"Mystical Reasons" vs Plain Common Sense Rant

MeeWah

Sidenote re: Wisdom Well

Breezes: Consider posting a thread regarding the deck in Oracles Decks.

Lithargoel

Well...

Sure, there are misconceptions about Tarot and what it is and is not.

But I don't think it's right either to go around bursting peoples' bubbles. If they are happy believing that their tarot decks are sentient, just let them be. They don't affect how we perceive tarot.

Besides, who are we to say they are 100% wrong? Maybe they are right and we are the wrong ones.

You never know...

Mabuse

Lithargoel said:
If they are happy believing that their tarot decks are sentient, just let them be. They don't affect how we perceive tarot.
Just never feed the decks after midnight!

Furnacechant

Abrac said:
Hi closrapexa-

You seem to be saying that some people act as if a tarot deck is a living entity, infused with a sentient quality which you view as nonsense. Such beliefs seem to harken back to a harsher world when humanity was full of superstition and ignorance. These days we are too clever to believe such nonsense - we know better. But look at the world around us. What has all of our scientific analysis and intellectual prowess yielded? A sterile existence where the only things that count are those that can be perceived with the senses and analyzed intellectually. Who is to say whether a tarot deck is sentient or not. If given a choice between the two, I would choose the former. Animism of itself is not responsible for human cruelty fueled by superstition - unreason (lack of common sense) is. In many ways, our "ignorant" ancestors were a lot more reasonable than us "intelligent" modern humans.

One thing you mentioned that I do agree with is that people are often too quick to blame, whether it be a tarot deck, God, the weather, or whatever. It seems reasonable to assign responsibility where it lies, but often we rush to assign blame rather than seeing a situation as it really is.

Well said! Animism actually IS a significant part of my spiritual path, as that of many ancient peoples. It doesn't mean I should automatically assume the deck is angry if it doesn't work, or that it has a highly evolved consciousness, but it is not necessarily fair to insult people who consider that things do have an energy about them that may be independent in some ways. I'd also agree that for some people it may just be a comforting figure of speech and certainly not something deserving of such anger as the original poster showed.

Danica_Nyx

Hi Closrrapexa
I understand how you might see something such as a simple deck of cards as an inatimate object that we control, since we are the one shuffling and picking the cards. You might not beleve that the cards hold any "mystics" or anything like that. you have every right to believe. Just like you have every right to believe whether there is a god or multiple gods and goddesses on some cases. how do you explain readings that are either the same or very closely the same that happen daily to the same person? it comes down to what you believe. if want to believe that the cards are just a deck of cards than that is perfectly fine.whether the deck is "alive" and people should be able to believe there deck "decides the outcome" is up to you to decide. I won't try to convince you otherwise.
I think there are energies with in the cards that lead to certain outcomes, based on what the reader is thinking. The cards tell outcomes, and pasts and ways to help the reader.

wolfcub313

Danica_Nyx said:
Hi Closrrapexa
I think there are energies with in the cards that lead to certain outcomes, based on what the reader is thinking. The cards tell outcomes, and pasts and ways to help the reader.

I agree with this to some extent mind you i haven't been practicing tarot for long only a few months but in the short time that i've had my cards i have always felt some sort of energy from them but at the same time it could be my own mind doing it. I think that if believing either way sentient or not, if it gives you a better reading and better understanding of it all then hey why not i myself notice that every once and a while ill talk to my cards as in saying goodbye when i put them away or simple thank you for the reading that may have enlightened me onto some idea or path that i couldn't figure out and seeing the cards laid out made it all make sense to me.