Which deck to buy out of these?

Aina

In answer to your question, the Connolly was illustrated by Peter Paul Connolly, and the Morgan Greer was illustrated by William Greer. Two different schools of art ;) (<...>)
These are only my opinions, but I hope any of this can help you :love:

Wow, thanks so much for the amazing reviews on both decks. This was REALLY helpful! I really got the feels of the decks now.
Also thanks for warning about the Christian theme in the Connolly tarot! I never knew about the Jesus card and although I do not like the church, I love Catholic and Christian based tarot cards! It has that old Catholic cathedral feel to it and when I'm in a certain mood, I LOVE it! I went through all the deck somewhere online and I was truly impressed. I liked the round, blocked type old fashioned clear illustrations and I found some cards to be very creative. I mean really creative and *interesting*, it had more detail than M. Greer and seemed like a pretty good deck for general use.

Talking about the M.Greer. I've seen the images of the full deck somewhere online as well and I did feel it lacked details and all the people where only in their portrait size. What was great is that I don't have a tarot deck that has no borders (maybe the image will sort of jump on you) and clear, full, bright figures. I want to feel that feeling of using this deck. Although, as you, say I think I'man intuitive more, so maybe it's good for a quick reading when you're lazy (or don't have much time) to meditate, channel and go into more detail.

So thanks again for the great great reviews!!! :D

Aina

It wasn't on your list but if you like thick cardstock, Anna K. is a marvelous reading deck. I find it honest warm and gentle. I use it for fearful sitters.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/anna-k/

Actually it is on my list and I LOVE this deck but it is double the price of a normal deck!!! I've also heard it is pretty thick and the cards are smaller which sounds cool. So if I get this deck, I can only get 1 deck and I can get the other decks after 3 months only. If I buy decks like Medieval Scapini's, "Light and Shadow" or "Morgan Greer's" or "Connolly's" then I can get 2 decks :) That's how greedy I am. Also the thing is that I've been wanting Scapini's tarot badly because I think it is a "perfect tarot card". That comes for not so much and I get to buy one more deck. However Anna K's deck just appeared online and it wasn't but it's double the price so I have a dilemma :)

Tarotwolf

The Light and Shadow Tarot is wonderful - but I personally find the card stock so thin that they flex in my hands when shuffling (I guess everyone perceives thickness differently?). However, one deck that I think everyone would agree is thick (we're talking "beer-coaster" thick!) is the Deva Tarot published by Piatnik. It's still readily available on E-bay.

Aina

The Light and Shadow Tarot is wonderful - but I personally find the card stock so thin that they flex in my hands when shuffling (I guess everyone perceives thickness differently?). However, one deck that I think everyone would agree is thick (we're talking "beer-coaster" thick!) is the Deva Tarot published by Piatnik. It's still readily available on E-bay.

Hello and thanks for recommendation. I know this deck, it's really thick but I think the design has more empty space than imagery. It's an OK deck for me but not right now :) Does the Light and Shadow tarot flex in your hands the same way as Druid Craft or (Ciro Marchetti's deck) does or less? Is it LONG lasting? Talking about thickness, I like the Original RWS card stock but I've never seen another deck with similar stock. Maybe they don't exist...:/

devilkitty

I don't like manga at all. But I love Japan. This is the only thing I can get along with the samurai tarot and "The Journey to the Orient" By the way, it's a deck by Lo Scarabeo (where male and female cards are reversed) and although I do not know the artist's name, it's not by Selina Lin (it's a different deck) .

I rather like the Lo Scarabeo Manga deck. The artist is an Italian -- whose name escapes me at the moment -- who's done a fine job of drawing a pack of cards with a definite Japanese (and occasionally Chinese) feel to the characters and situations depicted without slavishly copying the manga style. No pointy faces, no movement lines, no huge eyes: it's not cartoonish at all to my eye (which would have been a reason for me to put it back on the shelf).

Think of it as "manga-inspired"; Oriental-themed, but not caricatured. Based upon your posts in this thread, I strongly suspect you'll like it. The male-female changes in the images can often help in seeing a different aspect of the card than we're used to.

Aina

I rather like the Lo Scarabeo Manga deck. <..>
Think of it as "manga-inspired"; Oriental-themed, but not caricatured. Based upon your posts in this thread, I strongly suspect you'll like it. The male-female changes in the images can often help in seeing a different aspect of the card than we're used to.

Thanks! Usually with decks it's not always possible to like 100%. There are always things that I like or dislike about a certain deck. In RWS original's case, I would prefer the backs to be brown or some other color. In Druid Crafts, the paper is kinda thin and in Cosmic Tarot, too - they are too glossy and too thin, doesn't feel like a card. In any case, after some research I found out that Manga tarot is not what it sounds. It has the depth and I like the Japanese symbols for spring, winter, etc...I will definitely get this deck, it's just the question now or later :)

Darkmage

I've got a few of the decks you're mentioning.

I like the cardstock on both the Medieval Scapini and Morgan-Greer. They're both nice and thick, though my MS is pretty glossy which may or may not be what you want.

Connolly is a bit more 80's than MG. MG is sooo 70's it's hilarious, but I like the artwork on both. The cardstock is nice and thick on that one, too.

Basically look at the decks if you can and go from there. All are RWS clones so if you're familiar with that, you'll be fine with all of these.

Aina

I've got a few of the decks you're mentioning.

I like the cardstock on both the Medieval Scapini and Morgan-Greer. They're both nice and thick, though my MS is pretty glossy which may or may not be what you want.

Connolly is a bit more 80's than MG. MG is sooo 70's it's hilarious, but I like the artwork on both. The cardstock is nice and thick on that one, too.

Basically look at the decks if you can and go from there. All are RWS clones so if you're familiar with that, you'll be fine with all of these.

Thanks for your post! I'm actually afraid the MS will be glossy and slick, similar to that of the Cosmic Tarot that was comfortable to shuffle but way too thin. I was expecting something else :) I hope that the new editions they sell of MG and Connolly are as thick as the older ones. I just want them to last! :)