Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Message from Solandia

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot

Citizen

Amanda 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdude View Post
FWIW, it doesn't HAVE to be that way. I can save it without any help at all! I would just need the login info to the database, and I can move it all to my own server and database structure, quick and painless.

I promise, I manage over 50 message board sites and have done this same thing many, many times.

Please, Solandia, do a reading on this and you'll see... this forum has been such a huge asset, I hate the idea of losing it! Just yesterday I did a spread for a friend and needed help, but without the forum there's just... no help to be had.

If you still say no, I'll probably build a new one that I hope everyone will want to use. I went ahead and bought http://eTarot.net, but it would be so, so much better if we can save the site everyone already loves!!
I would like to know if this happens -- if all my stuff could be transferred (Your Readings, Reading Exchange, Oracle Exchange, etc.) to a new place, I'd be totally willing to let that happen, because I never kept a record of anything anywhere else, and I don't intend to try to download and keep anything now after all the years I've been here.

If not, and you want some serious help from an idea-lady with an MSM (me), I'm game. There are many talented folks here with various real-world skills that could make something great happen and keep it going for years to come.

(You should sign up at the Cartomancy Forum just in case, since things are winding down to the final hours here... that's where a good majority of us have gone.)
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #141
Citizen

JSNYC 
Citizen

Farewell to the best Tarot forum on the internet by far. I wish you all the best Solandia on whatever comes next for you.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #142
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

Quote:
FWIW, it doesn't HAVE to be that way. I can save it without any help at all! I would just need the login info to the database, and I can move it all to my own server and database structure, quick and painless.

I promise, I manage over 50 message board sites and have done this same thing many, many times.

Please, Solandia, do a reading on this and you'll see... this forum has been such a huge asset, I hate the idea of losing it! Just yesterday I did a spread for a friend and needed help, but without the forum there's just... no help to be had.

If you still say no, I'll probably build a new one that I hope everyone will want to use. I went ahead and bought http://eTarot.net, but it would be so, so much better if we can save the site everyone already loves!!
You would need EVERY SINGLE MEMBER'S PERMISSION to download all the member only areas and personal details (emails, paypal etc are all in there.). You would not have mine.

Sorry - but it isn't quite like passing on a library. I signed up under a specific administration. If it went to you - where might it go next and after that ?

We aren't losing the accumulated wisdom, just the member only areas. That's a great loss, sure - but still, the mass of knowledge will still be up there to read.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #143
Citizen

purple_scorp 
Citizen

To csdude,

one of the things that made this forum special was Solandia herself. So, transferring a bunch of posts etc to a new site, doesn't necessarily mean that that site will be as magical as this one.

It's the members, as well as the posts that make a forum special.

with love
purple_scorp
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #144
Citizen

csdude 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
You would need EVERY SINGLE MEMBER'S PERMISSION to download all the member only areas and personal details (emails, paypal etc are all in there.). You would not have mine.

Sorry - but it isn't quite like passing on a library. I signed up under a specific administration. If it went to you - where might it go next and after that ?

We aren't losing the accumulated wisdom, just the member only areas. That's a great loss, sure - but still, the mass of knowledge will still be up there to read.
That's not entirely correct, unless there's an Australian law that's different from the US. Legally speaking, in the US when you sign up for a site then anything you post becomes the property of that site, and they can do whatever they want within the Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions of the site. Believe me, I've handled this several times.

Think of it more like... you signed up for a credit card at Amazon, then Amazon hired a new CEO or merged with Walmart (God forbid).

But that doesn't have to be a concern, either. Passwords are encrypted in the database, so no one would have access to those, anyway. And I think most of us would be happy to just salvage the posts, usernames, and ability to post. If Solandia doesn't feel comfortable passing along PMs or anything else, that's not a big deal at all, we would just lose what we have to lose and deal with it. Something is better than nothing, regardless.

I haven't heard from Solandia, but if I were to be given the choice then I would copy over the bare minimum necessary (with no breach of privacy), then send a bulk email to all users with an opt-in if they want more information to be copied over. So if you don't want something copied over, it's not a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_scorp View Post
one of the things that made this forum special was Solandia herself. So, transferring a bunch of posts etc to a new site, doesn't necessarily mean that that site will be as magical as this one.

It's the members, as well as the posts that make a forum special.
I couldn't agree more, and as a user of the forum for a long time I don't deny that this is a pretty sad loss. But the alternative is to just let it die unnecessarily, and I'd rather try to save it then just give up and act like it doesn't matter.

The people make the forum, it's as simple as that. So we can all either go our separate ways, or try to stick together. It's up to us, really.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #145
Jedi

Zephyros 
Jedi

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, and as a user of the forum for a long time I don't deny that this is a pretty sad loss. But the alternative is to just let it die unnecessarily, and I'd rather try to save it then just give up and act like it doesn't matter.

The people make the forum, it's as simple as that. So we can all either go our separate ways, or try to stick together. It's up to us, really.
Does a tombstone negate a person's life and the impact they had? I would hope not, and AT shutting down doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It will stay on, for the foreseeable future, as a testament to the community that was. Of course it matters, but prolonging its life may not necessarily be the right choice, however sad that may be. As you said, you've managed tens of forums, etc., but AT isn't just another forum. It may be like all the others in technical terms, and I have no doubt that you can do what you say, but it's a small business created by one person and is thus fueled by its creator.

But we're not talking about the CEO of Walmart; AT isn't some faceless corporation but a single person's dream. Although it may be sad that it's closing, I don't know if I could give up "my baby" to someone else. It's more than a business, it's her vision and passion, and I can see the logic of not wanting to give it up to someone else who would maybe corrupt and change that vision.

I've been here 13 years and I can understand her reasons, and I support them. Also, sorry if this comes off as trying to be superior, but your join date is a bit over two years ago. I have to wonder how much contact you've had with Solandia, how well you know the spirit and norms of place and why you would push for taking it on. I would also wonder why she would elect to do as you suggest with you specifically because of those reasons.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #146
Citizen

tarotlova 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
Does a tombstone negate a person's life and the impact they had? I would hope not, and AT shutting down doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It will stay on, for the foreseeable future, as a testament to the community that was. Of course it matters, but prolonging its life may not necessarily be the right choice, however sad that may be. As you, you've managed tens of forums, etc., but AT isn't just another forum.

But we're not talking about the CEO of Walmart; AT isn't some faceless corporation but a single person's dream. Although it may be sad that it's closing, I don't know if I could give up "my baby" to someone else. It's more than a business, it's her vision and passion, and I can see the logic of not wanting to give it up to someone else who would maybe corrupt and change that vision.

I've been here 13 years and I can understand her reasons, and I support them. Also, sorry if this comes off as trying to be superior, but your join date is less than two years ago. I have to wonder how much contact you've had with Solandia, how well you know the spirit and norms of place. I would also wonder why she would elect to do as you suggest because of those reasons, when it appears that preserving what was is part of her rationale for not transferring it to someone else, even to others who have been here far longer. Not talking about me, of course, I wouldn't want that headache.
Ditto to that, I agree completely
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #147
Citizen

Amanda 
Citizen

Quote:
I agree; and if I were given a choice in the matter, it's sticking together.

If the Mayor of a town dies, resigns, or runs out the term, you get a new Mayor. The community doesn't stop because the Mayor is no longer available.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #148
Citizen

purple_scorp 
Citizen

Quote:
That's not entirely correct, unless there's an Australian law that's different from the US. Legally speaking, in the US when you sign up for a site then anything you post becomes the property of that site, and they can do whatever they want within the Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions of the site. Believe me, I've handled this several times.
Hi csdude,

Well, I don't know the US law, but here's an extract from some text in the 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APP) from Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012, which amends the Privacy Act 1988.

Part 3 Dealing with personal information
Australian Privacy Principle 6 use or disclosure of personal information

Use or disclosure

6.1 If an APP entity holds personal information about an individual that was collected for a particular purpose (the primary purpose), the entity must not use or disclose the information for another purpose (the secondary purpose) unless:

the individual has consented to the use or disclosure of the information; or
subclause 6.2 or 6.3 applies in relation to the use or disclosure of the information.

When we became members of this forum, we agreed to have our public posts available on this forum (being the primary purpose).

So, you would need to obtain permission from every member before you could post any of their posts for a secondary purpose (ie your forum).

with love
purple_scorp
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #149
Fugitive from the law of averages

Aulruna 
Fugitive from the law of averages

Actually you can find Aeclectic's privacy policy here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/privacy.shtml

Specifically about this issue, it clearly states:
Quote:
We collect personal information such as email addresses, locations, IP addresses, and birthdates as part of your separate membership to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum, though you may visit the Forum without registering. This personal information is used for the purpose of running and improving the Aeclectic Tarot Forum, and will not be distributed, sold, traded or otherwise shared outside of Aeclectic Tarot staff, unless prior permission is given.
So indeed, if you'd change ownership, you will need prior consent to even get access to the data.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #150

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.