Are there any scholarly books about tarot?

Nemia

I would add Art Rosengarten's book about tarot and psychology.

Arthur Rosengarten, Tarot and Psychology: Spectrums of Possibility

PathWalker

Great list of books - some I've read, some I haven't.
I'll say Thank You :)

gregory

Well, someone recommended A Cultural History of Tarot by Helen Farley to me before, but it was too expensive.
That does look good - but yes, pricey :(

Desecrated

Just because you are an occult practitioner - or indeed a publisher - does not mean you cannot be scholarly.

This is correct, but for this thread I wanted to see books that looks at the tarot community from the outside in. So from the perspective of those that are only scholars.

Desecrated

You are losing out by your artificial restrictions.

And you are making a stupid assumption based on absolutely no facts what so ever.
I placed a restrictions on the subject in this thread because I found it interesting as a thread topic. That doesn't mean that I don't read more varied material overall.

Nemia

But you wrote:

"Not necessary books written by people whom themselves practice and work with tarot, but ..."

Maybe you should have worded your question more clearly; you did NOT place a restriction on the subject. "Not necessarily" is not necessarily a restriction.

gregory

And you are making a stupid assumption based on absolutely no facts what so ever.
Why, thank you. :D

I went by your post saying "not by occultists" and so on. Which IS restricting. But I know where the ignore button is :)

PathWalker

I remember where the ignore button is :)

Abrac

I think authors from within the tarot community can be impartial and fair, but I also like getting new perspectives from fresh eyes, those who don't "have a horse in the race" so to speak. Sometimes they can add very helpful insight.

Glenn F. Wright, a.k.a. Jess Karlin, is quite an interesting character. A lot of people here will dismiss him because they don't like him, and I'll admit I don't care for him much of the time either, but I'll also admit there are times when he hits pure gold. He's not a "scholar" but he knows his stuff. That's what I like about him though, scholarly stuff often puts me to sleep. Here are a couple of links. You'll just have sort through it and see if there's anything you can use.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Tarotica

http://nightmarealleys.blogspot.com/

eldritchgreene

Having recently read Benebel Wen's Holistic Tarot, I would place it as a "scholarly" text, for the writing style, content, approach etc. (size!) Benebel is a practicing lawyer so her communication style is very direct and precise. Do check it out.

She does practice and work with tarot of course so it might not be what you're looking for.

Or what about Enrique Enriquez's two volumes of Tarot conversations? Encounters Around Tarot. These are full of interviews with Tarot readers, scholars, artists etc. and offer differing points of views and insights.