Professional readers - photos of yourself to advertise?

SunChariot

Was wondering if anyone who has experience doing paid readings on a regular basis could chime in on this, as I have mixed feelings about it. I've read on various online blogs that people generally like to see a real human being behind the blog/business (general advice, not necessarily tarot related), and as such its recommended to use a picture of yourself in your professional profile. I don't have a problem with this line of thinking and know that many readers on the phone/chat lines use photos of themselves in their listings as well as readers who run their own independent blogs/websites.

My issue is this: do you think that representing yourself with a personal photograph is more likely to drum up business, or more likely to turn off clients? I'm sure we all know the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover" but it does seem to be human nature to find certain qualities more appealing than others, and of course this varies from person to person.

I suppose I'm just wondering, to professional readers: do you use a photograph of yourself (versus a "stock image" like a picture of one of the cards etc) on your personal site/blog/work site? Why or why not?

Your thoughts much appreciated :)

I do have photographs of myself in both my Blog and my web site. I have seen some that do and some that don't.

I would say it depends. I think people prefer to see what their reader looks like. Especially as I never read in person. So the photos are the only way they could see that. But it depends on the photo.

I think if they see someone who looks kind and caring that could help. But I once saw a reading that a reader used in all her blogs and newsletter where she honestly looked a bit insane. I don't know WHY she chose that image. I have seen much better ones of her.

But suddenly she just started using that one. For some reason. It looked so weird me made me almost shudder and pull back inside. THAT photo would have driven clients away in my mind.

Not all photos are created equal.

Babs

EmpyreanKnight

I believe what other people say here - that photographs may positively affect the flow of your business if done right. But this can also be a double-edged sword.

As any marketing tome will tell you, you must seriously consider your target market before you do this. This may be limited by your current clientele, or if you possess serious PR mojo and wicked networking chutzpah you may decide to move up the ladder to target more well-heeled clients. But usually, the former case applies, so then you must study your clients' demographics. Are they usually the younger sort, thoroughly modern, vibrant? Or are they usually more mature, conservative, formal, impeccable in taste? Then your photos should reflect those values. If one of your clients, say a senior executive, had positive feedback on your work and recommended you to a friend, who is somehow more conservative and had a minor aneurysm when he saw your nature-oriented ritual pics, then that may be a cause for concern if that's what you are targeting.

But for most people here, it's important to be true to themselves. If they have a fun, adventurous, Earth mother personality, then they can't care less if stodgy old people (whose cash flows are nevertheless attractive) who look down upon their lifestyle take their business elsewhere. If you do not wish to change who you are, if you wish to be true to yourself and do not wish to compromise this due to business, then that is fine too. But some Tarotists would want to seriously treat this as a business, and as with any business, it is usually the low-volume, high-price clients who would bring the steak. Who knows, with enough marketing savvy, that low volume might eventually dial up to high - a veritable win-win.

I never considered reading the Tarot for business, as I want to learn it purely for personal reasons, though that might later change. In any case, I have pretty much an idea as to how it goes in my little city. As in everywhere, appearance is everything specially if you wish to attract new clients. If you wish to get premium, you and your sites should look premium. But at the very least, you must have your feet at the door - you need to have bored, wealthy suburban moms, hotshot junior executives, etc. who strongly believe in your abilities among your contacts. Nice, established people who won't hesitate to recommend your sites to their friends.

In a way though, this business is, compared to most other service industries, very meritocratic. However glossy your ads, if your readings are not up to par you're going to lose clients. Conversely, no matter how disheveled you look, if you have the batting average of the Sibylline Oracles you are always going to be welcome. Just not at their wine parties.

By the way, this does not only apply to photos. Your website, and your professional and even publicly accessible personal social media accounts must match them as well. Remember, what you're offering is essentially a service, and to be as successful as you can possibly be, you must enhance your personal brand.

Lastly and most importantly, if anyone wants to aim that high, he better do his homework. Befriend and study high end Tarotists. Learn as much as he can about the business, and beware its many pitfalls. For all of their vaunted independence of mind, high end clients who swim in the same social circles often have a hive mind. Once your reputation sinks, it is very hard to engineer a comeback, although it certainly is possible. That is why it is important to establish a relationship with a proto-Patron, to whom you are nevertheless not exclusive to. If you are averse to that, having a close friendship with a handful of clients in positions of influence would not hurt. The taller you grow, the more people would want to tear you down so it is best to be protected. Your integrity must be unimpeachable, and your confidence a matter of course.