I-Ching for Beginners

bradford

Depereo said:
Pretty straightforward, really: Do you think that English translations of the original Chinese texts fully do the I Ching justice?
I'm just wondering because I would think that translation from Chinese to English would result in losing some of the important meanings of what the writing is trying to convey, and that's the only reason why I'm a little hesitant to delve into I Ching any time soon.

Depereo
Thats a prety good question. Look at it this way - Old Chinese had about 8000 characters to describe the whole of existence. English is at the other extreme with a quarter million to cover the spread. It is reasonable then to say that Chinese words have to be a lot "fatter" in meaning to do the job. The implications are richer. So yes, it would take a bundle of English words to carry the meanings of a Chinese word, and no simple translation of the Yi can carry its richness and breadth.
However, by that logic, you shouldn't be studying Tarot at all, because here we try to cover the spread of existence with only 78 words.

Pagan X

Heed the Bradford. The Bradford speaks sooth.

I am surprised about Rutt, I must say.

Susi

week XIV, hexagram 35

previously i posted my weekly hexagrams in the i-ching thread but obviously i consider it more appropriate continuing that in this thread for beginners although the i ching has already been leading me through my life for 15 years. so the weekly hexagram for calendar week 15 is
7 -------- others: 9 --(--)-- // 6 ---X--- // 8 --- ---
6 ---X---
7 --------
6 ---X---
8 --- ---
6 ---X--- #35 changing in 1.3.5
PROGRESS: an enlightened chief and obeying servant leads to progress. 1st line (as per r.wilhelm): fear of being rejected, go on; 3rd line: acting in community; 5th line: arriving in crucial position.
i d be grateful for some javary/faure additions to this wilhelm interpretation.

Kenny

I've heard about the Yin and Yang lines (solid and broken, but not sure in what order) but also of Yin and Yang lines in the hexagram. What happens if you get a Yin in a Yang or a Yin in a Yin?

I hope this makes sense, but to me it does in a weird way...

Logiatrix

Kenny said:
I've heard about the Yin and Yang lines (solid and broken, but not sure in what order) but also of Yin and Yang lines in the hexagram. What happens if you get a Yin in a Yang or a Yin in a Yin?

I hope this makes sense, but to me it does in a weird way...
I'm not sure what you mean, Kenny...are you speaking of the inner hexagram?

Please explain further...I'm interested and forever a beginner.
:)

silverwings94

Hi Serenaserendipity,
I just found this thread on the I ching. I am very new to this, so new infact I have no idea what to do. I did pick up a book on the I ching by Mark McElroy called I Ching for Beginners.
I am very interested in learning more and was hoping that your thread for beginners was going to be revived.
Hope to see more.
Silverwings94

serenaserendipity said:
hi folks!

any more beginner questions?

okay loves

see you when you need me!

serendipity

Barbaras Ahajusts

Yoo hoooo!

serenaserendipity said:
hi folks!

any more beginner questions?

okay loves

see you when you need me!

serendipity

Oh Serendipity, are you still working with beginners?

:D Barb

MaureenH

I'll wait to see if this will be revived as I've just recently bought Wilhelm's translation of I Ching. I might answer my own questions before this thread might come back to life, but it would be easier just to ask a few questions re negative lines, hexagrams of all 7's and 8's, etc.

Always Wondering

I would like to learn too. So I will wait with you. I was fine until I got to the element part of the thread.

AW

bradford

Again-
Strongly advise against using a book with "beginners" in the title.
Get a good, reputable translation instead, not just somebody's interpretation.
There are at least half a dozen decent ones out there. If the authors don't have enough respect for the Yijing to actually translate it, even if that means having to learn Chinese, then they aren't going to put in the decades of study that it takes to be a good teacher of the subject. You're just going to get some ill-informed amateur's hastily drawn opinions.