Best Tarot Books For Professionals

Mystics

I want to expand my book collection and am looking for the best books with the most beautiful prose and writing. It can be with or without a Tarot Deck, but must be something special.

My go to books are:

The Tarot of Vampyres

Steampunk

Thanks in advance.

CrystalSeas

If you are calling yourself a professional, then you really need to have Benebell Wen's "Holistic Tarot"

Mystics

If you are calling yourself a professional, then you really need to have Benebell Wen's "Holistic Tarot"

It's been my full time job for over 5 years now, so yes. I'm calling myself as one. :D

Thanks! I really want to expand my knowledge and continue to provide excellent service to my clients.

Citrin

I agree with CrystalSeas, Holistic Tarot contains so much information and also further resource suggestions, so definitely a must... :)

I'm a huge fan of Camelia Elias' book "The Art of Reading". It is mainly about the Tarot de Marseille, but it doesn't matter, any tarot reader can benefit from it because Elias is just so good at sharing her deeper thoughts about tarot, how to treat a client, what truly matters in a reading etc... This book was a huge "A-ha!"-moment for me. :)

Nemia

I found Anthony Louis' Tarot Beyond the Basics interesting, especially concerning astrology (less so concerning kabbalah).

Emily Auger's two volumes about Tarot in Culture are very interesting. I don't have a Kobo but downloaded the desktop app to be able to read the books, and they're great. So many aspects of tarot, and the contributors to the books belong to the tarot world's most competent and knowledgeable scholars.

Rosengarten's Tarot and Psychology explores in depth the role of tarot as counseling tool. It's not exactly my own approach but I found it good reading nevertheless.

I only started Christine Gaudet's Fortune Stellar, a book geared at tarot professionals. It looks interesting so far. I can't judge it by the first chapter ;-) but wanted to mention it here. It deals with practical questions of building up a tarot business.

And of course Benebell Wen's wonderful Holistic Tarot. Wen is an exceptionally intelligent, perceptive and honest writer.

All these books go beyond the usual fare of card meanings and some spreads with a sprinkling of tarot history.

Mystics

Thank you. I am having fun looking these up on Amazon. I really feel its time to develop my skills to the next level, and just expand my awareness of the best books around these days. Looks like some new ones on the scene, that have emerged whilst I have been busy doing my readings. Such fun!

:_) Thx!

nicky

I want to expand my book collection and am looking for the best books with the most beautiful prose and writing. It can be with or without a Tarot Deck, but must be something special.

My go to books are:

The Tarot of Vampyres

Steampunk

Thanks in advance.

Gosh I can't imagine what more you would need after having those

Mystics

Gosh I can't imagine what more you would need after having those

I am just checking :)

They are the most amazing books, and have allowed me to give incredible readings, so I do feel blessed. I just wondered if I was missing any others... If only all decks came with such amazing books...

Citrin

You can never have too many tarot books hehe. ;) Sometimes I dig seep into a card that stalks me in readings, and I always check about 3-5 books to really get all the layers and histories around that card... :)

Barleywine

This is timely since I'm just wading back into professional face-to-face reading after decades away from it (in fact, today is my debut). I've read (and in some cases reread) dozens of tarot books over the years, but they have almost all been more about theory and practice than about professional comportment. For me, it's as much about style and flair (what I like to call "the theater of tarot" as a performing art) as it is about sober technique and the mechanics of "getting it done." The story-teller's art is where I try to put the imaginative "flesh on the bones" of my academic and intutive understanding of the cards.

Come to think of it, the best books to sharpen those skills may not be about tarot at all, once the intricacies of reading for others have been thoroughly absorbed. (Of course, it may be different if all your reading is done over the internet; for me, reading is a dialogue, not a monologue.) Anyway, Holistic Tarot was already on my wish-list, and I already have Elias and Louis (which has useful example readings). Someone here recommended Tarot for Life by Paul Quinn, which does have many real-life examples of his professional readings, but I stalled on it because of its "New-Age-y" feel.