Saturn Returns

13thFaeChylde

What are they?

At what point does one have them?

Thanks for any info, I have heard this term many times and have never been able to understand what it means.

Waterlily

In your birth chart, you look at not just where the sun is (your Sun Sign), but where all the planets are. After your birth, the planets keep moving of course, so astrology looks at the movement (“transits”) of the planets relative to your natal chart (the fixed chart when you were born, like a snapshot in time). Saturn takes approximately 29- 29 ½ years to travel around the Zodiac. The Saturn Return occurs when Saturn “Returns” to the degree where it was when you were born, completing a full cycle. Your own Saturn Return phase will be specific to your birth chart, but you’ll feel it for about a year.

Saturn is the planet that represents restriction, contraction, rules, but also responsibility, maturity, and manifestation, among other things. When Saturn returns to its original place in your birth chart, you’ve gone through a cycle of change that hopefully brings you to a higher level of maturity.

For some people the Saturn Return is difficult, especially if they’re not ready to give up things from their youth. If you’re resistant to change, the SR can be hard. But Saturn is asking you to give up things you’ve outgrown. If you go with the flow, you can embark on another 29-year cycle of growth. Some people fly by their SR’s without even noticing any difficulty, because they’re ready for the next level in their lives.

A lot of people do major things around their 29th/30th birthdays, such as getting married, getting divorced, starting a family, moving, changing careers etc. Most people just put it down to “turning 30”, but it’s really Saturn prodding them to “grow up”. Saturn is saying, “this box is too small – time for a bigger box.”

If you're between the ages of 28 and 30 and feeling antsy, you're feeling your Saturn Return.

If you've never had your chart cast, you can do one yourself at www.astro.com. From there you can chart the transits against your natal chart.

Moongold

13th FaeChylde,

I am preparing for my second Saturn return which occurs in almost exactlly two years. I could write a lot about both Saturn returns but won't bore you with it now.

In this one, I am learning some lessons about faith and application that I did not learn all that well at the time of my first. Perhaps I am too judgmental of myself here. If life is a journey towards integration with spirit, I am learning at a greater depth now. It is an opportunity.

If you would like to send me by PM your birth details, including exact time and place, I have the software to calculate the time of both Saturn returns for you, and possibly to give you some more information. I've read your post in chat and was warmed to see you here.

Astrology can you give you the most profound insights.

Many blessings

Moongold

13thFaeChylde

Thank you, Moongold!!

A pm is on its way.

isthmus nekoi

What often isn't mentioned in Saturn Return articles is the placement of your natal Saturn and how Saturnian your chart is. I've found this to make a difference in the severity of the transit. Obviously, if your natal Saturn is afflicted (beset w/squares or oppositions), Saturn conj Saturn will set off all those afflictions and make for a difficult time than someone w/a well placed Saturn. Also, Saturnian people tend to be more familiar w/Saturn's energy so the transit doesn't feel so... out of the blue.

13thFaeChylde

isthmus nekoi said:
What often isn't mentioned in Saturn Return articles is the placement of your natal Saturn and how Saturnian your chart is. I've found this to make a difference in the severity of the transit. Obviously, if your natal Saturn is afflicted (beset w/squares or oppositions), Saturn conj Saturn will set off all those afflictions and make for a difficult time than someone w/a well placed Saturn. Also, Saturnian people tend to be more familiar w/Saturn's energy so the transit doesn't feel so... out of the blue.

??????????
I really wish I spoke astrologese, b/c I have no idea what you just said :)

isthmus nekoi

Pls excuse me! I forget how foreign astro-speak can be. To put it in a less jargony way, Saturn is different in everyone's chart. He may be strong or weak, influential or not, happy in his sign, or unhappy. So depending on a bunch of factors like that, he is nicer in some charts than others. (But to be frank, he's never actually nice! ;))

13thFaeChylde

Thanks, I can understand you now ;)

dadsnook2000

Saturn shortcuts

Yes, where Saturn is in your chart is important. However, there are two "shortcuts" to grasping Saturn's methodology for working in "your" chart. These are sometimes helpful to those who are early into their astrological studies.

FIRST, Saturn and Jupiter relationships. Saturn is our regulator while Jupiter is our go-faster, go-bigger guy. Whether they are in aspect or not, they have what is known as a "phase relationship" that can be helpful to understand -- since they are a linked duo.

* Saturn with Jupiter 0 to 44 degrees ahead (CCW): an instinct for pracicality should be evident.
* Saturn with Jupiter 45 to 89 degrees ahead (CCW): seeking to reshape past ways into new methods.
* Saturn -- Jupiter 90 to 144 degrees ahead: Tends to overcommit and ignore commonsense.
* 145 to 189 degrees ahead: Develop your own method to obtain practical results in life.
*180 to 224 degrees: Test ideals against or with others.
*225 to 269 degrees: Knows how to sell practical ideas and is a role model.
* 270 to 314 degrees: Initiates projects, realizes what is obsolete, achieves goals.
* 315 towards 0 point: Fails, fails again, then gains. Originates core ideas and trys to prove them.

These eight phases in the Saturn-Jupiter relationship can show how one can best work out the saturn return. I'll write about the Saturn-Sun relationship if anyone is interested. I have to run and do some errands right now. Dave.