Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Cactus Dahlia

Yep. I'll be in for the reading thread. :)

Melanchollic

Why Mel, Why? Episode 6 - What Do the Numbers Mean? Part II

The Numbers and the Elements

Equating the suit emblems with the classical elements is nothing new as a means to imbue the pips/courts with meaning. Likewise drawing from the Pythagorean/Platonic body of number symbolism, or the less reliable later derivatives, is a common thing in tarot and cartomancy.
Where my approach differs from most, is in considering number as element. This too is actually nothing new, though I haven't seen the idea employed with regard to cartomancy.

I work with two different examples of elemental correspondences to the numbers. In traditional texts, one will find both examples, the difference being in the switching of Air and Water.

• 1 = Fire
  • 2 = Air or Water
  • 3 = Water or Air
  • 4 = Earth

Both ways illustrate essential points, and I've found both of them are useful for getting a full understanding of how it all works.

It is simply a matter of perception really. In the classical order, as given by Aristotle, a logical sequence of 'elemental evolution' is shown.

Fire > Air > Water > Earth

This shows us that Air is the bridge between the classical symbols of duality, Fire and Water. So, as a bridge between the Fire and Water, Air would logically fall between the two. Hence,

1 = Fire
2 = Air
3 = Water

With numbers however, another 'perspective is possible, and necessary to understand them. This system is found in alchemical writings, so I'll refer to it as the alchemical order.

______ * ______​

Here we have a single dot, the 1. It is clearly symbolic of an undifferentiated unity. Yet it contains the potential for all that follows, so the tradition calls it "God".

______ * ____________ * ______​

Here we see the 2. What is the symbolism? The 2, on its own, can only represent the duality. So the tradition calls it "division," "relativity" "manifesting separation," "the cause of things which are altogether dissimilar," "admitting of destruction", etc.

The inherent symbolism of the 2 can only be duality, as the 3 has yet to appear, and without a third, no means can exist between a duality.

______ * ____________ * ____________ * ______​

With the addition of a third dot, we can create a means between the duality of two. So, the inherent symbolism of the 3 is as a means or bridge between the proceeding duality. You cannot have a mean before you have a duality.

So as Air is the means between Fire and Water, and the 3 is a means between the duality of the 1 and the 2 we can equate that,

1 = Fire
2 = Water
3 = Air

One way to represent the situation is this,

Going back to the classical ordering, we can see the dynamics of the whole cycle clearly. The 1 is Fire, as the Monad is like a burning urge, an impulse. Fire is formed from the Powers of Dryness and Heat. Aristotle tells us in On Generation and Corruption, that Heat is what causes things to separate. The 2 is Air, formed by Heat and Moisture. The common Power of Heat between the 1 and the 2 can be seen as the cause of the 2 arising from out of, and separating from the 1. As the Heat cools, Air is transformed into Water (Moist and Cool). Traditionally Fire and Air are ascending energies (as shown by their symbols, upward facing triangles), and Water and Earth are descending energies (as shown by their symbols, downward facing triangles). The 3, being Water, descends. During this descent, the Cool moisture of the Water is dissipated, resulting in the Cool Dryness of Earth, the 4.

The first rotation through the four elements has not yet built up the momentum (to generate Heat) for Earth (Dry, Cool) to break across the divide and become Dry, Hot Fire, so the pendulum swings back, and Earth slips back into Water (5). The 7, like the seven planets it represents, is seen as a unified 'cluster' of energy. Called 'fortress' by the Pythagoreans, it is a powerful energy that slowly pulls like gravity, eventually reigniting the heavy, stable Earthy energy of the 4, first warming Earth into Water, then heating it into Air, then becoming Fire. This powerful upward moving energy of the 7 makes the ascent back to unity possible. This upward energy, when becoming the 8, gains moisture. Air is also an ascending element, but the moisture smoothes out the explosive power of the 7. The moisture of the 8 eventually cools the heat as it becomes the Watery 9. The 9 is one of the four 'trouble' spots, and there is a real danger of everything just falling back down, so the flexible Moist energy of the 9 must quickly solidify into the form holding Dryness of the 10. The Earthy 10 (Cool and Dry), by its mathematical relation to the 1 ( 1 + 0 = 1) shows its inclination to move from the Cool-Dry state back to the primal Hot-Dry state of the 1. The cycle is complete.

In a sort of general overview of things, models showing Fire, Air, Water, Earth seem to work better. Yet when considering applying specific meaning to individual cards, say a 2 of Cups, or a 3 of Swords, only Fire, Water, Air, Earth seems to represent the overall symbolism of the specific number as independent entities from the cycle.

Iamblichus only directly mentions elements for two of the numbers in the decad. He says the 1 is Fire, and the 9 rules Air. This would seem to support the Alchemical ordering —

1 = Fire
2 = Water
3 = Air
4 = Earth
5 = Air
6 = Water
7 = Fire
8 = Water
9 = Air
10 = Earth

This arrangement also has the 'added benefit' of having the gender of the number and the gender of the elements in agreement. This is also keeping in line with Plato that the 5 is the male marriage number, and the 6 is the female marriage number. This is the arrangement used to derive my list of meanings.

prudence

Okay, now I am going to say it....Why Mel, Why??

I was happily following along and actually understanding all that you've written...until now. Eek, this one is going to take a few readings to absorb. :bugeyed: ;)

Melanchollic

prudence said:
Okay, now I am going to say it....Why Mel, Why??

I was happily following along and actually understanding all that you've written...until now. Eek, this one is going to take a few readings to absorb. :bugeyed: ;)

Thanks for the 'heads up' Pru. I fancy myself as a coherent communicator, but sometimes we miss the ol' mark, don't we. :( I'll edit the post later and try to make it more understandable for folks.

Of course, 'getting' most of that stuff is utterly optional. :D

In a nutshell, I equate each number with an element. The interaction between the suit's element, and the number's element is what gives each card its unique personality. (Plus a few other things.)

The elements I use for the numbers are:

1 = Fire
2 = Water
3 = Air
4 = Earth
5 = Air
6 = Water
7 = Fire
8 = Water
9 = Air
10 = Earth

I do it this way because there is a historical precedent for this arrangement, and it has a wonderful synergy with the Pythagorean number meanings.

prudence

Oh, Mel, it was not your words that confused it was the concept. You explained it very well, I was just having a hard time digesting it....I did not mean it in any way like a criticism, I have found your manner of explanation to be very clear and down to earth. I appreciate that a lot. There is just something more involved in this particular lesson. It will take a few extra readings to thoroughly comprehend this system that you are slowly and gently mapping out.

prudence

Hey Mel!! I hope you had an awesome birthday!!

Just wondering if you're coming back any time soon to do the reading circle thing... I have been using your method for a couple of weeks now, on simple readings mostly for myself...and I am enjoying how well it works and how well rounded it is and how it all fits together so perfectly. I am also glad for the extra benefit of learning this number philosophy... it is very deep. Funny, the thing that is stumping me the most at this point is knowing which part of a reading is the querent and which is the quesited.

Is anyone else here using this in your readings yet? Anything jumping out at you? I would love to see more practice readings shared, or even some real ones...I have reread this thread again and found the sample readings to be so very helpful.

Melanchollic

prudence said:
Hey Mel!! I hope you had an awesome birthday!!

Just wondering if you're coming back any time soon to do the reading circle thing... I have been using your method for a couple of weeks now, and I am enjoying how well it works and how well rounded it is and how it all fits together so perfectly...

:heart: I had a lovely birthday, thanks Prudence!

I've started the reading circle thread right c'here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=120636

It's gonna be a lot of fun! :D

Bernice

I'm right over there with you, Kimo Sabi (spelling :eek:)

prudence

I am still hoping this thread will become a sticky....

and not just in my mind. But it is one there as well. Rest assured. :)

Do we need to address a board to vote for it or.....just love it so much that it becomes like velvet and then real?

sorry , I am just being silly,

yet serious....because it really should be a sticky, and I am super serious about that.

please please please make this a sticky. :heart: