Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Message from Solandia

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot


 
jema's Avatar
jema  jema is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 05 Aug 2001
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,046
jema 
Citizen

jema's Avatar

I remember when we migrated to this forum from the first one you had, that felt weird too at first. Now 17 years later... this has been such a huge part of my life even though I am far from a top-poster. I met so many lovely people and tarot decks. It will be hard to find anything even close to it.

Good luck and smooth sailing.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #151
csdude  csdude is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 10 Feb 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 184
csdude 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
...but AT isn't just another forum. It may be like all the others in technical terms, and I have no doubt that you can do what you say, but it's a small business created by one person and is thus fueled by its creator.

But we're not talking about the CEO of Walmart; AT isn't some faceless corporation but a single person's dream. Although it may be sad that it's closing, I don't know if I could give up "my baby" to someone else. It's more than a business, it's her vision and passion, and I can see the logic of not wanting to give it up to someone else who would maybe corrupt and change that vision.
I can understand that, too, but personally, I see it differently.

My oldest site is 15 years old this October, and it's my baby, too. I would have a REAL hard time handing over the reins... even getting a moderator is hard to do!

But IMO, when you build a forum like this, it's more than a small business... like Amanda said, it's a community. And if you build a community, you have a responsibility to the members to keep it going, even after you leave. You don't just say, "I'm tired of being in charge, but I don't want anyone else in charge, so I'm leaving and taking the community with me".

I'm not judging Solandia, I don't know her situation at all. I just disagree with the act of shutting it down unnecessarily.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
I've been here 13 years and I can understand her reasons, and I support them. Also, sorry if this comes off as trying to be superior, but your join date is a bit over two years ago. I have to wonder how much contact you've had with Solandia, how well you know the spirit and norms of place and why you would push for taking it on. I would also wonder why she would elect to do as you suggest with you specifically because of those reasons.
You're not coming across as superior, these are fair questions.

The fact is, I'm NOT a strong member of the forum. I've tried to be an asset when I could, and I've turned to you guys a lot when I had questions, mainly because I'm still learning the art. But at the same time, I'm not just some faceless corporation that's buying up sites and trying to flip them for a profit; I have an innate desire to keep the community together, and to keep the discussion going.

The reason I push for taking it on is because I have the ability to do it pretty easily. The site is build with a vBulletin template, and I'm familiar with the database structure so I can import it to my own structure pretty seamlessly.

I have my own servers, a small staff to handle the workload, and 15 years of experience in keeping a community like this strong and active. I've literally spent almost half of my life doing this exact thing.

I saw earlier that someone else mentioned something similar, and I wouldn't be offended at all of Solandia went with them instead of me. But I just hope that she does something.


Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_scorp
.1 If an APP entity holds personal information about an individual that was collected for a particular purpose (the primary purpose), the entity must not use or disclose the information for another purpose (the secondary purpose) unless:

the individual has consented to the use or disclosure of the information; or
subclause 6.2 or 6.3 applies in relation to the use or disclosure of the information.

When we became members of this forum, we agreed to have our public posts available on this forum (being the primary purpose).

So, you would need to obtain permission from every member before you could post any of their posts for a secondary purpose (ie your forum).
That's not quite correct, either. Personal information would include real names, email addresses, mailing addresses, etc, not anonymous information like your username. And I'm not asking for any of that; as far as I'm concerned, the paid section of the site can just be wiped clean and start over, if that's what Solandia wants; I don't need or want that much information on anyone.

But if someone takes over a company, then the new person becomes the entity, so from a legal standpoint that's not disclosing information outside of the entity. I would be considered part of the staff (eg, one CEO steps down, another takes their place).

None of that relates to the posts, though, unless they're in a protected section of the site. Public posts are... well, public. Which is why, when you Google things about Tarot (or any other search engine), you can read a portion of the thread results on Google's page; they copy your posts. Which is no different than what I'm hoping to accomplish.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulruna
...or otherwise shared outside of Aeclectic Tarot staff, unless prior permission is given.
So indeed, if you'd change ownership, you will need prior consent to even get access to the data.
I responded to purple_scorp on this, but just to respond to you, too... no, if we merge like I'm suggesting then I become part of Solandia's staff (as new CEO), so it wouldn't be shared outside of the staff.

I should mention, though, Solandia hasn't responded to me at all, so this may all be a waste of time to discuss. I have no idea if she's gotten my email, considered the thought, or even returned to this thread to read the opinions. My point all along has been that I'll accommodate whatever she needs to keep it alive... usernames, encrypted passwords, and a copy of the forum database is all I would really need, although email addresses would be nice so that we could announce the change to everyone. Otherwise, I'll just be another site starting from scratch that probably won't succeed, and we as a community will cease to exist.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #152
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_scorp View Post
To csdude,

one of the things that made this forum special was Solandia herself. So, transferring a bunch of posts etc to a new site, doesn't necessarily mean that that site will be as magical as this one.

It's the members, as well as the posts that make a forum special.

with love
purple_scorp
Exactly. Without Solandia - it won't be AT. However nice anyone else is - it won't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
Does a tombstone negate a person's life and the impact they had? I would hope not, and AT shutting down doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It will stay on, for the foreseeable future, as a testament to the community that was. Of course it matters, but prolonging its life may not necessarily be the right choice, however sad that may be. As you said, you've managed tens of forums, etc., but AT isn't just another forum. It may be like all the others in technical terms, and I have no doubt that you can do what you say, but it's a small business created by one person and is thus fueled by its creator.

But we're not talking about the CEO of Walmart; AT isn't some faceless corporation but a single person's dream. Although it may be sad that it's closing, I don't know if I could give up "my baby" to someone else. It's more than a business, it's her vision and passion, and I can see the logic of not wanting to give it up to someone else who would maybe corrupt and change that vision.

I've been here 13 years and I can understand her reasons, and I support them. Also, sorry if this comes off as trying to be superior, but your join date is a bit over two years ago. I have to wonder how much contact you've had with Solandia, how well you know the spirit and norms of place and why you would push for taking it on. I would also wonder why she would elect to do as you suggest with you specifically because of those reasons.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulruna View Post
Actually you can find Aeclectic's privacy policy here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/privacy.shtml

Specifically about this issue, it clearly states:
Quote:
We collect personal information such as email addresses, locations, IP addresses, and birthdates as part of your separate membership to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum, though you may visit the Forum without registering. This personal information is used for the purpose of running and improving the Aeclectic Tarot Forum, and will not be distributed, sold, traded or otherwise shared outside of Aeclectic Tarot staff, unless prior permission is given.
So indeed, if you'd change ownership, you will need prior consent to even get access to the data.
Quite. And I would not give you access to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdude View Post
I can understand that, too, but personally, I see it differently.
You can see it differently all you like - but the fact remains that unless everyone here wanted you to become CEO or whatever you like to call yourself, it is how the community sees it, not he way you see it, that counts.

Quote:
The reason I push for taking it on is because I have the ability to do it pretty easily. The site is build with a vBulletin template, and I'm familiar with the database structure so I can import it to my own structure pretty seamlessly.
Just because you can doesn't mean that you - or anyone else - should be allowed to. There are all kinds of things I an do that I really should NOT be allowed to.

Quote:
Public posts are... well, public. Which is why, when you Google things about Tarot (or any other search engine), you can read a portion of the thread results on Google's page; they copy your posts. Which is no different than what I'm hoping to accomplish.
You are missing the point there. The public posts will remain. And the subscriber areas will not.
Of course the public posts will show up on google. As they should. That's the point of Solandia's archiving it all. They don't need you to copy them all. They will still be accessible.
Quote:
I responded to purple_scorp on this, but just to respond to you, too... no, if we merge like I'm suggesting then I become part of Solandia's staff (as new CEO), so it wouldn't be shared outside of the staff.
She doesn't want staff. She has made her POV very clear. She is preserving the mass of valuable info that this site has produced over the years for posterity. That's GOOD.

Quote:
I should mention, though, Solandia hasn't responded to me at all, so this may all be a waste of time to discuss. I have no idea if she's gotten my email, considered the thought, or even returned to this thread to read the opinions. My point all along has been that I'll accommodate whatever she needs to keep it alive... usernames, encrypted passwords, and a copy of the forum database is all I would really need, although email addresses would be nice so that we could announce the change to everyone. Otherwise, I'll just be another site starting from scratch that probably won't succeed, and we as a community will cease to exist.
Many members who are well known to the community have already set up sites and people are settling down to build them. That is community spirit in action. Your idea is not going to fly - you're right.

My very favourite independent bookstore - a seriously important community resource - closed a couple of years ago. It was mourned by everyone. But just because it was so important to the community doesn't mean the owner should have had to pass it on. Solandia created this place. She has the absolute right to close it, and what she is doing in terms of preservation of material is quite exceptional. A very important Waite site vanished completely (except for those who know how to find parts of it on the wayback machine) a few years ago. I wish its owner had done as well as Solandia is doing.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #153
tarotlova  tarotlova is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Oct 2004
Location: ????????????????????????
Posts: 1,597
tarotlova 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Exactly. Without Solandia - it won't be AT. However nice anyone else is - it won't be.





Quite. And I would not give you access to mine.

You can see it differently all you like - but the fact remains that unless everyone here wanted you to become CEO or whatever you like to call yourself, it is how the community sees it, not he way you see it, that counts.

Just because you can doesn't mean that you - or anyone else - should be allowed to. There are all kinds of things I an do that I really should NOT be allowed to.

You are missing the point there. The public posts will remain. And the subscriber areas will not.
Of course the public posts will show up on google. As they should. That's the point of Solandia's archiving it all. They don't need you to copy them all. They will still be accessible.
She doesn't want staff. She has made her POV very clear. She is preserving the mass of valuable info that this site has produced over the years for posterity. That's GOOD.

Many members who are well known to the community have already set up sites and people are settling down to build them. That is community spirit in action. Your idea is not going to fly - you're right.

My very favourite independent bookstore - a seriously important community resource - closed a couple of years ago. It was mourned by everyone. But just because it was so important to the community doesn't mean the owner should have had to pass it on. Solandia created this place. She has the absolute right to close it, and what she is doing in terms of preservation of material is quite exceptional. A very important Waite site vanished completely (except for those who know how to find parts of it on the wayback machine) a few years ago. I wish its owner had done as well as Solandia is doing.
Beautifully said, or written I agree completely
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #154
fyreflye's Avatar
fyreflye  fyreflye is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2003
Location: Turtle Island, USA
Posts: 1,530
fyreflye 
Citizen

fyreflye's Avatar

So sorry to see this forum end. It certainly changed my life in many ways but I'm a big boy and can live without it; but I'll miss it. AT refugees are rapidly dispersing to other e forums all across the Net. Hope to see some of you there.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #155
TarotCasper  TarotCasper is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 20 Sep 2013
Location: AZ, USA
Posts: 19
TarotCasper 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannamarie View Post
Check this List of Alternative Forums. It's my understanding this list will also be in an easily-accessible place after the forum closes, so if you don't bookmark it now, you should be able to get to it at a later date.

Yes, all threads currently viewable by the public will remain so.

Any threads where one had to log in to view them, such as readings, will no longer viewable, so save any of these if you would like a personal copy.

The main web site will remain and continue to be available. It is only the forum which is be closed.
Thank you!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #156
csdude  csdude is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 10 Feb 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 184
csdude 
Citizen

I truly don't understand the negativity and demand to let the community die that's being expressed here. Some of you are fighting so hard to let it die, I just don't get it.

Why we can't stick together as a community, I will never understand. No offense to Solandia, but she didn't make this site special, the users did. She uploaded a template and paid for the hosting, but the posters are what made it special. In 2 1/2 years, I don't I've ever had a single exchange with Solandia, so whether she was here or not wouldn't have changed my experience a bit... you guys were what made this site a community.

What we're doing right now is splitting up a hundred ways and moving on to several boards... why? It would be sooo simple for Solandia to just pick one replacement and we could all stick together. It's not complicated, it's not hard, it's not a big deal. One day she's paying for the hosting, the next day someone else is. It's as simple as that, regardless of how complicated some of you want to make it seem.

Regardless, I assume that we won't be discussing it any more in the next hour, so what's done is done. I have yet another Tarot forum site set up and hopefully it will be ready for posts tomorrow... I hope you guys will use it and rebuild the community, but if not then I wish all of you the best in life.

https://eTarot.net
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #157
purple_scorp's Avatar
purple_scorp  purple_scorp is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 07 Nov 2003
Location: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 3,127
purple_scorp 
Citizen

purple_scorp's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdude View Post
I truly don't understand the negativity and demand to let the community die that's being expressed here. Some of you are fighting so hard to let it die, I just don't get it.

Why we can't stick together as a community, I will never understand. No offense to Solandia, but she didn't make this site special, the users did. She uploaded a template and paid for the hosting, but the posters are what made it special. In 2 1/2 years, I don't I've ever had a single exchange with Solandia, so whether she was here or not wouldn't have changed my experience a bit... you guys were what made this site a community.

https://eTarot.net
csdude, I don't think you get it. We're not being negative at all. We are supporting Solandia's decision to close in its current format. Because unlike you, some of us believe that AT is what it is because of Solandia. She had the vision to set all of this up. And, a lot of us have actually met Solandia so, we don't think of her as just someone who pays a website hosting bill.

This is her heart and soul and, members are transient.

There are a number of other members who have the qualification, skills and experience to take over (myself included). It's not the point.

I have nothing against you starting your own community. I just don't think that you should be trying to take this community with you.

with love
purple_scorp
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #158
caridwen's Avatar
caridwen  caridwen is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 13 Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,419
caridwen 
Citizen

caridwen's Avatar

Take care Kate.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #159
Smiling's Avatar
Smiling  Smiling is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 Oct 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 831
Smiling 
Citizen

Smiling's Avatar
thank you


Thank you so much, Solandia/Kate, for all of your dedication and hard work to make this community a vibrant and welcoming place for learning and sharing!
And thank you to all of the wonderful moderators, too!
Another thank you to all of the wonderful friends that I've made here over the years, for helping to teach me so much about life and myself.

I will miss checking into my purple community, for exchanges or just to connect...but I look forward to seeing all of you elsewhere around the net, too. Change is good - it's really the only constant - part of the duality that we live in and helps to take us to the next level. Just that we're human, right? So it's hard sometimes to let go...

blessings to all of you, especially to you Solandia.
Smiling
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #160


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.