Crowley: not The God, just a god.

absinthetarot

i have been reading Crowley for a while and he is really funny. I like his outlook on things but i think most people don't see his humor. I personally don't take anything he says seriously. I enjoy his books and enjoy his little quotes.
i have been using the Thoth deck for a while and i think it is my favorite deck.
The cards really seem to work best for me. I have been a fan of Crowley's for a while. Every time i read one of his books i just can't help but laugh!

I do have a lot of respect for his obvious genius. I mean the guy was freaking brilliant!

If there are any Thelemites on here i would love to talk about Crowleyania or whatever.

Also has anyone ever gotten any "results" from his rituals?
The only one i ever get is side splitting laughter and a tad drunk!
I really enjoy this forum most everyone seems to be in good spirits!

Aeon418

No ones taken the bait yet? :laugh:

ravenest

I would! (But this session at the internet cafe is gonna cost me 10 buck if I do.

briefly, this bit; "Also has anyone ever gotten any "results" from his rituals? "

Yep! Big time. But I would qualify ... thy might not be the results most expect. One has to see what the INTENT of Crowley's rituals are to understand the result. Refer to Liber O introduction:

" 1. This book is very easy to misunderstand; readers are asked to use the most minute critical care in the study of it, even as we have done in its preparation.

2. In this book it is spoken of the Sephiroth and the Paths; of Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes, and many other things which may or may not exist.

It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.

3. The advantages to be gained from them are chiefly these:
("a") A widening of the horizon of the mind.
("b") An improvement of the control of the mind.

4. The student, if he attains any success in the following practices, will find himself confronted by things (ideas or {13} beings) too glorious or too dreadful to be described. It is essential that he remain the master of all that he beholds, hears or conceives; otherwise he will be the slave of illusion, and the prey of madness.

Before entering upon any of these practices, the student should be in good health, and have attained a fair mastery of Asana, Pranayama and Dharana.

5. There is little danger that any student, however idle or stupid, will fail to get some result; but there is great danger that he will be led astray, obsessed and overwhelmed by his results, even though it be by those which it is necessary that he should attain. Too often, moreover, he mistaketh the first resting-place for the goal, and taketh off his armour as if he were a victor ere the fight is well begun.

It is desirable that the student should never attach to any result the importance which it at first seems to possess."

Eruditus

Aleister Crowley is my new hero. I agree with you: he is a genius. His knowledge of mythology is definitive in its scope. His knack for languages is impressive, and his mastery of mathematics is inspiring. I feel, in Mr. Therion, the machinations of a kindred spirit.

I think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Margo

Hi Guys, what Crowley book are you talking about? As I'd like to get it. I've not read one by him before, and I am very interested in reading about him.

Thanks.

Aeon418

Margo said:
Hi Guys, what Crowley book are you talking about? As I'd like to get it. I've not read one by him before, and I am very interested in reading about him.
If you haven't read any Crowley before but are into the Thoth tarot the obvious answer is to get Crowley's, The Book of Thoth.

On the other hand, if you want to read about Crowley you could try one of the many biographies that have been written in recent years.

A Magick Life by Martin Booth or Do What Thou Wilt by Lawrence Sutin are both reasonable bios.

Margo

Thank you Aeon, I shall note these books down.

AmounrA

I would suggest reading-
The eye in the triangle an interpretation of aleister crowley by Israel Regardie. Regardie have worked with crowley for many years.
and..
The confessions of Aleister Crowley, an autohagiography. Crowley himself looks back on his life and is very funny and insightful as he does.

To work with thoth having '777' in useful.

'book 4' is a must :)

Aeon418

AmounrA said:
I would suggest reading-
The eye in the triangle an interpretation of aleister crowley by Israel Regardie. Regardie have worked with crowley for many years.
and..
The confessions of Aleister Crowley, an autohagiography. Crowley himself looks back on his life and is very funny and insightful as he does.
Good choices, but neither book is currently in print. The Confessions is readily available online though, if you can stand reading a book online.

ravenest

Book 4 isnt in print at the moment? Bummer. Hey Margo, why not just try with what IS availible.

I'd go along with all the above suggestions. What is your particular slant? Tarot, magick?

'Magick Without Tears' perhaps?