Will Lenormand stay pure and simple or not

avalonian

I guess what I'm saying is that the sense of purity should come from within you (or me or anyone), and from finding our own ways to relate to the cards, rather than depending on finding it in the outside world.

That is going in my journal, brilliant!

In fact, I think I'll memorise it for the next time I get tempted by yet another book (on Lenormand, Tarot or anything else) that is telling me how to do something.

I think you have just saved me an absolute fortune. Thank you.

:) :) :)

Padma

But who invented the planetry links?

I searched a bit on the web, and came up with this:

"Elisabeth Drabeck, who published a now out-of-print work titled “Mystisches Kartenlegen nach Mlle Lenormand” (Corona, 2000) (Trans: Mystical Card-laying following Mlle Lenormand) has more recently published a three volume work on “Die Magischen Karten nach Mlle Lenormand” (Trans: The Magical Cards following Mlle Lenormand) (Drabeck, 2006+2007). The third volume is entirely dedicated to “the practical and helpful consultation of the cards including magic, metaphysics and psychology”. This includes elements such as numerology, colour associations, meditation themes, essential oils and flower essences, amulets and talismans, runic and tarot associations, mantras, crystals, and astrology."

I found that on the "Celtic Lenormand" blog. (Will Worthington's Lenormand cards are featured on it, and it is written by C. Mcracken, who co-created the deck with Will, I think...and goes by the handle of Inner Whispers.) Further, from what I can gather, there are 36 cards and 36 decans in astrology, so they were applied to the cards...I do not know if Ms. Drabeck invented that system, or merely talks about it in her book...

Richard

BTW, if one is trying to get back to the original Lenormand, it consisted only of the playing cards depicted as inserts on some decks. The scenic pictures are a more recent innovation. Authenticity, purity, and simplicity are not synonymous.

DownUnderNZer

When I started the Lenormand there was not alot on the internet back then in English and only one book, in fact, I spent hours having the German translated of just "pairs".

But two German women taught me the GT which is a good system to look at the main aspects of ones life: Health, money, job, relationships...that kind of thing. And as I wanted something to answer specific questions, I bought the book (Steinbach) which was really confusing working out the spread itself only I was fortunate enough to happen across someone that did know how it was meant to work and she cleared up all my questions.

Wouldnt it be cool if we could have 10 minutes with the woman behind these cards?. ;)

Having said that, I have never looked at the internet for meanings as didnt know it had evolved (that is really really cool I think when some only have cards to go by) and am aware that there are not only different systems, but different styles and spreads which do work.

However, having said that, as it is a very simple system I dont get why some stray from a question and give all kinds of answers only not really addressing what was asked in the first place. Im sure when I started "specific" questions I would get thrown with a card like the HEART for a financial question or FISH for a LOVE one.

Like huh?!? Isnt that card connected to something like...rather than...so what could it mean?:bugeyed:

But then I learnt to keep it to the question regardless of the card.

HEART became strong desire connected to finances and the FISH a free spirit and someone that likes her/his independance in a relationship, but looking to be more committed etc.

So, I learnt how to work the cards out a bit better, but not EASY like doing the GT at all for me. Trial and error...

I'm sure something else will change or evolve, but as long as the basic meanings keep (close to what Madam Lenormand had in mind if possible) I dont think it will matter what style or spread is used as long as it is kept simple and close to how she worked each card to mean which I think comes with the French or German systems, perhaps one or two others as well, but I'd say definitely French and German for sure.

Le Fanu

as long as the basic meanings keep (close to what Madam Lenormand had in mind if possible)...
The horse has already bolted. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Lenormand card meanings you find in books or on the net (or probably what you think of as "basic meanings") bear any resemblance to how she read. Nobody knows how she read. She didn't use these cards with pictures of trees and storks and keys. She read with a piquet pack which has 32 cards. The Lenormand deck has 36 cards.

If there's any resemblence between what are known as Lenormand decks and the deck she read with then I'll eat my spreadcloths.

And - yes - astrological associations in 2007 (thank you, Lotus). I thought as much...

frelkins

I'm sure something else will change or evolve, but as long as the basic meanings keep (close to what Madam Lenormand had in mind if possible) I dont think it will matter what style or spread is used as long as it is kept simple and close to how she worked each card to mean which I think comes with the French or German systems, perhaps one or two others as well, but I'd say definitely French and German for sure.

My heart breaks here. Srsly. What LeFanu said. How can the history of this simple game already be so confused when it was clearly established between 1968-72? :(

DownUnderNZer

The horse has already bolted. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Lenormand card meanings you find in books or on the net (or probably what you think of as "basic meanings") bear any resemblance to how she read. Nobody knows how she read. She didn't use these cards with pictures of trees and storks and keys. She read with a piquet pack which has 32 cards. The Lenormand deck has 36 cards.

If there's any resemblence between what are known as Lenormand decks and the deck she read with then I'll eat my spreadcloths.

And - yes - astrological associations in 2007 (thank you, Lotus). I thought as much...

I learnt from two German woman first...so not from books...and I think they learnt from their mothers etc. So, I just assumed that the French and German systems were close to Madame Lenormand. I spose it is diffcult to really know with her going back to Napolean days which is why I said it would be do great to have 10 minutes with her. Only way to know really is from the source or if she left anything written behind I spose.

What I do know is that when she first started out her system failed, so she had to revise it only I cant recall where in heck I got that from. :bugeyed:

Just 10 minutes with her will clarify everything...is what I say. :)

frelkins

BTW, if one is trying to get back to the original Lenormand, it consisted only of the playing cards depicted as inserts on some decks. The scenic pictures are a more recent innovation. Authenticity, purity, and simplicity are not synonymous.

Please be so kind as to be a bit more precise as to what you mean by "original" here. Ty. :D

DownUnderNZer

My heart breaks here. Srsly. What LeFanu said. How can the history of this simple game already be so confused when it was clearly established between 1968-72? :(

Back then I think playing cards were not so common, but she had her own system with them.
Im kind of going off it like that. How she perceived the cards to be regardless of whether or not they had symbols or not. And playing cards back then Im sure would have been quite plain and simple. I have no idea as wasnt born then, but Im sure not like what we have today.

How do you get 1968 - 1972?