Advice for Trimming

rainwolf

Bad_Calvin said:
Well said, thank you. that is a scary thing to start cutting up your cards though. How can you cut them so straight as to make sure they shuffle right and stack nicely?

To each their own.. I do see your point though!

They are just cards...and I don't have arm jerks when I cut so I'm not worried about cutting. Nor am I in a rush so cutting isn't too hard when you take your time and be patient. Most cards have even borders so when you are done they are close to even. When I'm done I put them all together and look for cards that stand out because they are longer; I pull them aside and snip off whatever is leftover.

TenOfSwords

I just checked my Thoth (AGMüller 1996) and the cards are made in a process that has a tolerance high enough for it to be visible on the cards. It means that if you cut these mechanically at the image edge, you'll have off-centered images with white lines on two sides... It'll look horrible unless you're really lucky. If it's necessary to do it mechanically in one go per side of the deck, make sure to place the cut between the image edge and the inner edge of the frame to allow for bleeding. :)

Aeric

Heh! This really is an exercise in patience. It sounds like regardless what method, a corner cutter seems to be everyone's agreement. I'll let you how it goes.

rainwolf

Well the corner cutter is the fast and easy part--and the finishing touch. Cutting is the longest part that takes most patience.

TenOfSwords

rainwolf said:
Well the corner cutter is the fast and easy part--and the finishing touch. Cutting is the longest part that takes most patience.

Tell me about it, I just finished. lol

Turned out really nice... easier shuffling being a surprisingly large bonus for me (always been annoyed by the original size when shuffling).

Amythyst

I had never heard of trimming your deck until I read this thread. Frankly, when I'm reading, I don't notice the borders.

Pao

How do you keep the lamination on the edges from coming off? I bought a very expensive deck that i cant use and I decided to trim it but I dont know how to keep the edges from peeling. if worse comes to worse itll end up in the garbage and Ill be out $60 :(