Knight of Cups as Feelings

Empath111

Pao said:
how would the knight be seen as the outcome for the relationship then? One person proposing to another? or asking them out? a declaration of feelings or falling in love. got me thinking now. :) as a person I get it, he is romantic, kinda like prince charming but as an outcome to the relationship I still am not 100% clear.
I think what you said is correct - some sort of invitation or offer...asked out on a date or even maybe basic flirting?

Little Baron

caridwen said:
The Knight of Cups is impetuous, romantic and liable to fall in love at the drop of a hat. He is the grail knight and after some kind of ideal - whether or not you fit that ideal is neither here nor there as this dreamy Knight lives mostly in his imagination which doesn't always tally with reality. He is forever falling in love with the most unsuitable people maybe because he in some way enjoys the highs and lows of unrequited love and to have that love returned would be too realistic for him to handle. He would like to rescue a damsel in distress and maybe typified by the 'rescuer' male - the man who enjoys 'rescuing' women whether they need it or not. He is immature and probably unable or unwilling to handle a grown up relationship so probably prefers to admire from a distance. He can also represent a stage in a romantic relationship.

He definitely has a romantic inclination towards you but whether he actually does anything about it or sighs from a distance is to be seen:p

I think you nailed him Caridwen. That is exactly how I see him too. And so well summed up. Thanks for that.

LB

Sophie

The Knight of Cups as feelings means - "True Love". Whenever I get him in my readings, I know my beloved is about to be very loving and attentive to me (or I to him!), and sweep me (gently) off my feet :love:. Unlike what Caridwen wrote, I think this knight - like all knights - acts. He acts on his feelings. Only, he's not Mr Speedy Gonzales - he's no knight of Swords or Wands. He will come to you in his own sweet time, LOL. But full of love. You are his Beloved. He follows his heart. He's not about to rationalise his feelings or weigh them against a football match with the boys, like the Knight of Wands might, or against his career, like the Knight of Pentacles.

The Knight of Cups might also be the feeling that you have to go on a journey because your muse has told you to. The feeling that inspires haunting music and poetry. The feeling you must leave that boring job and start following your dreams.

If this is someone else's feelings you are asking about - don't worry if he doesn't call - he's thinking of you, and when he calls, you'll melt ;)

(but you had better open a good savings plan...because if that's all the guy is, you'll be in trouble!)

Nobody is wholly a Knight of Cups (thank God!), but every man or woman in love has a bit of him in them...

Sophie

Pao said:
how would the knight be seen as the outcome for the relationship then? One person proposing to another? or asking them out? a declaration of feelings or falling in love. got me thinking now. :) as a person I get it, he is romantic, kinda like prince charming but as an outcome to the relationship I still am not 100% clear.
A relationship doesn't have an "outcome" - a relationship is a dynamic, evolving pattern between two people, it is not static. In an outcome position in a relationship reading, I would say that the Knight of Cups brings a new quality of feeling and love to the relationship, possibly a very romantic episode, and depending on the state of the relationship - anything from asking someone on a date to a proposal. What the couple do with the feeling is another matter - it will come to nourish the ever-moving waters of that relationship. Knights have the capacity to effect change - so it could signal a turning-point towards more feeling and openness in a relationship.

Little Baron

Fudugazi, do you think that maybe Caridwens ideas might be associated with the reversed side of this knight?

LB X

Sophie

Little Baron said:
Fudugazi, do you think that maybe Caridwens ideas might be associated with the reversed side of this knight?
Well, no, because her description is actually quite balanced. The only part I don't agree with is about action - my experience of this knight is that he does act, like all knights, only differently from the focussed knight of Swords, the fiery knight of Wands, or the plodding knight of Pentacles. He acts on his feelings, and therefore is unpredictable. That adds to the enchantment, of course, unless you are the type of insecure person who needs constant reassurance in a relationship. When Caridwen speaks of a "stage in a relationship", I totally agree - it's that enchanted feeling when you are carried away on the wings of love. It can actually come several times in the same relationship, since relationships go through cycles. A happy long-lasting relationship will always keep a bit of Knight of Cups energy in reserve, for those moonlit nights ;)

I've experienced the Knight of Cups as feelings in both negative and positive ways throughout my life - both in myself and other people. At his best, this is a wonderful enchanting knight! At his worst - man, you don't know where you are going with him (whether he's inside you or mirrored in someone else) and he can be quite destructive.

I would say that in a love relationship, he is essential, but if his the only energy there is in the relationship, it might be very romantic, but nothing else.

siren85

thanks fudagazi! that makes alot of sense. :) I guess I'm changing my views on the knight... I always considered the Lovers, ace of cups, 2 of cups, and page of cups as 'falling in love'. I kind of figured the knight of cups to be idealistic, introverted, a dreamer, never really making any kind of move... hmm

Sophie

siren85 said:
I kind of figured the knight of cups to be idealistic, introverted, a dreamer, never really making any kind of move... hmm
Maybe it's not him making the move - maybe it's his horse, taking a hand in his human's business, like Cupid :laugh:

caridwen

Glad to see I've sparked debate:D

For me, this Knight has not so far represented action. He has represented emotions or the situation I am in. For this Knight to act in a mature and balanced manner on his emotions I would look for the King of Cups.

I am ruled by water as both Cancer Sun and Scorpio Moon (and that's as far as my astrology knowledge goes:p) and I know I'm acting in an immature, imbalanced manner when this Knight shows up representing me because as far as I am concerned he lives in his dreams and is ruled by his emotional impulses. He has never predicated someone offering a 'grail' cup or Ace of Cups to me (more's the pity:( ) .

Sophie

caridwen said:
For me, this Knight has not so far represented action. He has represented emotions or the situation I am in. For this Knight to act in a mature and balanced manner on his emotions I would look for the King of Cups.
hehe - no, certainly the Knight of Cups does not represent mature and balanced action - but as a knight, he does represent some kind of action: of the more ecstatic and impulsive kind, based on his emotions. That's why I wrote he follows his heart. The King of Cups, in contrast, is more likely to weigh his romantic feelings against other feelings he might have, and will be more sedate and reliable in his approach, though he might take (and don't I know that!) a hell of a long time to make up his mind because he so hates hurting people.

caridwen said:
I am ruled by water as both Cancer Sun and Scorpio Moon (and that's as far as my astrology knowledge goes:p) and I know I'm acting in an immature, imbalanced manner when this Knight shows up representing me because as far as I am concerned he lives in his dreams and is ruled by his emotional impulses. He has never predicated someone offering a 'grail' cup or Ace of Cups to me (more's the pity:( ) .
Hehe, I'm a pretty watery tart myself, to quote Michael Palin. What's more, according to the Golden Dawn system, the Knight of Cups is associated with my date of birth. I know this fellow pretty well, I love him and hate him! Not that I am intending to give you a grail, Caridwen :D. But don't despair - the day someone hands that grail to you, you will know he's moved by the Knight of Cups in him, even if he looks like a sedate King of Pentacles :)