One Deck Wonder

spoonbender

About room's comments: I can't believe some people are so vehemently opposed to this idea. :bugeyed:

I personally think it's a great initiative - I missed it last time, but will join now. I'll be using the Dusserre Dodal Tarot de Marseille.

Spoon

MeeWah

Moderating note

Please remain on-topic. That being, please avoid metadiscussion for reasons of thread integrity & courtesy (to thread author & viewers/partipants).

We prefer to not have to request post edits nor otherwise edit. Hence, other commentary more appropriate for off-thread communication needs to be directed accordingly (as some have already).

Your understanding appreciated.

~MeeWah
Co-Moderator, Talking Tarot

Pipistrelle

I would like to join in, using the International Icon. I've only had it a few weeks but in that time I've already come to think of it as a reliable friend.

Off now to read the old threads to see exactly what I've let myself in for! :D

Pip

Acacia

I think I'll join too. Interestingly I just spent some time comparing images in 5 different decks, hoping to carry my understanding of one over to the others. Not sure if it helped or hindered. At times I felt I was suffering image overload.

Now, which deck to choose.

One of those I read with fairly well:
Spiral, World Spirit, Prauge

Or those I am intrigued by:
International Icon, Sheridan Douglas

6 Haunted Days

Yes, which deck to choose? That's what I am having trouble with!

It's between Tarot of the Old Path or Nigel Jackson Tarot. How does one choose?

connegrl

Acacia said:
Now, which deck to choose.

One of those I read with fairly well:
Spiral, World Spirit, Prauge

Or those I am intrigued by:
International Icon, Sheridan Douglas

I would highly recommend the IIT. It really strips everything away and gets down to the bones of Tarot and reading. The Sheridan-Douglas is pretty minimalistic and would be very good also. Funny, but after people do a 'one deck wonder' with a deck like this, they find that they start picking decks that aren't overflowing with imagery.

Just MHO, your milage may vary.

Jen

firemaiden

Really interesting thread! This is the first time I have heard Umbrae say what the original purpose of simplifying to one deck was for elf -- to reduce the noise, and in a professional situation (where you better not have a brain lock-down) Wow. That makes so much sense.

I just came upon this thread just as I was about to put up a new subject - on deck acquisition fever. (!)

Little Buddha I am so so pleased to see you working with the Victorian Romantic, and willing to experiment with One-deck-wonderfulness. I myself was monogamous with this deck for quite a while.

Looking forward to hearing your results!

MysticalMoose

I think its a wonderful idea...:) Im just wondering whether I could do it for 6 months...If I decide to go for it I shall use my DruidCraft as I just love it...is there a start date as such??? or is everyone all just "doing their own thing"? :D

Kenny

When I first heard about this idea I decided to use my Ator Tarot--I love it, really I do, it's so cute and gives good readings too--but I found it hard to study and understand. I looked around and found a Thoth Tarot, now I do not have to find it hard to stick to that deck or understand the majority of the cards.

So if I sign up it'll be with my Thoth.

blackairplane

I am new here on this site but boy is this a SMOKIN thread. I didn't know there was so much ANGER out there. I myself have read my own cards nearly daily with the same deck I found in an old shop in 1982. Because it was an antique deck I have always thought my possession of it was meant to be and the deck and I have bonded. I guess that makes 25 years with the same old deck. ( Etteliia Book of Thoth ).
BUT I still read with other decks from time to time and especially for others. Hell, I will read with a regular pack of playing cards if that is what is available and my querent does not mind the lack of messages from the majors.
I have become so familiar with my Etteilla that I certainly don't even notice it anymore. I have stopped looking at the little printers flaws,the court cards shoes, the colors etc, because I know them so well.
I found this site because I am starting to design my first tarot deck and was curious to see how people use their decks and feel about them. I have recently bought some new decks to see how they are constructed and made. I have found that I enjoy looking at the differences and designs on them.
So- I feel that in using my old familiar deck I am reading more intuitively because I am in no way studying the images.
With the new decks I am expanding my imagination by "seeing" the cards through the eyes of their designers. Thus I am intellectualizing my views of the cards more. It is sort of the same experience I have when doing a reading for someone else and they ask a question based on the way a card image looks to them. For instance, someone once asked me if the 9 of swords was like a bed of nails and I would NEVER have thought of that- though it is apt. If some designer made a card with a woman sleeping on a bed of nails for the 9 of swords, then I would have been open to that thought.
Both insights are valuable I think. Two ways of traveling the same road, with probably the same destination.