Touchstone Tarot by Kat Black

easternsunrise

I was actually surprised at the low cost of this deck! I feel it is a very fair price for a limited edition and a homemade bag. I spent about this amount for the BG silver and find this to be as beautiful-just in a different artistic style. Like before...saving my pennies! :thumbsup:

Penny Dreadfuls

easternsunrise said:
I was actually surprised at the low cost of this deck! I feel it is a very fair price for a limited edition and a homemade bag. I spent about this amount for the BG silver and find this to be as beautiful-just in a different artistic style. Like before...saving my pennies! :thumbsup:

I was only surprised because of the earlier discussion of the lower cost. Also the Bohemian Gothic Silver had that silver ink added, I was just curious how these cards or added items are going to different than than the mass market deck. Bigger cards? The other self-published decks they have at Tarot Connections are less expensive, so I think it's a vaild question.

retrokat

6 Haunted Days said:
Ah ok, that's not too pricey at all, at least to me! lol

I was thinking like $100-$150 etc.

$50-60 is pretty affordable.

As far as the massmarket, I meant that we know at some point it's being published as opposed to other limited edition decks where that's it for any publication....

Hi PennyDreadful,

Perhaps you're confusing this small, signed Limited Edition release with the Mass Market one? If you prefer to wait for the cheaper, fancier mass edition, I'm sure Leisa will be happy to refund your pre-order. There is no way we can do a small limited edition any cheaper, even with a shoddy home-made bag :p

easternsunrise

From what I have read in this thread there are only going to be 500 of these and Kat is signing them. The production of the mass market one I'm sure will be much larger and not signed. If you aren't interested in the limited edition you will be able to get the lower priced one at a later date, and it sounds like they will be very nice as well, gilt edges ect...I think they are predicting Spring of 2009.

retrokat

easternsunrise said:
From what I have read in this thread there are only going to be 500 of these and Kat is signing them. The production of the mass market one I'm sure will be much larger and not signed. If you aren't interested in the limited edition you will be able to get the lower priced one at a later date, and it sounds like they will be very nice as well, gilt edges ect...I think they are predicting Spring of 2009.

Yep! That's the score. If you're happy to wait, get the cheaper and fancier mass-market one next year. This is just a small, personalised limited edition for collectors and fans who didn't want to wait, and I was thrilled that Kunati (my mass-market publisher) were willing to let Leisa and I go ahead with the small run now.

I guess it's like buying a signed artist's print at a gallery vs going to a poster shop...

LadyMedusa

I just reserved my copy.

retrokat said:
... There is no way we can do a small limited edition any cheaper, even with a shoddy home-made bag :p

I'm betting Mum Kat's bags will hold up far longer than those bags sometimes included in a certain major (LL...cough...lyn) publisher's deck sets. :D

LadyMedusa

Penny Dreadfuls

retrokat said:
Yep! That's the score. If you're happy to wait, get the cheaper and fancier mass-market one next year. This is just a small, personalised limited edition for collectors and fans who didn't want to wait, and I was thrilled that Kunati (my mass-market publisher) were willing to let Leisa and I go ahead with the small run now.

I guess it's like buying a signed artist's print at a gallery vs going to a poster shop...

Thanks for answering, I already pre-ordered it yesterday, so I was going to get it at any rate. I was just curious about what the deck was coming with aka the price compared with their other self-published offerings from TC. I wouldn't compare the mass market deck to a poster though, it's going to have gilt edges after all! I've never seen any decks by Kunati so I have no idea what their like.

Besides loving the cards I have seen so far and your style, I am a collector so I knew I wanted this set. Call me sucker for the words 'limited edition' ;) That is pretty amazing your publisher was willing to let you do this!

eta: Nooooo, I bet those homemade bags aren't shoddy whatsoever! Homemade things are always better. And your mum doing all those bags, wowee!

retrokat

The other decks Leisa publishes are larger runs, longer lead times, unlimited editions and come with standard manufactured boxes. If we had done that for this edition it would have been pretty pointless as the Kunati edition will be doing all of that on a much larger scale.

We chose to go with the 'make it special' and put our own little touches. eg I am sourcing and buying the braids for the bags in the US, paying shipping to Australia so my Mum can make the bags, then shipping the bags back to Leisa all Express Air Mail. Leisa is having the decks printed locally in the US so that they won't take months, then sending me the Author cards to be signed.

We knew we would need to spend thousands on printing, materials and shipping backwards and forwards between US and AU, hence why we sounded out here whether it was worthwhile, or should I just do the mass-market edition next year with Kunati. And the consensus was that some people wanted it ASAP and were willing to pay the higher price that would entail.

If you think $56 is too much, please just wait for the mass edition. Give it a few months after publication and you'll probably even be able to get another 20% off on Amazon ;)

Penny Dreadfuls

If I thought $56 was too much, I wouldn't have clicked the buy button 2 times. ;) I was just asking what the deck was coming with, sorry. I obviously no little about the small run deck business and yes I guess I did get it confused with the mass market edition as the price goes. Money isn't an issue for me, but as there was talk about personal touches and add ons, I was wondering what they were. Now I know. Thank you.

retrokat

LadyMedusa said:
I just reserved my copy.

I'm betting Mum Kat's bags will hold up far longer than those bags sometimes included in a certain major (LL...cough...lyn) publisher's deck sets. :D

LadyMedusa

I gave my Mum some samples I'd made and big bags of all the materials I've bought, and then we met up 2 days ago so she could check that she was on the right track - and hers are SO much better made than mine :p

She lives 3 hours drive from me, so we met halfway and had lunch by the seaside - I got to show her the Proof of the deck and try it out in her sample bags.

I think her bags are beautiful. Leisa has popped my photo of the examples on TC, but they will vary a lot - I couldn't buy enough of the same braids to do 500 bags, but they're all beautiful I think. And Mum is a much neater sewer than me!

I suggested to her that if she's not TOTALLY sick of it after 500 bags, maybe she could make and sell bags on eBay now she's retired. Let's see how she feels by 1st August, eh? :p