Crowley a Satanist?

Dancing Bear

I was watching a program on the history program last night about the Knights Templar, and they mentioned Crowley and how he was a Satanist and worshipped the Devil..

Now Not that I am an expert by all means and know very little of Alistair Crowley, but i did not think that he would have been a devil worshipper at all...

Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Abrac

This is a controversial subject. I don't think there is any clearcut evidence that Crowley was a Satanist, but he certainly went out of his way to portray himself in a way that would lead others to think he was. Personally, I think this was all just a smokescreen to cover something far more sinister. :smoker:

Rosanne

Abrac said:
Personally, I think this was all just a smokescreen to cover something far more sinister. :smoker:

Hehehehehe, you have made my day Abrac!!!

Dancing Bear, if you look in the Thoth Forum you will see threads related to this subject. Crowley was not a Satanist as it is understood to be today; he was considered a Satanist in his time, in the public perception of what was misunderstood as Satanism. He seemed to promote the view as well. Reminds me of the group Kiss- he was in many ways a flim-flam man and an intelligent and flawed one at that. ~Rosanne

Scion

Well put, Abrac and Rosanne!

SHort answer: No, he was not.

Dancing Bear, just do a search for the word satanism and Crowley and you'll pull up about 15 threads of vitriol with extensive citations. :D

Lillie

He was a nice old geezer who cooked curries and loved goats.

How could he have done anything bad?????

ravenest

I suppose it depends on if he ever kissed a goats bottom or not.

Lillie

That's just another way of loving a goat, isn't it?

Scion

I didn't want to say.. but then you said it for me.

I think it depends on the goat. :D

Dancing Bear

LOL!! It most cetainly depends on the goat LOL! Thanks everyone, I have read a few threads in thoth section and most certainly will google..
Thank you so much everyone for that,,I didnt think he was at all, but it was not the first time i had heard Crowley Linked to Satanism..had to be sure ;)

DB xx

Morgan of Avalon

Man, you kiss one goat's bottom......