"My deck hates me" and such ideas

sleepingcat

The skeptic thread threw me off and punted me into a tangent.

I have friends who belive their decks hate them, and project negativity intentionally to them. I also have friends who fear tarot readings because decks hate them and intentionally project more negativity.

I assure them my deck is as sweet as a kitten, and I explain to them the intent I put into the deck was a friendly council seeing as we hear "the brutal truth" enough that I wasnt intrested.

I usually get postive readings for them, all but one person I've broken trends of negative cards showing up.

I dont cheat or anything, I just take people used to getting higher numbered swords and the darker majors and give them pents and wands (lots of pents and wands o.0;).

Now onto the point of this thread:

What's everyone's take on decks "hating"?

I personally dont belive it's possable, I think it's all a matter of projection. If you expect a negative reading, you'll get one unless the reader descides otherwise, then it's a battle of wills maybe? o.0;

But I'm very instrested to hear about other people's expierences and opnions.

Pao

lol you know i am convinced an oracle deck i have "hates me"! i know it does. it answers everyone else but me. I actually think its b/c i cant connect with it at all so I must like you say project my own negative thoughts on to it, b/c honestly i now hate IT. so in my head i'll be saying "i duno why i bother w/ you, you never help me" and ill get nothing. it must be psychological, but yep it happens to me :)

ana luisa

I see your point. But, honestly, I don´t believe decks can actually "feel". They´re after all, a bunch of cards made of paper. What usually happens , in my case, is that you associate a specific deck to a certain, say, vibration, atmosphere. this may come from the hue of the pictures, the smell of the paper, the expression the court cards show, even the backs of the deck! It´s a bit like smelling a perfume that brings you bad memories, or looking at a landscape that witnessed a bad experience you had. You "call" the negative feelings, but cards don´t hate. They can´t. What they DO have, and here I totally contradict myself, is a "voice'. Each deck I own speaks differently to me. Some are more brutal, unpolished while others tiptoe whenever giving me crude answers. Some like to be shuffled energetically while others demand a gentler handling. Well, they are different. If you´re reading for someone, let them choose the deck that they feel more comfortable with. Not because the messages will change but because that way, the sitter´s energy won´t get in the way of your reading.
BTW, do you hear the cards as well ?

Umbrae

Decks cannot emote.

Decks can reflect a sitter’s attitude, and hold up a magnifying glass to self-destructive behavior, self-fulfilling prophesies, thought processes that end in self-limitations, Machiavellian attitudes.... In short – all that stuff inside ourselves that we won’t even admit to ourselves – Tarot loves to point out.

And since we’re in denial about our own spirit – we slide into the easy attitude of anthropomorphism towards our decks.

Then – we have to find a way to cleanse and purify them.

Ain’t nothin’ wrong with the deck.

room

Well of course several of my decks hate me. So I take pictures of them with flowers and then they start to like me. If they're really good, I buy them decks to match them in some way. They really enjoy that.

Sometimes the decks I buy to pair off with the decks that used to hate me, also hate me. So I pick a lot of flowers and take pictures of them in vases or drape the flowers around the decks and such, and around we go again.

Who can hate someone who gives them flowers? Decks are kind of stupid buggers, you have to flatter them and make them look pretty. If they refuse to capitulate and like you, give them dandelions, then they get drunk and love everybody. Keep paper towels handy to mop up the drool.

With this proven method they never hate again and the world becomes a happier place for everybody to live in, and people grow more flowers, particularly long-lasting ones good for cutting.

sleepingcat

Pao - Aw man, I'd trade off the deck, personally and try with a fresh one.

Ana Luisa- Yeah I do, all three of my decks have very diffrent "voices". I prefer my LS deck the most because it comes across as very nuturing. My Fenestra deck is much quieter and makes me sleepy, and my new one, the Lunatic seems very matter-of-fact (not unpleasantly so). I think too we control the voices in a way, and if we chose we can make sure the decks "voice" isnt out to wound us or our querents. My Lunatic isnt scarry.... way to litteral but it smiles and gives you a pat on the head like my other decks.

Umbrae - *looks up at what she just wrote* yep. We love to anthromorphize things. I really agree with what you said and think that's the root of it.

It seems like in the case of my friends, most of the time it's over reaction. it's like as long as they expect bad answers, they get them.

Room- That's very instresting- and it does sound like a wonderful way to spend time with a deck. ^_^ It sounds like it'd be a very enjoyable and postive treat for cards and owner.

Alta

I find when someone writes 'my deck hates me' that I so cannot relate. But then, I don't name my decks, or cars, or stones or anything but living things and generally do not personalize inanimate objects. To me the idea that a stack of cards could hate me is just off the scale of believability. They are, like so many things in my life that are useful and helpful to me, there but I don't think they have independent opinions. Just my two cents. *shrugs*

I do believe that can read some decks more easily than others, but time and again I have made a concerted effort to read with decks that I thought I couldn't, and been able to. Now I just chalk it up to laziness on my part and not giving the effort needed.

Goetian

A deck can TOTALLY hate you.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. This applies to things as much as people - if you don't take proper care of your computer, car, tarot deck, or anything else, why should you be surprised when it doesn't perform as expected?

Pao

Marion said:
I don't name my decks, or cars, or stones or anything but living things and generally do not personalize inanimate objects.
:D I do name my cars and other objects!! haha I know its terribly funny but i cant help it! a car must have a name!!! lol :D

room

Marion said:
But then, I don't name my decks, or cars, or stones or anything but living things and generally do not personalize inanimate objects.

Oh my God Marion, and you're still alive!!!