Fortean Times special issue on AC

Lleminawc

The current issue of Fortean Times (a journal dedicated to documenting the weird and unexplained) is mostly given over to articles about the Beast, some of them deconstructing various Crowley myths and others perpetuating the most notorious tales about goats, cat's blood etc. There's an interesting travel feature with a difference, featuring the remnants of the "Abbey of Thelema" at Cefalu in Sicily. I've not read all the articles but so far have found only one passing mention of the Book of Thoth.

6 Haunted Days

Cool! I've had a subscription to this wonderfully strange magazine for 9 years! Should be in my mail soon, it's late as usual.

ravenest

6 Haunted Days said:
Cool! I've had a subscription to this wonderfully strange magazine for 9 years! Should be in my mail soon, it's late as usual.

Hey 6HD, tell us what its about when you get it.

Lleminawc

The most unsettling claim in this special issue is that Crowley is pronounced to rhyme with "holy": I'd always pronounced the first syllable to rhyme with "now". Who's right here?

Rosanne

Apparently Holy Crowley- not prowley Crowley- though prowley has a certain synergy that makes me smile.

Lillie

I have always been told it ought to be pronounced Crowley, like crow.

But in fact I always pronounce it with the OW like Owl, or like ow when you stub your toe.

and all the people in the world telling me I'm wrong are not going to change the habit of a life time.

So, Mr Crowley. Tough luck.

Lillie

And...

If instead of Ow, like stubbing your toe, it was ouch like stubbing your toe.....

He could be Mr Crouchly, which would be quite funny.

firecatpickles

The American cousins' name is pronounced like "crawl", as in "Crawley". It is a prominent trucking and shipping line here, still spelled "Crowley". I have had students in my school with this name.

ravenest

No no! Take a lesson from the master himself:
"Some people call me Crowley in an attempt to treat me fouly,
But I prefer Crowley to remind you that I'm holy."
(He was [or wanted to be] upper class after all!)