Shadow and Quint cards

.traveller.

With all of the polls regarding this topic, I thought this would be a good time to ask a question... how far do you reduce your numbers for the quint?
Say you have ()=48=12=3
Do you stop at the 12, which would be the Hanged Man in this case, or do you use the 3, the Empress? Do you read both? I've been experimenting with quint cards to see if they are something I might want to include in my readings.

BLFO

.traveller. said:
With all of the polls regarding this topic, I thought this would be a good time to ask a question... how far do you reduce your numbers for the quint?
Say you have ()=48=12=3
Do you stop at the 12, which would be the Hanged Man in this case, or do you use the 3, the Empress? Do you read both? I've been experimenting with quint cards to see if they are something I might want to include in my readings.

This needs to be addressed. But I probably would think one stops at 12. I was told that one use the lowest number only if the the number is over 22 (fools).

For instance,

48=12= Hanged Man

But

25= 2 + 7 = 9

After the number 22, there isn't anymore tarot cards to look up so you reduce it some more. But the numbers 10 to 22, you keep as is.

But maybe someone reads 12/Hanged Man and 3/Empress at the same time? Anyone here that does that?

Edit:

Does anyone use the Base card and the Quint card in the same reading? Or does one pick one or the other, because they are basically the same thing, but just a different methold of getting the "shadow" card?

kwaw

Al Si'ra said:
Oh btw if you get a number like 42..i personally add 4 and 2 and get 6=lovers-i mean i always did it this way and it works for me,but i know that some members do 42-21(always subtract 21 no matter what you get)=21=World... there are various methods..

:love:

I prefer to simply deduct 22 from sum until it falls into range 0-21. The quitessential is also discussed in thread on Tirage en Croix spread here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1162515#post1162515

Kwaw

kwaw

Fudugazi said:
Jo - 4+8+19+10=41=5 (I don't assign a number to the Queen). You reduce at the very end.

How do you take into account the fact that by this method neither Bateleur or Papesse, I or II, can ever be a quintessential card in any spread with three cards or more?

Kwaw

firecatpickles

An excellent way to deduce quints, kwaw! I find it fascinating that the highest total number & the number of cards in the standard pack are equal re: 18 + 19 + 20 + 21 = 78 :)

To add to the confusion, some people refer to minors "shadowing" majors, e.g., "5 of Pentacles shadows the earthen influence of the Hierophant." Or, the VI. Lovers shadows the XV. Devil (1 + 5 = 6), etc.

I have taken to the idea lately that the bottom card of the deck; what Fulgour (used to?) lovingly refer(s) to as the "peek-a-boo" card; is called the "heel" of the deck [Alain Bocher, tarot de la réa, 1982].

starrystarrynight

I don't figure the quint card anymore (I used to a long time ago using very much the same method as Fudugazi outlined).

I don't like math. I don't like adding numbers, and I figure, life is too short to waste time doing something I don't like doing! :)

I always, however, look at the bottom card of the deck after the shuffle and throw. In my book, it's the base[/i] card, and it always has relevence to the reading. It is, after all, one of the cards cut to (the way I do it) just before I begin dealing off the top for the spread. I figure it has found its way to he bottom of the deck for a reason.