Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

prudence

I just printed out all of this!! Whoo. It's a big old book, thick. Mel, you are a super star. I agree this needs to be a sticky. Thanks also for the addition of the numbers, I will look for the book you listed as well.

And I am excited to hear you are making a tarot deck of your own, I cannot wait to see it. Do you have any artists you have approached about it?

Bernice

I bet his deck will be REALLY great - with all the correct historical iconography. And hopefully with non-senic pips! (But I'd like a small/tiny hint of the element etc. woven into the pips..... ?)

Bee :)

P.S. Mel - can we buy your deck?

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
I bet his deck will be REALLY great - with all the correct historical iconography. And hopefully with non-senic pips! (But I'd like a small/tiny hint of the element etc. woven into the pips..... ?)

P.S. Mel - can we buy your deck?

LOL. You may want to see the results first! ;)

I have yet to find an artist. I've not settled on a style, though I do want it to reflect the 15th - 16th century. Whether it becomes a rough, folkish woodcut deck, or a more refined engraved or painted work will depend on the artist. My sketches are currently rough, and rough, and also rough. :D Anybody know any artists with the 15th century touch?!

I haven't given much thought to the pips yet. Maybe a touch of illustration, like on the Minchiate. I've gone to all the trouble to concoct a 'system', I might as well slip a few subtle mnemonic images in there to the reader. Nothing obtrusive though, so that other systems can be employed.

For the trumps I'm trying to stay as far away from the Marseille imagery as possible. This pattern has dominated the Tarot world far too long. I'm drawing inspiration from earlier patterns, and period appropriate non-tarot sources. So no double towers or crab on the Moon.

I will give everyone fair warning - Fortuna will hold her rudder! (Insert mad cackle here.)

Bernice

Mel: or a more refined engraved or painted work will depend on the artist.
YES please! I know purests would prefer the rough (bleeding) look - but I much prefer images that look clear/clean, and nice colours - not brash. When wood-cuts were first used they were clear-cut.
I haven't given much thought to the pips yet. Maybe a touch of illustration, like on the Minchiate. I've gone to all the trouble to concoct a 'system', I might as well slip a few subtle mnemonic images in there to the reader. Nothing obtrusive though, so that other systems can be employed.
(My bold) Oooh yes please! And I love the idea of including "subtle mnemonic images". :)
For the trumps I'm trying to stay as far away from the Marseille imagery as possible. This pattern has dominated the Tarot world far too long. I'm drawing inspiration from earlier patterns, and period appropriate non-tarot sources. So no double towers or crab on the Moon.

I will give everyone fair warning - Fortuna will hold her rudder! (Insert mad cackle here.)

(My underline). Loving it more & more. And.... please can Cupid be blindfolded? And the Wheel will have 'she' with a rudder? Not have 4 revolving 'people'? And Judgment an Angel, and Father Time (Not Hermit), and....and...cackling with you....})

Cactus Dahlia

Bernice said:
And.... please can Cupid be blindfolded?

Oh yes! Cupid blindfolded is my preference too. hehe

Bernice

Mel, not wanting to complicate things, but how about some tiny dots (or similar) somewhere in the card designs to indicate the pos-neg-neutral Dignities? It would help me enormously (says she.... hoping to eventually hold the physical deck in her hands)

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
Mel, not wanting to complicate things, but how about some tiny dots (or similar) somewhere in the card designs to indicate the pos-neg-neutral Dignities? It would help me enormously (says she.... hoping to eventually hold the physical deck in her hands)

For dignities (whether a card is good or bad), I do it pretty straightforward, if it looks bad... it is! Anything hell-spawned, on fire, being strung-up, skeletal, foolish looking, or playing shell games is up for suspicion! ;) For the pips, just imagine how you'd feel if someone handed you one of the implements -

Someone hands you a Sword - "THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA!"

Someone hands you a Staff - "Only 40 acres to go..."

Someone hands you some money - "I think I'll splurge on the bigger chicken tonight."

Someone hands you a Cup - "Ah, lovely. Cheers!"

Now whether the card is passive or active, that's where those dots may come in handy. :D

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
And the Wheel will have 'she' with a rudder? Not have 4 revolving 'people'?

Yes. Fortuna was often depicted with a rudder in Roman times, as she guides men's destinies.

Fortuna2.jpg
Fortuna1.jpg

Actually, the later convention of showing Fortuna with a sail would work too. The point is, I want to connect II, X, and XVII with a nautical theme.

comes001.jpg

Bernice

I rather like the nautical look, but not sure what to make of the dolphin (Roman remains over here often have dolphin-tiles).
The sail idea is a pretty good one: Blown with wind... or, someone allowing themselves to get wafted anywhere, trim your sail! etc.

However to be honest, the nautical lady in that pic is rather thick-set - if you see what I mean. (Why oh why did sculptors/artists depict ladies with their waists up under their armpits..... not talking about the style of clothing).

Can you do a proprtional-figured Fortuna, with a sail? (I like the sea :))

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
However to be honest, the nautical lady in that pic is rather thick-set - if you see what I mean. (Why oh why did sculptors/artists depict ladies with their waists up under their armpits..... not talking about the style of clothing).

Can you do a proprtional-figured Fortuna, with a sail? (I like the sea :))

LOL. Actually, no I can't, but hopefully I can find an artist who can. :D