Professional readers - photos of yourself to advertise?

rainboweve

Was wondering if anyone who has experience doing paid readings on a regular basis could chime in on this, as I have mixed feelings about it. I've read on various online blogs that people generally like to see a real human being behind the blog/business (general advice, not necessarily tarot related), and as such its recommended to use a picture of yourself in your professional profile. I don't have a problem with this line of thinking and know that many readers on the phone/chat lines use photos of themselves in their listings as well as readers who run their own independent blogs/websites.

My issue is this: do you think that representing yourself with a personal photograph is more likely to drum up business, or more likely to turn off clients? I'm sure we all know the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" but it does seem to be human nature to find certain qualities more appealing than others, and of course this varies from person to person.

I suppose I'm just wondering, to professional readers: do you use a photograph of yourself (versus a "stock image" like a picture of one of the cards etc) on your personal site/blog/work site? Why or why not?

Your thoughts much appreciated :)

Citrin

I understand what you mean. :) I'm almost 30 but most people say I look like 18-20 sigh... So I've sometimes been worried that my "young looks" will scare people off thinking "ugh what does she know about life, she's a teenager!". :p

But from my point of view; I'm putting myself out there on instagram and YouTube and I'm hoping that people who resonate with what I say about tarot and my tarot practice will want to work with me for who I am, not the way I look or my age. I think that's all you can do basically, to attract the "right" clients.

I would personally not feel inclined to get a reading by a completely anonymous person online. Maybe that's unfair of me, but I have this fear that the frauds hide behind being anonymous... :/ (I do understand being in the tarot closet, but yeah...)

rainboweve

I understand what you mean. :) I'm almost 30 but most people say I look like 18-20 sigh... So I've sometimes been worried that my "young looks" will scare people off thinking "ugh what does she know about life, she's a teenager!". :p

But from my point of view; I'm putting myself out there on instagram and YouTube and I'm hoping that people who resonate with what I say about tarot and my tarot practice will want to work with me for who I am, not the way I look or my age. I think that's all you can do basically, to attract the "right" clients.

I would personally not feel inclined to get a reading by a completely anonymous person online. Maybe that's unfair of me, but I have this fear that the frauds hide behind being anonymous... :/ (I do understand being in the tarot closet, but yeah...)

Thank you Citrin! I'm right there with you - almost 30 but younger looking, which is why I asked this question. I almost didn't post this thread at first because after doing some thinking I realized that waiting for the "right" clients is all we really can do, regardless of our physical appearances.

Good to know your opinion on the anonymous as well - I do see it as being a bigger potential for fraud, but I know there are some people/readers out there who just value their privacy. In my case I'm happy to put myself out there in photograph form - was mostly just worrying about potential clients being turned off by my appearance, as I had the idea that some people might prefer a reader who seems older/more mature/more wise.

nisaba

My issue is this: do you think that representing yourself with a personal photograph is more likely to drum up business, or more likely to turn off clients?

I have never used a photograph in publicity material. But then, the vast majority of my readings are face-to-face. I do only a small proportion of my readings online.

I suppose I'm just wondering, to professional readers: do you use a photograph of yourself (versus a "stock image" like a picture of one of the cards etc) on your personal site/blog/work site? Why or why not?

I don't see the need.

Let me say this. There's a venue near here, which has a "psychic fair" every three months, regular as clockwork. I don't like the energy of the place (I have to get out after about twenty minutes) or the guy who runs it (he's after the money and he's a sleaze), so I don't read there, but many of my friends do have stalls there or read there, so I rock up every time to say hello and then run for my life <grin>. The stallholders are in one hall, the readers in an other. Most of the readers have giant banners with larger-than-lifesize airbrushed glamour-shots of themselves next to their table, right where they are sitting. You cannot help comparing them to their pictures and thinking "they must be having a bad day today, they look like hell" - the instinct is to compare the living organic person with a digitally manipulated image. Bad idea. If I were ever tempted to have stay long enough in that environment to have a reading, I'd be going to the tiny minority that *don't* do that.

If you are going to use a photo, at least make it a realistic one, not a glamour-shot.

Zephyros

I would say that it would help because times are changing and people are becoming more and more used to the internet not being completely anonymous anymore. With Facebook being as being as it is with real names and pictures having a picture on your site does lend some credibility, especially where money is involved. Like nisaba said, best if it isn't a glamour shot as that does the opposite. Seems somewhat "Vegas" and cheap.

But a sensible, good picture adds a good feeling, I think. In today's Facebook environment, a lack of a picture could raise eyebrows. You don't have to be a model, but something that makes sense would drum up business, I think.

AnemoneRosie

I read for a site, rather than running my own blog. As part of it I had to submit a picture of me. It isn't a glamour shot. Instead, I went with a friend to a local park and got her to take some pictures. I chose the best one (me under a tree) and sent it in.
I've had a few people comment on how they selected me as a reader because I look like my energy could best help them. Take that how you will.

I look young for my age (I'm in my 30s and look almost a decade younger) but I offer a free reading for those who are still uncertain to make up for it.

rainboweve

I have never used a photograph in publicity material. But then, the vast majority of my readings are face-to-face. I do only a small proportion of my readings online.

I don't see the need.

Most of the readers have giant banners with larger-than-lifesize airbrushed glamour-shots of themselves next to their table, right where they are sitting. You cannot help comparing them to their pictures and thinking "they must be having a bad day today, they look like hell" - the instinct is to compare the living organic person with a digitally manipulated image. Bad idea. If I were ever tempted to have stay long enough in that environment to have a reading, I'd be going to the tiny minority that *don't* do that.

If you are going to use a photo, at least make it a realistic one, not a glamour-shot.

Thanks for the input nisaba! I can definitely see how the airbrushed glamour-shots would be a turn off, especially in a face-to-face reading setting - I don't think I'd be all that tempted to get a reading from them either.

Definitely no glamour shots from me if I do decide to use a photo - I'm perfectly happy to snap a decent photo using my camera, though people I know in the real life of are the opinion that it gives the "wrong" message by not being a professional/glamour shot photo. Then again they aren't tarot readers so I thought I'd get a better opinion asking here :laugh:

rainboweve

I would say that it would help because times are changing and people are becoming more and more used to the internet not being completely anonymous anymore. With Facebook being as being as it is with real names and pictures having a picture on your site does lend some credibility, especially where money is involved. Like nisaba said, best if it isn't a glamour shot as that does the opposite. Seems somewhat "Vegas" and cheap.

But a sensible, good picture adds a good feeling, I think. In today's Facebook environment, a lack of a picture could raise eyebrows. You don't have to be a model, but something that makes sense would drum up business, I think.

Thanks Zephyros! This is similar to my line of thinking when it comes to doing internet readings - the credibility of knowing there's a real person behind the readings. I'm also put off by the idea of glamour shots, so I'll be sure to use a decent, simple photo. Thanks for the input :)

rainboweve

I read for a site, rather than running my own blog. As part of it I had to submit a picture of me. It isn't a glamour shot. Instead, I went with a friend to a local park and got her to take some pictures. I chose the best one (me under a tree) and sent it in.
I've had a few people comment on how they selected me as a reader because I look like my energy could best help them. Take that how you will.

I look young for my age (I'm in my 30s and look almost a decade younger) but I offer a free reading for those who are still uncertain to make up for it.

Thanks AnemoneRosie! I have also read for a site/phone line before, where it was recommended to submit a picture, but not required. I did end up using a picture of myself at the time, though.

I love your idea of such a simple picture - I think most people can relate to the good vibes of nature and seeing someone appear more "down to earth" as a reader instead of gimmicky. In the end it's up to the client who they select really, so I suppose all we can do is be ourselves and wait for those who feel they will resonate with our energies.

I'm also glad to know more than one person has the same problem as me about the age vs looks! :)

G6

I think potential clients will get a better sense of the reader from a video clip instead of a still image.