Tarot Masterclass by Paul Fenton-Smith

MareSaturni

I found this book for sale in a web store, so unfortunately i cannot flip through this book to see if it's worth reading or not. So i would like some opinion of the people who have read it...is it interesting? In the blurb it says that is give special attention to the court cards (and that's one of the things i was interested into)...i does it add anything new on the subject?

Here's the blurb:
"Accessible and innovative, this comprehensive reference will deepen an understanding of tarot cards by providing detailed meanings for each card, including health, personality, and financial aspects; color charts for instant interpolations; readings for conflicting and reverse cards; and both spiritual and practical layouts. Focusing on the Rider Waite pack--the oldest and most widely used tarot deck--this manual also offers a thorough explanation of the court cards, which are often neglected in tarot guides. Practical steps to psychic cleansing and protection combine with real-life stories to emphasize the important points of the tarot as well as give them worldly, topical meanings. Complete with never-before-seen charts of the major and minor arcana, this guide book will strengthen any readers' skill and increase their confidence in this timeless art."

It seems to be an interesting book but does it do what it promises?

Thank you for any help :)

Catwomyn

I have this at home and will look it over again and try and post something tomorrow for you.

MareSaturni

Catwomyn said:
I have this at home and will look it over again and try and post something tomorrow for you.

I was getting worried, thinking that maybe i had imagined this book, since no one answered :bugeyed:. Lol :smoker:

3 of Cups

I have this book. It gives general meanings for the major arcana cards, and additional finances, health, and spiritual meanings, plus reversed for each. For minors it gives general meanings, reversals, and oppositions.

I ordered it through Borders, because Amazon said it was unavailable last spring, but it looks like Amazon has it now.

MareSaturni

3 of Cups said:
I have this book. It gives general meanings for the major arcana cards, and additional finances, health, and spiritual meanings, plus reversed for each. For minors it gives general meanings, reversals, and oppositions.

I ordered it through Borders, because Amazon said it was unavailable last spring, but it looks like Amazon has it now.

Hi :)

Thanks for the brief explanation. Looks like the kind of book i like...i guess i'll just buy it then ;)

metal_romantic

I really like his tarot books, but I have all 3 and I can never remember which is which... they kind of become a big blur... I'll have another look and post again :)

Catwomyn

Its focus is for common sense reading. Offers no esoteric info. If your goal is to be able to do readings for yourself and your friends, this is a good basic book.

He has more comprehensive listings for the Court cards than most and talks about how they are likely to interact.

rif

I recommend any of his books! His tarot books are worth it for the anecdotes and reading advice alone.

I do prefer Mastering the Tarot to this one, but I think it's a good book.

His stuff is hard to come buy at a good price (last time I looked).

Greg Stanton

I should check this out. I used to be heavily into Esotericism/GoldenDawn/Crowley, until I finally had the realization that none of it really panned out. Unfortunately the GD-type stuff is so ingrained in the subject of Tarot and the Occult in general, that it's difficult to find material with a pure perspective. Even the authors of the most basic and practical books often quote GD "correspondences" without questioning why or how these attributions even apply (they don't, IMO).

MareSaturni

Catwomyn said:
Its focus is for common sense reading. Offers no esoteric info. If your goal is to be able to do readings for yourself and your friends, this is a good basic book.

Yes it is my goal. I don't like book filled with esoteric stuff. I want tarot, and tarot only.

Catwomyn said:
He has more comprehensive listings for the Court cards than most and talks about how they are likely to interact.

Great! It's hard to find a book with gives good info about the court cards. I unfortunately do not fins Mary GReer's book on them here where i live.

rif said:
I recommend any of his books! His tarot books are worth it for the anecdotes and reading advice alone.

I do prefer Mastering the Tarot to this one, but I think it's a good book.

His stuff is hard to come buy at a good price (last time I looked).

Why do you think that "Mastering the Tarot" is better? Do you think that there's any kind of information 'lacking' in the Tarot Masterclass?

I have never read any book by this author before, so i'm investigating before buying :)