremely knowledgeable people.
This is true. So that is why I pass my views onto one of the BIG names and let them pass it all on from a greater height than I can manage. I KNOW my views on stuff has been heard at meetings in Llewellyn - as have those of others here - and they didn't care (this one was about their lunatic big rattly boxes...)

But we are, as Myrrha says, only a small part of it all. I am also in other tarot communities where there are big people who are not here....

And the idea that there can ever be any kind of consensus here is - I won't say laughable, but I am thinking it !!!

Le Fanu

I wonder where this idea that AT members are a tiny minority? It's one of those things oft-repeated here. I wonder whether it is a myth? Somebody said it once and it has sort of become accepted as fact

Virtually everyone I know who is interested in tarot has passed through here or knows about it. They may not always post but many, perhaps most, do. Plus there are lots of ex-members, but they have passed here and let their opinions be known. I suppose there are a few people out there who don´t know what the internet is but, again, a minority.

For the record; my opinion; we're all a bit too fickle and contradictory to get any fixed opinion out there: Your flimsy cardstock is my "thankfully not thick" cardstock. Your bright colours are my garish colours. Your small hands don´t stretch to my big cards. Your cheap cardstock is my excellent quality cardstock. Your "traditional" meanings were invented yesterday. The organza bag that you want, I despise etc etc. :)

gregory

I wonder where this idea that AT members are a tiny minority? It's one of those things oft-repeated here. I wonder whether it is a myth? Somebody said it once and it has sort of become accepted as fact

Virtually everyone I know who is interested in tarot has passed through here or knows about it. They may not always post but many, perhaps most, do. Plus there are lots of ex-members, but they have passed here and let their opinions be known. I suppose there are a few people out there who don´t know what the internet is but, again, a minority.

Well - all I gotta say about that is I know a whole 3 readers IRL who I didn't meet for the first time here - and none is even slightly interested in joining up. A small sample, but telling ;)

swedishfish612

The organza bag that you want, I despise etc etc. :)

Le Fanu, I agree with most of your post, but I'm fairly certain that the one consensus everyone could come to is that NO ONE wants that organza bag! :p

gregory

Le Fanu, I agree with most of your post, but I'm fairly certain that the one consensus everyone could come to is that NO ONE wants that organza bag! :p

They are handy for things in suitcases... Also my granddaughter loves them.

But they do seem to have stopped putting those in..