Wild Unknown Tarot app!!

kalliope

A few days ago I started a thread asking about updated Galaxy Tone apps, and was told to check back soon. Late last night I checked the Google Play store, and saw they have just released a Wild Unknown Tarot app!!

Pardon my excitement, but I love using apps, and just LOVE the Wild Unknown. Just the other day I was thinking that the creator should make an app, and was even considering contacting her through her website to say so!

The layout is simple, and I think the graphics do the deck justice. When you click on a card, you see it in full screen without a notification bar at the top. The cards still have the same power and impact. The images really shine on a backlit screen, especially since she uses the suggestion of glowing illumination, or light vs. shade, so much in the deck. When the cards have color, they're even more beautiful and dramatic.

I don't have the Wild Unknown companion book, but I'm assuming that the included text is taken from it. The text for each card is a short, with just a few keywords and a brief interpretation paragraph. Although I find the deck very intuitive, evocative, and readable simply by gazing at the images, I'm enjoying getting to see where she was coming from with her take on each card.

The deck includes a Yes/No spread, which is isn't something I've seen in other good tarot apps, and it was a surprise that it would be included for this deck. But it's actually really great, and works very well. The spread seems to use the majors only and has additional interpretations written for each. From what I have seen in my limited tests, most of the cards do not, in fact, give a clear yes or no. Many of the interpretations are along the "you need to give this more time, things aren't that clear yet" or "you already know what the answer is!" variety. But Strength, for example, was a lovely "Yes" message.

As always there are several settings that allow you to choose if you want the app to pick cards for you, or if you want to shuffle and select them yourself. You can always skip the shuffle & pick just once in any given spread, too.

There also seems to be a new-ish feature that I like a lot: when you exit out of a spread, you'll be asked to confirm, and are also given the choice to save the spread into your journal. I think that's a nice compromise between having to remember to save (in the old versions of Galaxy Tone apps), and having everything automatically saved in the Fool's Dog apps (which for me ends up being cluttered with lots of one-card draws.)

Anyway, if you're a lover of this deck and have an Android phone, go get this app! Galaxy Tone has done a wonderful job with it, and I can't imagine anyone would regret it. I look forward to having the cards with me all the time. :)

I've attached a couple of screenshots from my smartphone. I'm sure it will be even more striking on my tablet once I install it there, too!

Attachments

• WU app full screen.jpg
    WU app full screen.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,374
  • WU 3 cards horizontal.jpg
    WU 3 cards horizontal.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 2,342
  • WU 3 cards vertical.jpg
    WU 3 cards vertical.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2,256

Kgirl

OMG this is so exciting!!!

Thank you so much for sharing! :D

inanna_tarot

they made it look so pretty!!! And so in keeping with the ideas and style of the Wild Unknown! SCORE

Starshower

Nope - can't find it. :( I tried to 'search' for 'Wild Unknown' & then 'The Wild Unknown' tarot app on my ipod in the app store, but it finds nothing.
I already have & use several other tarot apps, which work just fine. (Just downloaded a free Marseille one.)
How can I acquire it, please?

Sulis

It looks to me like it's just an android app.. I can't find it anywhere for an Apple device..

I just found this on The Wild Unknown's Facebook page:

"After nearly a year of brainstorming and tweaking code with our friends at Galaxy Tone, we are pleased to present you with THE WILD UNKNOWN TAROT APP. Android Users Download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details… iPhone users: please be patient as we prepare your version to launch this summer."

So it looks as if Iphone and Ipad users will have it soon :D

I think I'll stick with the deck myself.. I really don't need another excuse to be looking at my phone :laugh:.

Starshower

Ah. Thanks, Sulis. (I'm still not sure what an android is. Is a Kindle Fire one?)

I love my deck, and agree that looking at my (separate) mobile phone and ipod constantly is a very bad habit indeed! (I don't have an iphone - far too expensive. Using my ipod is free, but only where there's wifi. So country walks remain technology-FREE & connected to the Earth, sky & wildlife!)

The app would be good for hospital waiting rooms though, without spooking other nervous ppl with my cards ...

Sulis

I think Kindle may have it's own apps.. Android works with phones that aren't Apple ones; Sony, Samsung, Nokia etc..

kalliope

I'm glad some of you others have found it too. :)

Starshower, Android is the operating system (made by Google) which is used by most smartphones that aren't Apple, as Sulis said. So most Samsung, Motorola, LG, and HTC smartphones & tablets use it, and Google's own Nexus devices of course. (The Kindle Fire used to be modified Android, but I think Amazon has gone its own way now.)

And while I feel for you iOS users that you have to wait for Galaxy Tone apps, remember, a couple of years ago you guys had a plethora of quality tarot apps before we did! :laugh:

Sulis, I totally hear you about not needing another reason to look at your phone, ha! :bugeyed:

But at certain times of the day, especially when I'm not alone, or when I'm traveling, I really value being able to privately reflect on a tarot card or spread without flashing physical cards and having other people get in my business. :cool3: I think that's why I'm so attached to having access to these apps these days.

danieljuk

The store for Kindle Fire has most of the same apps as Android, it's just packaged Amazon. so do have a look, it may or may not be there :)

getting this later today!

Ace of Stars

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! This was a serious labour of love :)

Over on our website there is a sign-up list for iOS interest. Get on it :)

We will be releasing for Amazon eventually, but I'm not sure of the date yet.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, questions, comments, anything.

Also, please leave ratings and reviews in the Play Store!

xo Shonna @ Galaxy Tone