Nisaba's Timing Method

canid

I'm still a little confused on why another deck is needed just for timing. And why can't a deck that has been used for readings be used for timing? I love my gilded tarot and am very attached to it. I don't really want to use another deck because I have such a strong connection with my gilded deck. Can someone please explain?

You don't have to switch decks! I really don't think that Nisaba meant that another deck is necessary for predicting timing, I think she was sharing how she personally does it; she's got a lot of *time* under her belt to learn how it works for her. There are so very many methods regarding timing we could split hairs forever. You do NOT have to use another deck if you like your Gilded - there are many many other methods to be used for timing. She was simply giving an alternative way; sharing her own personal experience.

intuition897

This is really handy, Nisaba! My dog ate my beloved Gilded Tarot (the remains are being carefully cut out to make a mixed media collage/painting to hang in my yoga/reading room) and so I needed something to quickly, easily and cheaply replace it. I always like to have a deck to carry around in my purse, so I went to the dollar store and bought two decks of playing cards and a permanent marker. I spent some time finding cards from the second deck to use for Majors (Jack of Spades = Magician, Ace of Wands = Sun, 7 of Hearts = Moon, etc.) and scribbled some quick pictures and labels on them with the marker (nothing fancy). Voila! A complete Tarot deck for $2. And I like that they're non-threatening to people who are really against them.

But I digress. I just used them to do a quick 3-card spread for a job I was recently interviewed for. The question was simply, "So how is the decision coming along for this job?" Queen of Pentacles (me), Hermit and Jack of Wands (the other candidate). I'm guessing the other candidate was a younger person, maybe not so experienced, but full of enthusiasm, creativity and out-of-the-box thinking. The Hermit says to me that they're still deliberating. My question then was, "Okay, so when can I expect to hear about their decision?" and the answer was 2 of Swords. That's when I started hunting for timing interpretations. :) So it sounds like 2 weeks. Anyway I put the card back in the deck, gave it a quick shuffle, and have been reading more in this thread. On a whim, I thought I'd pull one more card from the deck to see if it had any comments. 2 of Swords again. What are the odds? LOL I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks.

Barleywine

I've shared this timing method a few times, but always inside other threads, so that it's more difficult to find on a search. This should make finding it easier.

I have a deck that I only use for timings, with unillustrated pips and with Majors I don't care much for. You are never going to actually READ with this deck, so it's better if it is a deck that lacks meaning for you. During the main reading, if there's an issue that I want a timing on, I shut my eyes briefly, and if I don't hear my voice coming out with a time-interval, I'll hand the querent the timing deck, get them to shuffle it briefly, then cut it at the point where the deck wants to separate (rarely the middle). I'll then look at that card.

This is pretty much how I envisioned using the Paul Hughs-Barlow (PHB) method, although after the main reading and with a specially-prepared deck for each determination (month, week, day). Also, using PHB would limit you to the 12-month window represented by the astrological signs. Nisaba has a much deeper, more fully-realized approach to timing, IMO.

ETA: I never really thought about it much, but I too have used the minors and court cards for informal timing in much the same way (although never as precisely quantified as this): wands and Pages as soonest, coins and Kings as latest. Trumps I've always seen as sooner rather than later, and usually in a BIG way (something urgent and compelling that jumps in with both feet!). But I like the idea of making trump timing contingent upon the querent resolving their main theme first.

Hmm, I think this reply wound up being attached to the wrong post.

nisaba

I'm still a little confused on why another deck is needed just for timing.
Because if some - or even many - of the cards are already down in a spread, the deck won't be able to find the right timing card every time.

And why can't a deck that has been used for readings be used for timing?
It can. But if you're used to reading with your timing deck, it will start to chat to you about the circumstances rather than just give you a timing. So use a deck that doesn't appeal as a reading-deck.

I love my gilded tarot and am very attached to it. I don't really want to use another deck because I have such a strong connection with my gilded deck. Can someone please explain?
Use your gilded deck for the main reading. Then use a deck you don't have an attachment to for timing. Trust me, it works better that way.

nisaba

<grin> Yesterday I shared this with a reader who had no idea how to arrive at timings. She fell in love with it at once.

MzMcKee

I'm glad it came back up to current threads... I have the perfect deck for this and want to start working you're method right away! Thanks!

DownUnderNZer

Is there a thread of example readings done this way for timing?

malakravica

What about opening one about our readings using Nisaba's timing technique? :)

novenovembre

I don't want to sound skeptical, but over the years, maybe because of my experience as a client first and then as a reader, I've come to the conclusion that tarot and divinaton in general do not mix well with the way humans measure time....maybe because whatever is that makes it work exists in a universe where the concept of time does not exist, and the whole idea of months, days, weeks, seasons, etc is meaningless to the cards, but the fact is, I've known some excellent readers over the years, and when it came to timing, they were simply plain useless....I tried it a few times myself with a method I found on a book, but the results were not brilliant....

PS But one thing I had happen is exactly what you described : when you try to get info on timing with the same deck you used for the reading, it keeps telling you stuff about the reading itself....amazing....

nisaba

I don't want to sound skeptical, but over the years, maybe because of my experience as a client first and then as a reader, I've come to the conclusion that tarot and divinaton in general do not mix well with the way humans measure time....
I don't mix well with the way humans measure time, either - could be because I don't really believe in the mass-hallucination that we call time. If I use this method, regardless how meaningless I find time, it presents me with things to tell people, and they get back to me and tell me I'm brilliant later. :)