Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Bernice

Wonderful! you know how much I like diagrams....

The first diagram is great, & understandable. The 2nd diagram is brilliant. Thank you Mel.

I've been fiddling with a diagram for the pips & courts, but as usual, your ones are 'more graphic' than mine.

Bee :)

Thankyou for the pastries!

SolSionnach

Bernice said:
Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!

If the info from his other posts (Temperaments, dignities, elemental associations etc.) plus these pip-and-court meanings and the 3 spreads, are put together, this IS a book.... and one that has an authentic historical foundation.

SO........ maybe he should consider getting it published. There's a glaring great hole in the market for a non-RWS approach. Additionally, the playing cards are not exempt from it!
Wow wow wow. What a tremendous undertaking, Mel!! Thank you so much for your explication of your system. As someone who finds the "look at the pip and intuit a meaning" method *completely* *totally* impossible, this has given me a way to use ALL my decks. :)

I'm with Bee - you should *definitely* publish a book, and I know that I, for one, would happily plunk down my hard-earned doru to have it in my hands.

You've heard of lulu.com, right? Check it out.

(mmmMMMmmm. Pastries!)

Bernice

lulu.com = just checked it out. Sounds VERY promising, but I've not read the small print - yet.

Mel, ducky, get yourself over there. I've got a word.doc with your pips+courts if that's any help.

P.S. Sorry I forgot. You have Mac pc.

SolSionnach

Not a problem. A Mac can read a Word doc now. In fact, I use NeoOffice (open source) to produce Word files.

I think it would be a tremendous amount of work for Mel... perhaps you could look at it as another labor of love? I note that Scion has been working for ages on a book based on Liber T/Thoth/GD decans/symbolism etc... and I'm sure it will be quite a while before it's published. But it will be, and I will buy it, too.

Cactus Dahlia

evelone said:
Great thread, Mel, and thanks for this. Been following along and copying down your summaries of the cards. One thing I'm not getting - the Tempers.

Choleric? Phlegmatic?

Where would I find definitions of these? Or are they just another way of expressing the powers?

When I think of the four temperaments (the humors) I think of Chaucer who wrote in the middle ages. His book, The Canterbury Tales, was written around 1387 and is full of references to the humors, both in describing his characters and in his stories where the need to balance the four humors was considered important for health. Chaucer's Nun Priest's Tale has a long discourse on this subject.

If you go to www.fisheaters.com/fourtemperaments.html you will find a very good essay on the four temperaments. Here is a quote from that essay which I think is very pertinent to Mel's work.

"The humor of Blood, associated with the liver and with Air, which is the hot and moist element. A person in whom blood predominates is said to be 'sanguine' ...

The humor of Yellow Bile, associated with the spleen and with Fire, which is the hot and dry element. A person in whom yellow bile predominates is said to be 'choleric' ...

The humor of Black Bile, associated with the gall bladder and with Earth, which is the cold and dry element. A person in whom black bile predominates is said to be 'melancholic' ...

The humor of Phlegm, associated with the lungs and brain and with Water, which is the cold and moist element. A person in whom phlegm predominates is said to be 'phlegmatic' ..."

This is just a wee sampling of that essay. It has some very good illustrative excerpts. :)

Bernice

What a wonderful find Dahlia, with this link and Mels' posts we'll be well versed the characteristics of the real/historical elements. Thank you.

I like the musical scale associations. But, 'Vana, I'm not familiar with 'Church Modes' as musical terms, can you help out here?

Chuckle - chuckle: See the rhyme for a 'poorly' Mellanchollic :) :) :)

"....the water thin, a weake fantasticke braine," ..... and the humming in the left ear!

Keep fit and healthy Mel, we want your 'fantasticke braine' in robust condition!

Melanchollic

The Suit of Swords Overview

Bernice said:
Wonderful! You know how much I like diagrams....

I'll throw these out there too. Not so well done, but useful for 'seeing the big picture' of this approach. :love:

sword-tetratitles.jpg

Melanchollic

Suit of Cups Overview

cup-tetratitles.jpg

Melanchollic

Suit of Coins Overview

coin-tetratitles.jpg

Melanchollic

Suit of Batons Overview

baton-tetratitles.jpg