Rory's Story Cube analysis and structure.

brightcrazystar

As a fan of these since I found mention of them here, I figured I would shed light on them as I discover it.

I decided to map them for reference to each other and to original concept. This is my guidance for further interpretation efforts based on the their apparent link to the enneagram. I haven't studied it, but I know a good bit about numerology. If anyone wants to chime in about the enneagram, please do so!

Anyways, if people want to talk about them, or just see what they look like "unfolded" here ya go. I ordered them to the closest semblance of the original concept cross available on his website. The concept was more like a rubicks cube, but the mapping is consistent. four images changed a little. The flame was a lit match, the Shadow was a dead man impaled, the beetle was a more ambiguous bug, and there was a point wizard hat alternate in the borders instead of the magic wand. The trend to the nine-fold sides of the original cube concept is thematic, but each dice also has a theme.

This is very interesting (to me, at least). Because if you only use one set of story cubes, you cannot have two images on the same cube in a particular reading. I am looking further to see what, if any "face" of nine images, if any, of the original cube you could have in a nine cube reading with the dice mapping the way it is done. Maybe this explains part of why the dice are designed the way they are...

Die Face Image Word
1 1 House
1 2 Light
1 3 Sleep
1 4 Voice
1 5 Clock
1 6 Arrow

2 1 Lock
2 2 Footprint
2 3 Flame
2 4 Lamb
2 5 Magnet
2 6 L (I now think this is a Mailbox)

3 1 Message
3 2 Pyramid
3 3 Tower
3 4 Rainbow
3 5 Tree
3 6 Eye

4 1 World
4 2 Plane
4 3 Smile
4 4 Building
4 5 Flashlight
4 6 Apple

5 1 Key
5 2 Star
5 3 Question
5 4 Tent
5 5 Fountain
5 6 Frown

6 1 Beetle
6 2 Die
6 3 Spyglass
6 4 Shadow
6 5 Hand
6 6 Turtle

7 1 Drama
7 2 Fish
7 3 Parachute
7 4 Keyhole
7 5 Sunflower
7 6 Chaos

8 1 Book
8 2 Bridge
8 3 Abacus
8 4 Moon
8 5 Magic
8 6 Bee

9 1 Visitor
9 2 Lightning
9 3 Phone
9 4 Scales
9 5 Direction
9 6 Cane

Hope this is of use or interest to all who use the story cubes!

cardlady22

Absolutely interesting & useful! Thank you! These have been sitting in my Cart at Amazon just waiting for a nudge. ;)

brightcrazystar

Spacial Geometry and rambling...

I am currently working on identities for the dice, but I need to study the enneagram more for a real connection to the designer's intent. Even if I try and make my own interpretation, I generally like to work in accord with the design, where it came through the formative planes.

I'd like to make something that is useful, and will release it here as I define the general outline and then the dice. I plan to use the colors he originally mapped the sets of 9 in, as the points of the enneagram, which his work does color them. Essential memory of the color will be of use, and i might make flash cards to reinforce this quicker. If so, I will put the flash cards up here.

All of this essentially means, besides me needing a distraction from my writing and needed something to take apart, that each dice will have a characteristic based on the ratio of these colors, which will be an overall characteristic of the dice. Furthermore, I suspect the edges and even the corners where three faces meet will be of use for mapping. For example, what if a three dice reading represents a corner where all three images shown meet?

that defies a 2 dimensional model like the Tree of Life.

Like I mentioned, I got three sets, which was supah cheap and at a very auspicious time. In fact, I might get three more, just cause it will help me model the whole cross that was the original model, and then i can lay them out like the enneagram points he seems to be using. yup, gonna go see if they have more right after this.

So I plan to eventually do readings of 6 faces of a cube and full 3x3x3 cubes of cubes, with all 54. Reading their coordinates will actually map them to the Rider Waite Tarot positons as found on the Cube of space, and thus give "positions" in the cube a value, as well as the spacial reations of the three identical cubes in the 27 stack. Limiting my set to 27 (3 sets of 9 cubes) will guarantee 3 instance of each.

This combined with facing is going to allow for visualized 3-dimensional figures (think hyper runes - which would have to be modeled in 3 dimensions) to actually work the energy of that in the cube. these could be overlayed in a 3 dimensional program (or even with zome tools) and form a physical model of the vortex of the energies of each of the nine cubes, with the middle cube being the core of the significator represented by it and the cubes like in, and what orientation they face.