4 of Pentacles

dragenfly

I use the garden of the moon deck and this weekend every spread i did, and whoever i did a spread for i drew the 4 of pentacles. it makes no sense it doesnt relate to me the way im defining it. when you guys draw this card what does it symbolize to you?

willowfox

It really depends upon the question as to how it would be interpreted.

It has to do with keeping things as they are, making no changes, or holding tightly to what you already have for example.

dragenfly

yeah thats how im interpreting it aswell. just ironic that it came up for each reading on three different people as well as a personal reading.
)0(

Sulis

Well to me the 4 of Pentacles is a very solid, stable card. Pentacles correspond with the Earth element and so are all about things on the physical plane such as money, possessions, the body, the home etc.
Four is a very solid number. When I think of the number 4 I think of things like 4 directions on a compass, 4 walls of a building. It's a number of structure, stability, boundaries, foundations etc.
Put all of this together and add the image on the card you're looking at (I'm presuming you're using a deck based on the Rider-Waite-Smith deck), so you're looking at an image of a person sitting down holding onto 4 pentacles. I've just had a look at the Moon Garden card and it does show someone with 4 Pentacles on top of him. They're stopping him from moving from what I can see.
It's about keeping what you have close to you, being possessive or just protecting what you have. It can be a card about control, especially in relationship readings. It's about being comfortable with what you have and maybe holding on a little too tightly -hence how it's often referred to as a 'miser card'.
Sometimes people get so caught up in keeping hold of what they have whether that's possessions or other people that they find that rules them and they can't move past that.
It could also be talking about simply protecting what you have. In the Thoth deck the image on the card looks a little bit like a castle so it seems more protective than possessive.

I've attached an image of the Moon Garden card.

Attachments

• Moon Garden 4 of disks.jpg
    Moon Garden 4 of disks.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 396

rwcarter

Like Sulis, I'm assuming you mean Tarot of a Moon Garden.

In addition to the money aspect of Pentacles, they can also be about health, the body, the home and anything that has or is a foundation. The Four can be about holding onto any of those things - trying to keep hold of someone you're having a relationship with, being stuck in a rut or in one's ways, holding onto the status quo, refusing to budge, etc.

Rodney

Thirteen

dragenfly said:
yeah thats how im interpreting it aswell. just ironic that it came up for each reading on three different people as well as a personal reading.
)0(
Usually when that happens it means that the deck is trying to get your attention to give you a message. Shuffle the deck and make 4 piles. One for home, family, emotions, one for work, health, money, one for career, ethics, spirituality, one for communications, intellectual pursuits.

Find the 4/Disks. That is what the message is about. If that doesn't clear up what the message is, take the card, put it down, shuffle the deck and ask the deck, "What is this card trying to tell me about __________ ?" Do a spread around it.

You never know about these things. Maybe tomorrow a friend will ask you to lend them money and you'll suddenly know why you got this card--because the cards want you to know that you shouldn't led them the money ;)

dragenfly

so very informative and insightful thank you very much!