New tarot-based movie coming

FantasyWorld

CalypsoTea said:
FantasyWorld, I know this show was mentioned before in another thread, but "The Vision of Escaflowne" is a wonderful anime where tarot cards are very important to the story. I recommend the series rather than the movie (which doesn't use the Tarot much at all). It's targeted to an older audience and doesn't reflect Tarot negatively at all, in my opinion. As for Woody Allen's movie, I'll wait and see. Hopefully it won't be as negative as it looks like it could be. ^_^

I have started to really enjoy anime movies.....we've seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind...which was great! Nothing to do w/tarot but hey....
The Cat Returns...waiting for Princess Mononoke,Spirited Away,Metropolis,
My Beautiful Girl Mari, Kaena: The Prophecy,Grave of the Fireflies
and actually many others (Netflix;).

BB
Leslie

MareSaturni

CalypsoTea you misunderstood me. I love Sakura. I have all the mangas(comics) and one artbook. I just don't get more stuff because i'm a poor student. I wasn't "putting it off" because it's for children. I'm a great cartoon lover. I was just saying that the cards used are very different from tarot and that the movie is, mainly, for children. I wasn't saying it's not worth any attention, it sucks or anything. FYI, i have watched this movie.
And i do think the Clow Cards are different from Tarot and shouldn't be put in the same group just because they are 'cards'. I was just clarifying that - the the cartoon doesn't show Tarot cards, but another sort of deck.

I'm sorry if i gave you the wrong message, maybe my English is just deficient, but there's no need to be judgmental.

Sorry for being harsh, but i'm sorta offended because i'm an animation lover too and i'd be last person to put things off because they are animated... :(

~Yuko

CalypsoTea

I'm sorry if I offended you; honestly that's the last thing I wanted to do. That's the problem with reading posts online sometimes. It can be easy to get the wrong idea and I apologize.

Clow cards are different from Tarot cards, but to someone watching the show and doesn't know what Tarot cards are, or doesn't know much about them (children especially)... they will consider them the same thing. I've even known Clow cards to sometimes be called tarot cards (thanks a lot, Netflix), and can even be bought as a printed card set, which adds to the confusion.

But I guess that's a whole other topic. Anyways, I am sorry about earlier. ^_^

MareSaturni

CalypsoTea said:
But I guess that's a whole other topic. Anyways, I am sorry about earlier. ^_^

No problem dear, i know there's a lot of confusion because the Clow Cards also have a printed version that is usually sold with the Tarot decks. I'm sorry about all this misunderstanding, glad things were straighten out ^_^

There's a book in Japanese that tells how to read your fortune with the Clow Cards, but i don't own it and, even if i did, i wouldn't understand a thing!

~Yuko

Fatima

LittleBuddha said:
Just wondering how you can murder with a tarot card.

In spell work Littlebuddha.
You may not practice magic, but you have to understand that others do, and Tarot cards are among the most common spellcrafting tools.
I do it myself, and I can tell you plenty of stories where actual people have done all kinds of revenge and death spells involving putting Death cards under people's car engine hood etc. They claim success anyways...

F.

Ross G Caldwell

Fatima said:
In spell work Littlebuddha.
You may not practice magic, but you have to understand that others do, and Tarot cards are among the most common spellcrafting tools.
I do it myself, and I can tell you plenty of stories where actual people have done all kinds of revenge and death spells involving putting Death cards under people's car engine hood etc. They claim success anyways...

F.

Hi Fatima,

I am very interested in this subject, as I will have to be speaking on it soon (historical use of playing cards (including tarot cards) in magic). I would like to gather as much information as possible, even though contemporary usage is not the focus of my talk.

Are there good written sources available, that might give hints as to historical usage?

Private mail is fine for a response.

Thanks.

Ross

Fatima

@ Ross

PM'ed you.

prudence

Ross G Caldwell said:
Hi Fatima,

I am very interested in this subject, as I will have to be speaking on it soon (historical use of playing cards (including tarot cards) in magic). I would like to gather as much information as possible, even though contemporary usage is not the focus of my talk.

Are there good written sources available, that might give hints as to historical usage?

Private mail is fine for a response.

Thanks.

Ross
This is something that interests me as well. Will you be posting the lecture on your website, Ross?

Fatima

prudence said:
Will you be posting the lecture on your website, Ross?

@ Ross
I'd like to read it too. My references were all current, but if you manage to put together something with some historical flavour, I'd be very interested in reading it.
Good luck anyways,

F.

Ross G Caldwell

prudence said:
This is something that interests me as well. Will you be posting the lecture on your website, Ross?

Yes, after I present it.

There are only a few references in all of the centuries between 1400 and the late 1900s to using cards and tarot in magic spells and other things, but they are interesting enough to be told even though not a lot can be said about folk magic - it has left hardly a trace in history. Naturally - magic is usually secret, and the evidence destroyed.

I will be speaking about divination also - there are a few new pieces of information that I've posted about over the last three years, but most playing-card people haven't heard of them, and they've never been published properly.