Negative aspects of positive cards

PageofWords

I have seen 10 of Pentacles come out negative for couples, as in a "completion" stage. It's weird to me, because 10 of Pentacles seems so secure and permanent, but sometimes it comes right before a parting or breakup. I suppose 10 of Pentacles can simply refer to an event or happy time with family, but then it's over...

That is weird to me. I see 10 of pentacles as stability but not necessarily love (if it's negative). Like you're in a stable committed relationship but maybe the passion is gone. Maybe these couples decided they needed passion and that's why they broke up!

PageofWords

Sun - shining a light on something you'd rather remain hidden or being overexposed
Star - relying on hope instead of action
10C - the happy family facade that you put on for strangers
10P - family legacy used as a weapon of control (if you don't do what I want, I'm going to cut you out of the will)

I see the Aces as representing potential, which is neither positive nor negative, so I can't help you there.

Rodney

There definitely is negative potential. I hadn't really thought about that when looking at the aces. I like your interpretations. Especially the Star! I think for 10 of cups it would depend on what it was drawn with to have that outcome of the "facade"

PageofWords

The negative side of the Aces could be untapped potential, as in "locked up" for some reason. If you can't "trigger" it, it might as well not be there. We all know people with loads of promise who never seem to put it to work for themselves. Kind of the like the guy I used to know with a Masters Degree in Physics who worked at a hardware store (before the days when under-employment was par for the course). For the record, I think I would see reversed Aces as misapplied potential, the negative upright as "frozen in place."

I definitely agree with that! Could you elaborate a little on the individual negatives of the Ace? I see where you're going as a whole but individual clarification would be awesome. Thanks!

PageofWords

This is very true!

Just to share with you guys. I did a 12 house forecast for the upcoming year last July. In the second house (i.e. the house of money and possessions), I got the 10 of cups, so I thought ''Oh great! Awesome! I will make more money''. Since I am looking for my first career after some long studies, this automatically meant ''money'' and ''reward'' in my mind. Well, I have never been so broken of my life and I am still unemployed :) My mom had to lend me some money and I will pay her back, hence to 10 of cups (i.e. receiving money via family and seeing the ''value'' that family has in my life, especially regarding my finances). Yep!

My goodness that is so true! I've never thought about it that way. I think I'm in the same boat. I'm employed but not in a job that allows me to save. Yet from the kindness of people around me (family, friends, partner) I've been able to live a bit beyond my means. So I guess the cards don't always mean you're going to get the 6-figure job that you want...

PageofWords

Over-exposure - over-sharing. Burning, physical or emotional. Not allowing yourself or those around you to rest, reflect and turn inwards. Inappropriate laughter. Lack of empathy. Jollying people along, when understanding and accepting their feelings would be more helpful. All sorts of stuff.

Unrealistic expectations (I will win when gambling, that person will fall in love with me, I will get that job even though there are lots better qualified than I am, etc etc). Living in the future instead of getting the most out of the present. Day-dreaming instead of really experiencing life. Putting things off in the hope that it will be better later. All that kind of stuff, none of which is ever helpful in life.

Selfishly living for your own pleasures. spending too much time wrapped up in those you love, and paying no attention to the rest of the world. Along those lines.

Really, *every* card, positive or negative, has its obverse side. And every card has within it hints as to how to mend what it represents, and rebalance/heal yourself.

These are all great and a new take on what I've read so far. I definitely have had instances of that negative sun either from me or those around me. I like to hear your take because I've heard multiple times that the sun is NEVER a bad card (even reversed). But the sun can burn you!

I'd love to hear your take on the negative aspect of the strength card or temperance. Thanks for the help!

PageofWords

Sun - need to be in the limelight for happiness, narcissism, fever, skin diseases that burn and/or ooze when it's too hot

Star - having too much faith and not taking concrete steps, not looking at what's in front of you to find happiness, need to work in a group to acquire exposure (stars in constellation)

10 of Cups - fake happiness, selfies, aiming at a future where you need others to feel complete (husband, wife, kids), not realizing that this card is the end OF A CYCLE, not the end itself.

Ha the sun is definitely a Leo feeling card so I get the "look at me" aspect of it (as a Leo hehe)

The star does seem a bit too dreamy for her own good sometimes! Thanks for the feedback. How would you see the 6 of cups as negative?

PageofWords

This conversation makes me think about a post i've recently seen on the daily tarot girl blog : https://www.daily-tarot-girl.com/2017/02/07/the-dark-side-of-those-good-tarot-cards/ . It may interest you.

Others have already given interesting suggestions, but here's some other ideas.
The sun could be about an oversized ego or a lack of modesty, thinking that you can manage everything. This card often makes me think about the myth of Icarus. He thought he had enough power to get close to the sun but it burn his wings.

Star : i don't like this card actually. When it appears i can hear its little voice saying to me : don't worry things will go better. Someday.

10 of cups : wishing a happily ever after, having unrealistic expectations about a relationship, living in a fantasy. But life is not a fairy tale.

Ace of wands : i've already seen this card for a feeling of anger

Ace of cups : an overflowing emotion. But it can be every kind of emotion. I've seen it for sadness (the water in the cup can be seen as tears), stress and regrets.

Ace of swords : a truth. But some truth can hurt.

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about. Would love more resources like that! Just wish she had done a few more. Thanks so much for doing the Aces individually! Definitely puts it into perspective. I would not have guessed that for the Ace of wands but it makes sense as a fire element/hot-headed.

What would you say is a negative aspect of the Strength card? What about 6 of rods? Thanks!

PageofWords

Sun = sun burn or polymorphic light syndrome (I have the latter - Lol. an allergy to UVA)
Star = Hope... is the tip of the iceberg of despair. Don't hope - get on and DO something! :joke:
10 of Cups = "Happy Clappy families" - we are such a great and close family look at us!... (oh but actually, we don't really talk in too much detail and now that aunty's passed away - we're at war with each other for her inheritance).
Ace of Cups = Are you now a a convert of X religion, which means you're sprouting the love of Y until we all feel like slapping you? :joke:

King of Wands - The wife beater
King of Cups - great manipulator
Page of Cups - wildly jealous
Page of Wands - problem child
Queen of Wands - vengeful woman
Queen of Swords - devious
Knight of Cups - ladies man
Knight of Swords - cocky b******

:joke: :joke:

Yay! Thanks for doing the court cards! Love having this little list. Haha don't like the wife beater one though! What would you say is a negative aspect of the World?

PageofWords

To me the negative interpretations are in the reversed meanings so the star for example would be hope and self esteem whereas the negative end of the spectrum or the reversed card would be loss of hope and low self esteem. Because the rx card carries both ends of the spectrum of the upright version it could also read unwarranted hope and to find out which interpretation is correct we need to look at the surrounding spread.

Yes, I haven't thought about that. I haven't started learning reverse meanings yet because I'm still learning upright but I think you can get some reversed meanings even if the card is upright

PageofWords

Both the 10 of Cups and the 10 of Pentacles can have a negative side simply because they represent the "last gasp" of the elemental energy before it rolls over into the next suit. The idea is that the situation is approaching a dormant state that has no room left to grow. Because the 10 of Wands and the 10 of Swords already have a difficult connotation, their opposite expression could be a sense of relief that the situation is drawing to a close.

Yes I totally agree with you. But I also think it is possible to go through these stages multiple times in a relationship. You get to the end and then either break up or have to find a way to take a next step or make things feel new again.