Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Bernice

Hope to see you back here soon 'Vana!

Mel: From using this approach for a while now, I've found the real beauty of it is in the 'Timing', 'Movement', and 'Sex' (indicating Passive/Active/Neutral). Considering these three aspects in relation to the querent's question is so flexible, yet can give really specific information.

Point taken Mel.:)
When using a 'card-per-position' spread, these factors (bolded) provide a wealth of comprehensive information for whatever the query may be. IMHO, they're proving to give more accurate readings than any other method I've tried - to date - (and that's a lot!).

But I wanted to try a 'combination' reading because I also read with Playing Cards (which are loving your system!) and the Lenormand cards (36). I use 'combinations' with the Lenormand, it's a reading approach that I get on with, so I just wanted to try it out with your system.

Bee :)

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
Point taken Mel.:)
When using a 'card-per-position' spread, these factors (bolded) provide a wealth of comprehensive information for whatever the query may be. IMHO, they're proving to give more accurate readings than any other method I've tried - to date - (and that's a lot!).

But I wanted to try a 'combination' reading because I also read with Playing Cards (which are loving your system!) and the Lenormand cards (36). I use 'combinations' with the Lenormand, it's a reading approach that I get on with, so I just wanted to try it out with your system.

Oh Dear! I wasn't implying that 'combination' readings shouldn't be experimented with! Certainly not. I was merely suggesting that my ramblings shouldn't be taken as 'definitive'. :D Though your example was rather impressive!

Bernice

Though your example was rather impressive!
It was rubbish!

4 Batons (Stagnation) + 6 Swords (Forced Convergence) + Knight of Cups (The Charmer)

A couple of hours after I was offline it suddenly dawned on me that that the 4 Batons was probably so entrenched in his own outlook, that he most likely engineered a 'forced convergance' for others to concur with his own view-point, and managed to come up 'smelling of roses' ! (clever chap)

But this just proves how versatile/flexible this method is.... :)

Melanchollic

Queen of Swords

QUEEN OF SWORDS

Nickname - "The Strategist"
Element - Fire/Water
Temper - Choleric Phlegmatic
Power - all
Timing - random
Movement - random
Direction - North South axis
In the cycle of a year - none
In the cycle of a day - none
In the cycle of a life - none
Sex - both
Cards - 2 Swords, 6 Swords, 8 Swords, 1 Coins, 7 Coins, King Coins

Here again we see the harmonizing of two opposites (Fire/Water). The Queen successfully has all four Powers at her disposal (Heat, Cold, Dryness, Moisture). She still holds true to her feminine archetype (passive), yet her association with the Swords, and the masculine element of Fire gives her the rationality, and cutting logical systematic thinking usually associated with masculine symbolism.

On the tetractys, she is on the second plane, formed by two points, and her ally in the pips is the 8 of Swords, "Confrontation". Her gift is the ability to see both sides of a confrontation. Her 'sword nature' won't make her sympathetic to her enemies however. She'll use her insights against them. Her gift manifests itself in making her a brilliant strategist and tactician.

At the base of the tetractys we have the duty and idealism of the Valet. Above that, the radical energy of the Knight. Now we need a plan. The Queen of Swords is the girl for the job.

The Queen is reminiscent of many of the cunning and conniving women we find in the pages of Shakespeare. But be careful of what you think about her. She probably will know it! She combines the intuitive aspects of the feminine (Water), and the rational aspects of the masculine (Fire) into a formidable tool.

Many say the Tarot de Marseille Sword Queen looks pregnant. This is a great little mnemonic reminder that from good strategy, power (The King) is born.

Melanchollic

Queen of Cups

QUEEN OF CUPS

Nickname - "The Trendsetter"
Element - Air/Water
Temper - Sanguine Phlegmatic
Power - Wet
Timing - Short
Movement - Flexible
Direction - Northeast
In the cycle of a year - February/March
In the cycle of a day - Late Night
In the cycle of a life - Age 70~Death
Sex - Female
Cards - 9 Coins, 5 Coins, 3 Coins, Knight Coins, 8 Cups, 6 Cups, 2 of Cups

This Queen's predominant Power is Moisture (Air/Water), which is form receiving, flexible, and receptive. She is a trendsetter. Cup Queens have an uncanny ability to always understand which way the wind is blowing, be it fashion, the arts, social trends, or politics.

Her manifestation in the pips is the 2 of Cups, "Empathy". It is by her empathy that she 'feels' the fashions of her time. She is never so base as to actively promote some trend or current popular idea, but like Jackie Kennedy, being always perfect, and already completely 'in tune' with others, she seemingly is the source of every trend.

On a higher level, her empathy makes her giving and charitable in a very real and sincere way.

Melanchollic

Queen of Coins

QUEEN OF COINS

Nickname - "The Marketplace"
Element - Water
Temper - Phlegmatic
Power - Wet/Cold
Timing - Short/Slow
Movement - Flexible/Unifying
Direction - North
In the cycle of a year - January
In the cycle of a day - Midnight
In the cycle of a life - Age 56~70
Sex - Female
Cards - 8 Coins, 6 Coins, 2 Coins

The Queen of Coins is elementally Water. She is accommodating, tolerant, frugal, and brings (people) together. Following the analogy of the Coin-Valet as buyer, and the Coin-Knight as seller, the Queen can function as the place, or opportunity for these two to meet - she is 'the market', in the broader sense of the word.

This recalls an earlier age of symbolism where concepts like 'good government' were commonly depicted as female personifications. Even in the Tarot, most likely the Papesse and the Empress were originally meant to represent Church and State.

papessaimperatricesm.jpg

An allegory of Church and State

As the 'idealized' marketplace, Water is the perfect element, and was in fact the element associated with trade and commerce. It's energies 'bring together' and are flexible and generous. In this ideal of 'the market', the willingness and even eagerness to trade means that both parties benefit. In modern game-theory jargon, trade is a win-win situation, a “positive-sum” rather than a “zero-sum” or “negative-sum” game. Each trader values the two goods or services differently, and these differences set the scene for an exchange. I, for example, am walking along with money in my pocket but have no cafe macchiato; a coffee seller, on the other hand, has plenty of cafe macchiatos, but is anxious to acquire money. And so, finding each other, we strike a deal.

The modern, almost infinite latticework of exchanges, the market, is made possible by the use of money. So indirectly the Queen could also be seen as money itself. The concept of money as liquid is of course traditional, as in "liquid assets".

Taken in a broader sense Aeclectic Tarot Forum is a Queen of Coins, an established opportunity or place where ideas are traded.

Cactus Dahlia

Well Mel, I know you haven't quite finished the Queens yet, but I thought you might like a treat.

Sooooo, I have made you a Queen Pudding. Yes, the Queen of Queen Puddings. A bit of messing around but worth it! Decadently delicious. Firstly I baked a pudding then when cooled I spread with raspberry jam, then piled on meringue and baked again until it was pale brown. Heaven! So delicious, we must all share in this delight. :) Dig in every one!

I have gone back to the beginning of your thread and will slowly work my way through it as time allows. (I find I'm using my Rider Waite deck less and less these days - and not even missing it! :surprise:)

Dahlia

Bernice

Sorry Mel - I got here first and I LOVE Cactus Dahlias' offering...

So I've snaffled just a *little* bit - and added a lavish dressing of fresh cream. mmmmmmm....mmmmmmmm....mmmmm - scoff - scoff

Cactus, real pleased you've joined us. Thank you.

Melanchollic

Queen Pudding. Mmm. That would be royal!

I guess I better stop goofin' off and get Our Royal Lady of the Baton finished. :D

Bernice

I've been surfing around the Forum and came across this thread re. defining exactly who Court Cards refer to in a spread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=81444

I've tried it with Mels three-card spread (1# Querent: 2# Quesited: 3# Interaction). Used 3 cards for each position, 9 in all. It seems to be working out OK.

But my final conclusion - at this moment in time - is that Mels 3 cards, one for each position, are quite sufficient.

Just a thought that you other mixed nuts may be interested.