What Oracle decks do you consider must haves?

Cerulean

Better Dream Cards-99 of them!

Better for me because they are atmospheric categories, here's a picture:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ER&vi=pictures&img=1#more-pictures/aeclectic/

They are atmospheric and give definition, but are more suggestive about my misty dreams--these help me define a theme without overspecifying the content. I remember there was another set by someone else of 66 or so dreamcards that I couldn't deal with. The pictures to me just were not engaging.

I made a list of the 99 cards of this set, which fall into categories and added for myself about 30 more titles that I will collage/paint to augment the set. I frequently have dreams about riding a bicycle, car, paddling a kayak, etc., that isn't covered by these general themes already noted...

I forgot about them until I was looking for something else this weekend. I'm experimenting with them in context with the LS Secrets Tarot. If I use the Dream Cards to pick a theme to write or do a layout with, the colors and pictures inspire me generally, Then I would use the Secrets Tarot to focus in on details, kind of like the Tarot and Dreams book suggests...

Cerulean

darwinia

Re: Better Dream Cards-99 of them!

Cerulean said:
Better for me because they are atmospheric categories

Aha Mari, you are always up to something interesting!

I nearly bought these last fall, but I couldn't decide. Since I am lately "into" such sets and odd cards, I might buy these after all. I love the imagery even though I wouldn't use them for dream work.

I also love the idea of pairing it off with the Secret Tarot which has always seemed rather dreamy to me.

I have several tarot decks which I can never decide what to do with but I'd never trade that would be ideal for such pairings. The Templar and the Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA.

One oracle deck I like working with is the Tea Leaf Fortune Cards and they would probably be neat with a Dream card.

Such possibilities.

Owlface

oracle faves

I've just dug out my Witches' Runes deck-can't understand why I haven't used it much before. The images are by Nigel Jackson, really atmospheric of Northern Europe, lots of blues and greens. And the book's good too.

Fairy Ring Oracle. Fairies, goblins, etc galore-not all friendly, either ! There are lots of fairies here I'd never heard of, from the British and Irish traditions. The photo-art is superb and atmospheric and the book takes you through it very nicely.

Soulcards 1. 60 images, no fixed interpretations, no titles. This is a great creativity
tool, for individuals and for groups. I must get Soulcards 2 sometime-same format.

love

rosyelf

Satori

The lot of you are trouble makers.
I love oracle decks, and now thanks to all of you I want about 10 more.

My favorites:
-I have the Lenormand, and I admit, it is fun.
-I love the Froud deck, and it is quite a chatty companion.
-I may be the only person willing to use the Symbolon for readings. I never hear anyone speak of it and I tend to love the imagery. In fact whenever I've asked a question it answers with such authority and a bit of sarcasm, like, what you didn't know that? I'm waiting for the right victim to pull it out publicly. Any volunteers? })
-The Virtue decks and I have love/hate/love relationships. A friend just gave me the Archangel cards and I am really enjoying them. The Archangel cards have a bit more of a serious attitude than the other deck I have. I also have Healing with the Angels, and the artwork is sometimes so nubile and over the top as to make me embarassed to do serious readings with them. I'm not afraid of nudity, but the art is just so....I don't know. Can't find the word. But I do use them now publicly, thanks to SongDeva, and not only do people love and respond to them, but they read well too. Throw out the book tho. The angels give me better info than the book.
-Now, this one will throw you, but, I use the Dance of Life like an oracle, rather than like a tarot. Mari sent it to me during her wonderful stamps for tarot closeout and it is an awesome deck. If you go to a whole health expo to read, bring that baby with you and all the Reiki people and yoga people will be genuflecting at your feet after your readings. It is the boss.

I have a couple of Rune card decks, but I haven't used them in years. Also, some guy on the forum laughed at the idea of runes and cards going together in the same word, and well, after some thought, I think there may be something to that. But don't tell the guy. I wouldn't want him thinking he was influencing too many of us....

My final most favorite pick:
I have Soulcards 2. I'm gonna get the first set at some point. I love them. But I admit that the second deck has a lot of weird screaming disembodied faces that are so bizarre. They give me the willies man, and when one of them pops up in a reading for a sitter it is unnerving to try to find the meaning in them without running screaming myself. After Tuesday night I'm pulling those cards out of the deck.

yve

I love my Druid animals and Messages from angels....

lunakasha

elf said:
-I may be the only person willing to use the Symbolon for readings. I never hear anyone speak of it and I tend to love the imagery. In fact whenever I've asked a question it answers with such authority and a bit of sarcasm, like, what you didn't know that? I'm waiting for the right victim to pull it out publicly. Any volunteers? })

I am also a fan of the Symbolon.....powerful imagery, beautiful artwork....but I would be afraid to use it publicly for readings, only because there are a couple of potentially offensive cards in there (I am sure you know which ones I am referring to elf.....;) ) But I agree....this is an underrated deck that deserves more attention. I did one very powerful reading for a friend, and these cards spoke to me loud and clear!!!

My top two oracle decks, without question, would be Titania's Fortune Cards and Madame Endora's Fortune Cards...both decks are very intuitive for me, and have allowed me to give several clear, accurate readings.

I also enjoyed working with the Answer Deck....although they often give very straightforward, no BS readings, at other times they can be ambiguous and difficult to interpret. But I would still recommend them....

:) Luna

WolfSpirit

Animal Druid Oracle
Wolf Song Cards

I work better with animal energies than fairies or angels.

stella01904

Traditional European Oracle Cards

MM ~ Lenormand cards DEFINITELY count. In fact, all of the old European oracle decks are wonderful, I much prefer them to modern decks. Petit Jeu Lenormand is indispensible. Grand Jeu is difficult, but fascinating - you never stop learning them and they are so multi-faceted, with all the different illustrations on each card. Biedermeier I also recommend, as a little "hip-pocket" deck. But my favorites are the Italian Sibillas, and the most beautiful of these are the Sibilla Della Zingara and the La Vera Sibilla. BB, Stella PS You might also, if you are interested, try a web search on Die Kipper Wahrsagekarten, Zigeuner Wahrsagekarten, Jeu Du Destin Antique...all these decks can be difficult to obtain but well worth the effort. Here in the US we have Gypsy Witch cards. Not the prettiest things in the world and the playing card assignments are nonsensical, but still easy and accurate and I enjoy their funkiness. There is also a Petit Jeu Lenormand deck offered through Llewellyn but it has no playing card insets. Sometimes you need those to add depth so I recommend Piatnik's Petit Jeu, or buying an antique deck on ebay.

tinkerbell

most loved and most wanted!

when i first joined aeclectic back in august this year, i was intent on learning tarot but found the task so enormous that i also bought some oracle decks to ease me in so to speak!!
my favourite is nick hobsons "psycards" which i still use regularly. the images and archetypes are wonderful, ( artwork is by maggie kneen who illustrated the old english tarot-). these cards never let me down!! i highly recommend them!
on my wishlist are the fairy ring oracle
and brian froud's faeries oracle
( if i don't get either for xmas ,i'm treating myself next year!!!
love tink xx

darwinia

I'm still rather intrigued more by odd playing card decks and oracles. I love my i Misteri della Sibilla cards--would never have thought to buy them if I hadn't seen them discussed here and traded with a member--very neat stuff.

Gardener has me interested in these:
http://www.oh-cards.com
There are several sets I'd like including the OH cards with their associative word cards. The artwork on some of them reminds me of my delightful Relax Deck and Perfect Calm Deck.

For sure, the new Dreaming in Color deck is a must-have. There are so many odd decks that one can use as oracles even if they aren't titled as such. I am really pleased with some of the Knowledge Card decks and illustrated playing cards, particularly if you are keen on a subject and there are no oracle or tarot-related decks on that subject.

I see many people interested in animals--go for playing card decks with animals as oracles, there are many, many of them, including The Wild Deck which are transformational playing cards by Pete Wood (who did the Tiny Bug Tarot.) Pete also has his 2000 Pips playing cards that are bursting with gorgeous animal illustrations. The British Heritage Playing cards have several animal cards and the Knowledge Cards have several sets done in conjunction with The Sierra Club which are fascinating.

Don't get hung up on the word "oracle." Anything is an oracle if you love the art and delight in using the cards. I've been using several of these types of decks with my Daily Thoth draw. Such clarification, they are superb for pulling out meaning and associative riffs.