Tarot cards associated with personal authenticity?

zeldajones91

Hi!

Okay, I'm hoping that someone more familiar with tarot meanings can help me out here.

I just did a character strengths survey through www.VIAcharacter.org and I am choosing a tarot card for each of my top ten strengths. I'm not exactly a tarot newbie, but I haven't used my cards in awhile so I'm getting reacquainted.

I was happily plugging along until I got to the tenth strength, which is HONESTY. I associate honesty with being authentic and true to yourself. Flipping through my reference books and looking at the cards, nothing really clicked. These are some of the cards I'm considering for the position:

THE FOOL - The devil-may-care attitude of this guy reminds me of being authentic in situations where people are prone to judge you.

THE WORLD - This card feels like authenticity through self-knowledge and inner power. The woman on the card looks like she is absolutely comfortable with herself. I'm not sure why, but this card always feels so *big* and *enlightened* to me, and I'm hesitant use it because I never feel like I measure up.

THE PAGE OF SWORDS - I used this card to describe a different strength, Good Judgment, but I feel like it could apply to honesty and authenticity as well.

What do you all think?

Since authenticity is a huge part of my life, I would welcome any and all insights about cards you'd personally associate with authenticity. I'm excited to hear what anyone has to say! :)

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, zeldajones91!

First card that comes to my mind is the Queen Swords who could literally be seen as being honest to a fault. She will say what needs to be said, and if someone doesn't like it, oh well.

The 3S could also be seen as honesty in that it shows a painful truth or getting to the heart of the matter.

If you use reversals, the 7S Rx could be seen as honesty if you see subterfuge in the upright interpretation.

Since you're equating honesty with personal authenticity, Justice could also work since it deals with integrity.

Again with a reversal, if you see the 9S upright as a guilty conscience, then reversed it could represent a clear conscience, which could tie in with both honesty and personal authenticity.

Rodney

zeldajones91

Welcome to Aeclectic, zeldajones91!

First card that comes to my mind is the Queen Swords who could literally be seen as being honest to a fault. She will say what needs to be said, and if someone doesn't like it, oh well.

The 3S could also be seen as honesty in that it shows a painful truth or getting to the heart of the matter.

If you use reversals, the 7S Rx could be seen as honesty if you see subterfuge in the upright interpretation.

Since you're equating honesty with personal authenticity, Justice could also work since it deals with integrity.

Again with a reversal, if you see the 9S upright as a guilty conscience, then reversed it could represent a clear conscience, which could tie in with both honesty and personal authenticity.

Rodney

Thank you Rodney! I will definitely check out the Queen of Swords. Since the beginning of my tarot journey, she's been one of my major problem cards.

Justice is another card I've picked for one of my other strengths (Fairness) but I can see how it would tie into authenticity too. Lots of yummy stuff to chew on, thank you!

magicjack

Hi. I was also going to say the Queen of Swords because I do see her as a "tell it like it is" sort of person. I also look at the Ace of Swords as the sword of truth that cuts both ways. In other words the truth can hurt sometimes. I also connect the Ace of Swords with the Justice card which also can speak of truth. So I guess I'm connecting swords and truth with honesty.

zeldajones91

Hi. I was also going to say the Queen of Swords because I do see her as a "tell it like it is" sort of person. I also look at the Ace of Swords as the sword of truth that cuts both ways. In other words the truth can hurt sometimes. I also connect the Ace of Swords with the Justice card which also can speak of truth. So I guess I'm connecting swords and truth with honesty.

Thank you! I'll look a little closer at the Swords.

Silmaril23

Before even reading other people's replies, the Queen of Swords was the first card to pop into my mind as well. 🙂

Skysteel

Hi zelda! :)

Since authenticity is a huge part of my life, I would welcome any and all insights about cards you'd personally associate with authenticity. I'm excited to hear what anyone has to say! :)

THE SUN - I reveal things as they really are and do not hide in the shadows.

zeldajones91

This is great, I definitely need to push myself to connect with the Queen of Swords more.

Hi zelda! :)
THE SUN - I reveal things as they really are and do not hide in the shadows.

Original! I like this suggestion too!

SunChariot

Hi!

Okay, I'm hoping that someone more familiar with tarot meanings can help me out here.

I just did a character strengths survey through www.VIAcharacter.org and I am choosing a tarot card for each of my top ten strengths. I'm not exactly a tarot newbie, but I haven't used my cards in awhile so I'm getting reacquainted.

I was happily plugging along until I got to the tenth strength, which is HONESTY. I associate honesty with being authentic and true to yourself. Flipping through my reference books and looking at the cards, nothing really clicked. These are some of the cards I'm considering for the position:

THE FOOL - The devil-may-care attitude of this guy reminds me of being authentic in situations where people are prone to judge you.

THE WORLD - This card feels like authenticity through self-knowledge and inner power. The woman on the card looks like she is absolutely comfortable with herself. I'm not sure why, but this card always feels so *big* and *enlightened* to me, and I'm hesitant use it because I never feel like I measure up.

THE PAGE OF SWORDS - I used this card to describe a different strength, Good Judgment, but I feel like it could apply to honesty and authenticity as well.

What do you all think?

For me personally, I see 2 options. Could be The High Priestess, which could be about truly knowing who you really are deep inside. About knowing and embracing that real you.

But for me, I think more likely the Hierophant. Which for me asks the querent to stop and think about the things they have consciously been taught by others in their lives, by parents, teachers, society, ...

It asks them to stop and think IF some of the things they were taught are not actually true to who they are inside. Maybe they were Truth for the person who told them to you, but not part your your truth. The card pretty much to me is about that, asking the querent to examine what they were taught to make sure if they are clinging to anything that is not authentic to who they truly are inside. And if so, to let go of it and embrace what is.

I think the Hierophant is the best card for me to describe that.

Babs

zeldajones91

Thank you Babs, I would have never thought of The High Priestess or The Hierophant to indicate authenticity, but now it makes a lot of sense.

The Hierophant brings up some really interesting experiences in my life, since I grew up in a super fundamentalist/cultish Christian household. Part of my journey to authenticity was questioning my belief system and deciding that I didn't believe any of it. I've gone through that process *over and over and over* again as I deal with so many of the unhelpful and ingrained beliefs that I was taught.

Anyway, that's just to say that your viewpoint has really made me think. Thank you so much for sharing!