snake dream

inanna_tarot

last night I had a dream about a snake - and it scared the b.jesus out of me. This yellow snake was in a room, I think I had put it there or knew it was already in the room as I was attempting to put this snake back in a bag to carry it out with me.
So I had one of those grippy grabby sticks and was trying to talk nicely to the snake so he would let me get him in the bag. In the end I really angered him as he was thrashing around whilst i had him in the 'grabber' to put him in the bag. Eventually got him in a bag... only to realise it was the wrong one! and he had to go in a smaller bag. The idea of me taking this snake out of a bag for him to eat me alive wasnt a good thought, and the dream ended there with me feeling very :S about this snakes presense in my dreamtime!

Ive never even thought about snakes until that dream and it has a little freaked me out:)
Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Milfoil

If this were my dream a yellow snake that I feared would mean some sort of powerful, energetic, possibly creative or intellectual issue which I am struggling to face and trying to put back in the bag. This situation has the power to be all consuming and hence VERY scary but also incredibly empowering if I get it right too.

Thats just me - what do you feel?

huredriel

Googling snake meanings will bring forth lots of info, but this is one I found. The fact that your snake was yellow would correspond to the solar plexus chakra, so I would look at the aspects below in relation to issues around that area :)

From Animal-Speak, the Spiritual and Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small by Ted Andrews ISBN 0-87542-028-1

Keynote: Rebirth, Resurrection, Initiation and Wisdom

To the Native Americans, the snake is a symbol of transformation and healing. Snake ceremonies involved learning to transmute the poisons within the body after being bitten multiple times. These activated the energy of kill or cure, ultimately leading to dramatic healings.

In the Meso-American societies, the serpent or snake was depicted as feathered and flying, a symbol of their greatest god and hero, Quetsalcoatl, the embodiment of the dying god who would someday return. In many ways he was the patron of the Toltecs, and it was said that the heavens and stars and all the motions of the universe were under his dominion.

In Greece the snake was also a symbol of alchemy and healing. The god Hermes carried a staff upon which were entwined two snakes. This caduceus symbol is the primary symbol of western medicine and doctors. It is the symbol of wisdom expressed through healing.

In India the Goddess Vinata was the mother of snakes and a symbol of water and the underworld. Also in India were the demigods, Naga and their beautiful wives Naginis, who were usually depicted as half cobra and half deity. The god Vishnu is often depicted sleeping on the serpent of eternity call Ananta. Shiva wears snakes for bracelets and necklaces, representing sexuality.

The serpent has long been a symbol of sexual/creative life force within humans as is taught in eastern traditions. The kundalini or serpent fire lies coiled at the base of the spine. As we grow and develop, the primal energy is released, rising up the spine. This in turn activates energy centers in the body and mind, opening new dimensions and levels of awareness, health and creativity.

In Chinese astrology, one of the twelve years is named for the snake. Those born within that year are believed to have the qualities of compassion, clairvoyance and charm. They usually need to learn lessons associated with forgiveness, superstitiousness and possessiveness as well.

In Egypt the snake has also has mystical significance. The uraeus is a head band in the shape of the snake. The head of the snake rests and sticks out at the brow area. It was believed to represent a state of inner sight and control of the universe. It was a symbol worn by those who were initiated. Some believe it to be variations of the eye of Horus, while others see it as the sacred eye of Ra. It represents a certain degree of wisdom and understanding.

Because it sheds its skin, the snake has long been a symbol of death and rebirth. Before the snake begins to shed its skin, its eyes will begin to cloud over. It gives the snake a trancelike appearance. To many mystics and shamans this indicated the ability of the snake to move between the realms of the living and the dead, of crossing over from life to death and then back to life again.

The snake has often been depicted along with its relatives, the serpent and the dragon as a guardian. It is found in myth and lore guarding treasures, the springs of life or sacred places.

Anytime a snake shows up as a totem, you can expect death and rebirth to occur in some area of your life. It can also reflect that your own creative forces are awakening. Physiologically, it can activate the sexual drive, bring more energy, etc. Spiritually it can stimulate greater perception of how to apply your insight and intuition. Your own vision and intuition will become more accurate. Learning opportunities, formal and informal will surface frequently. You will be able to swallow and digest whatever you take in.

Learning to use the eyes to mesmerize and look into the hearts and souls of others directly is part of what traditional snake medicine can teach. It may even indicate a need to look more closely into your own heart and soul.

Individuals with the snake totem will find themselves extremely sensitive to smells and fragrances.... the sense of smell is linked to higher forms of discrimination and spiritual idealism.

Snakes are symbols of change and healing. They have speed and agility, so those who have snakes come into their life will usually find changes and shifts occur quickly and are soon recognized and defined. When snake comes into your life you can look for a rebirth into new powers of creativity and wisdom.

Lynny

I am no expert on dreams or dream interpretations, but I know a little about animals and their teachings. The snake is an animal of change. It sheds its skin to rid itself of the old and reveal the new. Maybe your reaction to the snake is a fear of change, and putting the snake in the bag may represent you trying to stop or control the change. By the snakes reaction (anger), it may be trying to tell you to let the changes take their course. The snake heals itself by shedding, and you may feel better after as well.

BUT! As I don't know anything about you, or your situation, feel free to disregard what I have said. ^^;; The snake may symbolize something entirely different for you, in which case the interpretation I gave is null and void, heh.

Daizdy

I see this dream a few different ways but what stands out in my mind is the word, "CAUTION", as in red light, "yellow" light, green light. Proceed with caution.

In the dream you were so focused on getting the snake in the bag you didn't realize you were placing it into the wrong bag. I think there's some issue with someone else or yourself that needs to be handled delicately but in your attempt to manage it or contain it (the bag) you've actually mishandled it by being overly cautious or not cautious enough. Now, you have to go back and try again but this time it's a little different because there's an upset either with your own emotions or someone else's.

Just as an analogy, it reminds me of times when we're trying to tell someone something that might upset them. We beat around the bush, we act a little weird and the other person is so not getting where we're coming from. We're trying so hard to be delicate when what we should really do is go head on. It could be in regard to another person or something we're trying to do. We're being so flipping cautious about the steps we take to accomplish something and the task is responding by simply not working out for us. So, now, we have to do it again...

And, of course, I could be completely wrong!! Good luck to you! :)

kazza

I have a different interpretation for you. My mum a little while back was dreaming about a snake all the time. I eventually looked it up in my dream book and it said deception and trickery, and sure enough my mother found out someone was deceiving her.

Is there anyone one in your life that you feel is deceiving you or that could be. The fact that you were talking nice to the snake but was still angry with you. Is there someone you are being really nice to in your life but feel they are going behind your back, or could be or is being really nasty to you. If you do feel someone is doing this or is, by putting the snake in the bag it's like you want the situation to end or want to put it behind you, the wrong bag could mean your handling the situation the wrong way. In my dream book yellow means, connected with the emotional self, the attributes are thinking, detachment and judgement. Maybe that is what is called for with this person.

Is there anything like that happening in your life now. Just a different thought for you. I've also read snakes can mean a sexual thing.

Cactus

It's really hard to say what the snake means. I had a dream that my husband and I were in a bedroom but it had a dirt floor. We had what we thought was a pet snake and wanted to keep it in our room.

Well, the "pet" snake ended up chasing us all over the room and we tried to outwit it and it kept following us. We couldn't get out of the room.

After reading your post, it just dawned on me that a while after that dream, we had someone try to say he was injured on my husband's job site (he's a builder). We know that he was lying (no witness to his "accident") plus he had previous medical records indicating that there was an injury ALREADY there. So he was trying to swindle and deceive us.

The snake in my dream could have been him (he IS a snake) chasing us around no matter what we tried to do - enclosing us in a room, meaning trying to get his lawyer to box us in so that he'd win.

It could mean so many things so perhaps take all the meanings and focus to see which one rings true in your heart. In the meantime, be careful and consider yourself warned, just in case!

Dancing Bear

By Huredriel:: The serpent has long been a symbol of sexual/creative life force within humans as is taught in eastern traditions. The kundalini or serpent fire lies coiled at the base of the spine. As we grow and develop, the primal energy is released, rising up the spine. This in turn activates energy centers in the body and mind, opening new dimensions and levels of awareness, health and creativity.

I also see snakes in dreams as a sexual thing.. In the way we see our sexuality, the conflicts and non conflicts we have with the opposite sex and our partners.I agree he sits at the base of our spine ready to rise up at any time.. he governs the base chakra,(Red) Flight or fight , the Sacral chakra (Orange) how we see ourself, our sexuality , and Our Solar Plexus chakra (yellow) governing Emotions.Once we have conquered these areas, Snakes starts to affect the other centres.. It can be a good experience and not so good, depends on what has happened, our views etc in these areas.

I dreamt of 2 smakes last night.. one was a banded snake, in which kept trying to bite me, I eventually tamed it, then some horror threw in a deadly poisonous one in at me ( challenge ) .. I grabbed it at the back of the head and threw it in a direction that i was able to kept the banded one safe and get myself out of there... I know exactly where this dreams fits in my life. and it does fit in conjunction with the Sexuality theory.

Not saying the sexuality theory fits everyone.. but for me it does.

Cactus

Daizdy said:
I see this dream a few different ways but what stands out in my mind is the word, "CAUTION", as in red light, "yellow" light, green light. Proceed with caution.

In the dream you were so focused on getting the snake in the bag you didn't realize you were placing it into the wrong bag. I think there's some issue with someone else or yourself that needs to be handled delicately but in your attempt to manage it or contain it (the bag) you've actually mishandled it by being overly cautious or not cautious enough. Now, you have to go back and try again but this time it's a little different because there's an upset either with your own emotions or someone else's.

And I must add that even if the snake represents wisdom, maybe your dream is still telling you that you are putting your wisdom (the snake) in the wrong area (bag) - hence caution that you are not being wise where you should be wise!

Like Daizdy said, you're mishandling something; so what does the snake represent? A person? Your wisdom and intuition? Pay attention to your feeling of fear about the dream. Perhaps this is your subconscious also trying to warn you through this emotion of fear.

Cactus

Dancing Bear said:
I also see snakes in dreams as a sexual thing.. In the way we see our sexuality, the conflicts and non conflicts we have with the opposite sex and our partners.I agree he sits at the base of our spine ready to rise up at any time.. he governs the base chakra,(Red) Flight or fight , the Sacral chakra (Orange) how we see ourself, our sexuality , and Our Solar Plexus chakra (yellow) governing Emotions.Once we have conquered these areas, Snakes starts to affect the other centres..

Oh gosh. Now I'm on to another theory. It could totally be what Dancing Bear said. Now my snake dream could be about sex since my husband was also in the dream. And so could your dream be about sex.

I'm now confusing things. But how are we to learn if opinions aren't shared, right? :)