Gilded -- First Impressions

Gwynne

I was at my local Border's and saw this deck for the first time today. The cards shown on the box were gorgeous and my first thought was "I want it..." but I've been on a card and book buying spree this week and really don't need another...

However upon looking at the site for the deck and all of the reviews... I've told my husband that since I bought his beads and chain for his pendulum, and books, and a wand and several other things this week, he gets to buy me that deck tomorrow!

StellaJane

The Majors

Something else I just noticed about this deck: with the exception of The Hermit, who is standing on a narrow stone ledge, none of the Major Arcana cards are standing on a surface. I don't think any of them show the ground at all. It reinforces the idea that the Major cards are about the big stuff, the stuff that transcends the mundane, everyday, gotta do the laundry world.

Tabby

Gilded First Impressions

The one thing that attracted me to the deck was the artwork. Bright images and really coming at you. I like digital art, so this deck was right up my alley. I first started seeing it online. And in between what I was seeing on here and ciro website of the cards. I knew I had to have it. Now, I finally ordered it and it should come this week sometime. So, I can look at all the cards up close. Hooray!!!

satinangel

I hope you enjoy the deck as much as I do! It always proves to be quite accurate! The images are quite amazing!

Looking forward to reading more from you, once your deck arrives!

~SatinAngel~

wizzle

Superior minors

Like most, I was drawn to this deck because it is so lush in color. And I love computer art especially when it deals with mechanical items. I found the people very 21'st century, even though the characters are dressed in 15th century clothing.

My biggest surprise about this deck is how well Marchetti interprets the pips. For example, the 3 and 8 of pentacles, which I never really could fully fathom visually in RWS, is well defined in this deck. The 3 deals with mastery while the 8 deals with advanced study. Perfect. The 2 and 3 of wands are similarly defined visually as separate thoughts and I found them terribly muddled in RWS so that I forever had to resort to checking out the "book" meaning. I've only begun to study this deck, but I like the addition of the animals to the pips and I just know they will be a help with interpretation. I could go on and on about the pips....there is just so much good new stuff there.

There are strong images with new insights among the majors too. I find the Fool, High Priestess, Hanged Man and, Judgement both appealing and pushing toward new meanings. That said, I am somewhat disappointed in the Devil and the Sun. The artwork is nice but there is less symbolic richness in these very important cards than in some of the pips. Odd.

I certainly like the court cards, but they don't speak to me in new ways at the moment. They are lovely, though.

This is about the only deck I can think of where I'd have no trouble with identification or interpretation if all the borders, numbers, names, etc. were removed. The images portray their meanings extraodinarily well, better than the RWS by far.

I don't have many decks and always compare a new one with the others. I like to do a reading and then pull the same cards from other decks and see how the reading changes or becomes more meaningful.

HearthCricket

When I opened it, I said "Wow!" What I like the most about this deck is the way it really pops out, with all the rich colours, that seem to radiate from the cards. I love the images, which seem to really bring Tarot into the 21st century. This is the kind of Tarot I wouldn't be surprised to see someone on a sci-fi show suddenly pull out and read from. Yet it remains faithful to RW tradition. The images are clean, with almost a three dimensional feel to them, full of depth and meaning, very easy to interpret, and the deck has a nice balance to it. Both the major arcana and the minor arcana are excellent. There are no weaknesses throughout the deck, which makes it so pleasing to the eye and a wonderful deck to read from. The whole set is great, box, bag, book and deck. Also a comfy size for shuffling. I plan to order a second deck, because I am using it so much!

satinangel

Love to see that we have some new Gilded Deck people! WAHOO!!!

I hope you enjoy your deck as much as I do mine!!!

~SatinAngel~

HearthCricket

Just bought my second Gilded deck to keep in a cabinet while I use my first deck! This is the only deck I have two of, but I am using it so much, both for reading and studying, as well as drooling over the images, I think it was a wise move to stock up!

Emeraldgirl

This deck I was drawn to because of the card backs which are the most intricate that I have seen. Also the general mass of detail on the cards that you can loose yourself in. But I think that card that really did it for me was when I saw the 9 of Pentacles. I think it is my favourite card of the deck.

Emeraldgirl

Oh and the cat in the 6 of cups. I want to know it's secrets.