Study Group Post 1- Houses (general information)

merissa_88

Unfortunately, I learned this stuff awhile back and gave away all my books. Some of it might be from evolutionary astrology. Some of it came from the late 1970s and early 1980s, when I was first learning. These alternative interpretations were added to the traditional house interpretations, not substituted for them.

I like the fifth house for romance because there is a type of "performing" or expressing yourself during courtship. You're interested in the other person but you are kind of showing off in a fun way, also. This seems very Leo to me.

The seventh house relates to all partnerships and how you relate to the other. I got this from Evolutionary Astrology - not sure exactly where.

I associate the fourth house also with home life. I think this comes from Marc Allen's book "Astrology for the New Age". I don't even think it's in print any more.

I learned about this 12th house meaning in the late seventies - I don't remember where. But there's a higher octave association/cosmic or Christ consciousness, and a lower octave association/self-undoing. Maybe I picked this up from Martin Shulman's karmic astrology series or Marc Allen's book? It seemed like there were a few books at that time with this association.

firecatpickles

Whoops. Jupiter is EXALTED in Cancer! The Moon rules it.

dimwem

I'm super new at this, I mean I will be learning as you discuss this and mostly lurking here. But I want to ask how do you determine what is in which house? Is it the picture of the sky facing a specific direction, then clockwise from there? I know it is specific to your birth date and place and time, but at the moment I was born... which sign was ruling and go from there?

I guess I'm also asking, does anybody know a good beginners book or website? Maybe just so I can catch up and get on the same page as everyone else?

firecatpickles

The zodiac wheel does NOT mirror what we see in the sky. The signs are named after the constellations but are not the same as the constellation.

Minderwiz

That's a very good point faerieluca, I too find it easier with a chart in front of me, and indeed I don't like a list of house and sign positions of the planets, it doesn't mean much to me, without a lot of effort. Show me a chart and it sort of clicks into place.

Whilst it is possible to post charts here, the file size limit means that they are small and don't come out well. Try Astro.com and get a copy of your own chart, this will help picture the houses.

Kat - you got it. I didn't want to point that out, rather you found it out yourself as you'll now remember it. However, in Horary Astrology, sometimes the exalted planet may be taken as the house ruler, especially if it's got additional dignity by triplicity or terms. which in certain degrees of Cancer is true of Jupiter. So I was wondering if Llewellyn had come up with a different take on rulerships.

Perhaps I can throw out a question for consideration here - if you were going to pick a planet to represent 'the mother' which would you pick?

dimwem, if you look at the link in Nik's very first post in this thread you'll get a link to an explanation of the houses in terms of the sky as you look at it. It you remember that the Earth revolves once on it's axis a day (accurate enough for this point), you'll realise that as you stand looking at the sky the rotation of the Earth moves the zodiac in front of you. At any moment in time there's a degree of the zodiac rising on the Ascendant, and if that moment is the time of your birth, then that degree is your Ascendant.

You would use an Ephemeris, which is a daily list of where the planets are by sign placement, to then place the planets in your houses, for example if your AScendant is 10 degrees Leo, and Mars is placed at 28 degrees Cancer, it has already risen when you were born, and is in your twelfth house.

It's much easier though to use a website such as www.astro.com to feed in your time, date and place of birth and it will do everything for you.

firecatpickles

Minderwiz said:
Perhaps I can throw out a question for consideration here - if you were going to pick a planet to represent 'the mother' which would you pick?

Venus!

214red

Minderwiz said:
Thanks Kat,

Not sure if anyone wishes to comment on your statement, or put forward an alternative view.

One other thing that occurs to me, is that it might also help participants if people could give their sources, for any statements, or give their reasoning for statements, if it isn't something you've read or seen somewhere.

I know that's a little academic but it does help to share knowledge sources within the group
i agree minderwiz, i am fairly new to all of this....will learn as things go along

214red

Kilted Kat said:
Whoops. Jupiter is EXALTED in Cancer! The Moon rules it.

Does this now change your position on the forth house as mother or does the moon still make you think of mother?

214red

minderwiz beat me too it and i didnt read the posts above...less haste me thinks!