RWS 5 Pentacles - Tower v Drawbridge Castle

Cara Jackson

Surely folks, you can see the 'arch' of the bridge (far left 'tower') going out over a river there (we assume its a river) does this not hark back to the 4 of Swords Castle and Moat and drawbridge? And therefore, showing again, as in 4 Swords Stained Glass depiction, that the 'doorway' or drawbridge is shut to us, to any real forward motion?

Any thoughts oh ye experts?

x Cara - now, SO obviously up to studying 5 pentacles - tee-hee!
oops - ALSO - have you noticed the 'beads' of snow all perfectly lined up, forming a narrow, confining 'wall' around the stained glass window, does this show that where it is placed is a very small wall - perhaps a nave or some such churchly (if we are going down that route?) small chapel area? Any suggestions welcomed x

Richard

I don't see a drawbridge, only a building partially obscured by foliage.

When I see two towers, I usually think of them as the gateway to the East, the promise of a new Dawn, as in the Moon and Death cards. As such, the towers may relieve a bit of the gloom here. However, the window itself, with its suggestion of warmth and light inside the building, represents the opposite of the cold and darkness outside, and thus by way of contrast increases our perception of the misery and poverty of the two people passing by.

Now that you mention it, the window does seem as if it might be in an alcove or recess within the church.

Cara Jackson

L Richard reply re: castle versus tower in stained glass

Hey, yepk, well I (being over 40-tch!) had to put my glasses on AND use a massive, I mean massive, magnifying glass to look very carefuly at stained glass, and you can just see an arch there. . ..

Richard

I can't tell whether it is an arch or just part of the outline of a leaf.

Also, I don't see that a drawbridge is necessarily up in the Four of Swords. It could be that a drawbridge is down, and through the opening we see the light from the interior of the structure. This would be consistent with the keyword for this card, which is Truce, a temporary cessation of hostilities.

Cara Jackson

L Richard - further notation

Oh, baby brain gone, just rechecked notes, and yep - I have written :
The drawbridge is neither up nor down, both impeding any boats or you moving.

What do you think - oh, this is re: 4 swords, naturellement! x

Richard

Cara Jackson said:
Oh, baby brain gone, just rechecked notes, and yep - I have written :
The drawbridge is neither up nor down, both impeding any boats or you moving.

What do you think - oh, this is re: 4 swords, naturellement! x
That interpretation certainly would fit a stalemate situation such as a truce. J'aime.

peaceandkarma

Does the no 5 signify a meaning through out all the Tarot Cards suits through out the deck. So for instance if the no 5 meant you'll win the lottery but Pentacles means it will not be a lot. Does the suit the no 5 card is in tell you the limits of the no 5?

Cara Jackson

Thanks peaceand karma - brill name by the way, I cannot answer this for you, however, having studied a bit of numerology, 5's are normall the chaos of change, and being 'central' between 1-10 are the pivotal, complete change points between the numbered minor arcana. Hope that helps - but sure more 'experts' out there, like CrazyBrightStar and L Richard can say waaaaaaay more x Cara

Richard

Here's something I read somewhere, which may shed a little more light on 5. It basically just amplifies what Cara wrote.

5. The Pentagram. The number of the mysterious. Free will, strife, justice - The Hitchhiker. Represents a desire for freedom and independence that makes you go against the status quo. Fives can signal a time of nervous energy, challenges and conflicts with others, and adventure and impulsive actions. Fives also suggest travel and expansion as well as fluctuations in many areas of life. For these reasons, it is a number of both order and disorder, of happiness and misfortune. Built by bringing in two (the first even number) and three (the first uneven number).

Cara Jackson

Thanks L Richard - brilliant input

Very good, will ponder and conjutate (bet I didnt spell that right - tch!)

x Cara