Touchstone Tarot by Kat Black

tapestry

HearthCricket said:
Kat~Those are incredible and wonderfully done!! I can't wait for this one! We love the same kind of movies, too. Did you also watch Lady Jane, Anne of the Thousand Days, Mary Queen of Scots and The Other Boleyn Girl? Come over and we can have a movie watching marathon! And then you can show me more of your cards! :D

God, I LOVE all those movies.......can't wait till this deck comes out!!!

(too bad I don't live closer to you, HC, or I'd come over and watch 'em with ya!) :)

HearthCricket

retrokat said:
Funnily enough, I originally used a gilt-frame border (as per Golden, although USGS muted it to a mustard colour), but then given the intimacy of the deck, I ended up being much happier with the more subtle plain, dark wooden frame. I think the gilt title-plate and the foil-gilded edging will be just the right amount of understated opulence.

One thing it sure won't have is foil accents (embossed gold bits on the cards) - I always think those look like trashy greeting cards. I was married to a Master Gilder for 10 yrs, so I'm probably a bit fussy about these things :p

Thanks muchly for those other movie tips - will try to get hold of them to watch while I work on the Companion Book over the winter :D

Heehee...I meant one really large card, like, oh, a 2x5 foot one, to hang in the gallery hall. ;) :D

HearthCricket

tapestry said:
God, I LOVE all those movies.......can't wait till this deck comes out!!!

(too bad I don't live closer to you, HC, or I'd come over and watch 'em with ya!) :)

Yay, Tudor party! We will watch the movies dimmed by candlelight then force Kat to read for us with her new deck. :D If she refuses, there is always the Tower....

:eek:

tapestry

HearthCricket said:
Yay, Tudor party! We will watch the movies dimmed by candlelight then force Kat to read for us with her new deck. :D If she refuses, there is always the Tower....

:eek:

t'would be lots of fun although hopefully the ghost of poor Mark Smeaton won't haunt her in the Tower!

Hey, speakin' of the Tudors -- have ya seen 'em on Showtime yet? I bought the DVD set since we don't have Showtime....it's *spectacular* and by far the best thing I've seen about the Tudors yet and I'm a BIG Tudor fan as well...

retrokat

tarotrose said:
I can't wait to "hear" what stories the Touchstone cards have to tell!

Making this deck has been so different to Golden, since faces/characters are the heart of the Touchstone deck. It's been more like casting a film, trawling through thousands of paintings for a face that suits the archetype, character or role (for Majors, Courts and Minors respectively). I already feel that they're telling me stories so I'm sure that you'll hear them too :)

retrokat

tapestry said:
Hey, speakin' of the Tudors -- have ya seen 'em on Showtime yet? I bought the DVD set since we don't have Showtime....it's *spectacular* and by far the best thing I've seen about the Tudors yet and I'm a BIG Tudor fan as well...

The historical inaccuracies kinda bother me as they're so pointless, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII is a totally bizarre bit of casting. Although it's a damned pretty bodice-ripper, so suspending disbelief I really enjoyed it - and I certainly appreciate that it's brought Tudor history to a mainstream US audience.

The funniest thing in the series is the ever-present tailor in Henry's rooms, as an excuse for JRM to be walking around wearing a half-made jacket, so that he can show off his very buff arms. Eye candy, yum! But not very Henry....

The Elizabeth movies and the Starkey TV series manage to be far more historically accurate and yet still really engaging (and very beautiful). They are so worth buying on DVD, I watch them again and again - although I admit I get distracted by admiring the costumes and working out which painting they are from as they're so accurate.

HearthCricket

retrokat said:
The Elizabeth movies and the Starkey TV series manage to be far more historically accurate and yet still really engaging (and very beautiful). They are so worth buying on DVD, I watch them again and again - although I admit I get distracted by admiring the costumes and working out which painting they are from as they're so accurate.

I am so glad I am not the only one who does this. I was very familiar with a lot of the tudor paintings before Elizabeth came out, so when they showed her coronation and various dresses I was just floored at their accuracy. So I really appreciate her red dress in your new deck! :D I am expecting the Tudor DVD anyday now, from Amazon. Again, I have been warned about the inaccuracies, but look forward to the costumes, the tapestries, the whole crazy Tudor world. Funny how such a time period draws one into utter fascination! This deck will be on my favourite list, without a doubt!

retrokat

Has anyone here seen the Other Boleyn Girl yet? From the trailer I'm guessing that also takes a fair bit of licence with history - although Scarlett Johansson was so lovely in Girl With A Pearl Earring that I'm very keen to see it. How are the costumes? :D

easternsunrise

I saw it and loved it! The costumes are beautiful!

edited-Referring to The Other Boleyn Girl.

tapestry

retrokat said:
The historical inaccuracies kinda bother me as they're so pointless, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII is a totally bizarre bit of casting. Although it's a damned pretty bodice-ripper, so suspending disbelief I really enjoyed it - and I certainly appreciate that it's brought Tudor history to a mainstream US audience.

The funniest thing in the series is the ever-present tailor in Henry's rooms, as an excuse for JRM to be walking around wearing a half-made jacket, so that he can show off his very buff arms. Eye candy, yum! But not very Henry....

Yes, I know what you mean about inaccuracies in the film, but I still loved it....however, why couldn't they find a red-haired Henry and a dark-eyed Anne Boleyn???

I know it probably seems like a small thing but both of those traits were mentioned *numerous* times in all the books I've read about the two of them....plus the fact that JRM doesn't look very tall, and Henry was supposed to have been at least 6 feet tall....

Oh well....whatcha gonna do....particularly *love* the Irish actress who plays Katherine (her name escapes me at the moment, tho)

I'm soooo happy, Kat, that you're gonna be doing a deck that features Tudor history!!! :D :D :D (I'm salivating for it already!)