Randomizing Card Orientation

RainatDayBreak

I used to always shuffle by mixing the cards on a table. Recently, I purchased the RWS centennial deck, and because of the thickness and texture of the cards, they are quite difficult to mix. (They do not easily slide over each other.) So lately I've been using the lacing method, but it occurred to me that lacing does not allow you to randomize card orientation. It's not an issue for the time being since I decided to take Thirteen's advice and stop reading reversals until I learn all the upright cards. (It's a huge relief because reversals seriously confuse me.)

My question is this: How do people who shuffle by lacing or even riffling randomize card orientation? I'd like to start reading reversals eventually, and I'm wondering how other people do this since most people seem to not use the mixing method.

SonjaC

Forgive me, but I'm not sure that I know what "lacing" is and if you can clarify that would be great! I'm thinking it might be overhand shuffling, which is the main method I use. If you are asking how to randomize for reversals, I put the deck between my palms and twist. I then straighten the cards out again and if I feel the need to do it a second (or rarely a third) time then I do. I just follow what feels right until the shuffling is complete. Does that make sense?

rwcarter

To randomize card orientation, when you split the deck in two to riffle or lace, choose one pile and flip it 180 degrees before you riffle or lace. When you split the cards again into two piles, repeat. Do this every time you shuffle and you'll be uprighting reversed cards and reversing upright cards on every shuffle.

If you have a second tarot deck at hand, shuffle it face up as you do the above to see how flipping one pile 180 degrees randomizes the orientation of the cards after 3 or more shuffles.

Rodney

Barleywine

I use a variation of Grizabella's "deal into piles" method for randomizing sequence. I deal all of the cards randomly into seven piles to break up persistent sequences, then I flip a few of the piles end-for-end and randomly reassembly them into a single stack. With a new deck I may do this a few times. Then I shuffle the deck hand-over-hand for a while and might split it a few times in opposite directions while I do this. Results have been good.

You could also randomize orientation on-the-fly by dealing cards alternately upright or reversed into the seven piles as you go. It would take a little longer, but the technique doesn't take very long to begin with.

CrystalSeas

Ah, brilliant advice! Thanks everyone!

@SonjaC -- I got the term lacing from this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=595

Took me a while to figure out how it actually works, but it's currently my favorite method. :)

For people who are looking for videos, search for "overhand" shuffling. That's the more common name for that style of shuffling.

And, unlike that thread suggests, the correct pronunciation of 'riffle' rhymes with 'ripple' or 'riddle'. It does not sound like the gun called a rifle.

Fun Randomization Facts

It takes about a full minute of shuffling to totally randomize a deck using the spread-out-and-push-around-on-a-flat-surface method, which does not seem to have an actual name.

It takes 10,000 shuffles to totally randomize a deck using the overhand shuffling method.

It takes 7 shuffles to totally randomize a deck using the riffle shuffling method.

Barleywine

It takes about a full minute of shuffling to totally randomize a deck using the spread-out-and-push-around-on-a-flat-surface method, which does not seem to have an actual name.

I used to do this all the time with my large-sized decks like the Thoth (before Griz enlightened me). Lacking a name, I just called it "smooshing." I don't riffle because I've put a permanent curve in too many flimsy-card-stock decks that way, and turning them over doesn't seem to straighten them no matter how much I try to manually bend them back. Dealing randomly into seven piles only takes about a minute and guarantees separation of clumped cards.

Onaorkal

Forgive me, but I'm not sure that I know what "lacing" is and if you can clarify that would be great! I'm thinking it might be overhand shuffling, which is the main method I use. If you are asking how to randomize for reversals, I put the deck between my palms and twist. I then straighten the cards out again and if I feel the need to do it a second (or rarely a third) time then I do. I just follow what feels right until the shuffling is complete. Does that make sense?

I do the same as you for reversals! I don't like the idea of only switching around about half of the deck, that doesn't feel random enough to me!

violetdaisy

For pe

Fun Randomization Facts

I call it the "Go Fish" method :D .... after the popular children's game that used to use a standard deck of playing cards but has specialty decks.

Put all the fishies (cards) in a "pool" and make them "swim" with your hands lol. Yes, it's completely juvenile but the description fits for those who know that game. :)