Thoth 2005 by Urania Verlag

Fulgour

Thoth 2005 by Urania Verlag

It's time we began hearing reports on this completely
re-worked Thoth Tarot by Urania Verlag... anybody?

ISBN 3-03819-051-9
Aleister Crowley® Original Crowley® Tarot
78 Tarotkarten
Soft inverting box
Format maps: Luxe 9,5 x 14 cm
Approx. euro: 25.
Distribution: January 2005

ISBN 3-03819-052-7
Aleister Crowley® Original Crowley® Tarot
78 Tarotkarten with AGM hologram on all backs
In precious folding box
Format maps: Luxe 9,5 x 14 cm
Approx. euro: 36.
Distribution: January 2005

http://www.uraniaverlag.ch/2004-2/thothtarot.html

ladyfaerylainell

Cool Site

Cool site, however it isn't in english so how do you translate the page?

Alta

I admit that I am intrigued. Apparently the decks are not yet released. Completely re-done from the originals, that could be very worthwhile.

Aure

Oh no... I wonder if I have to get that deck when it comes out... The 'newly digitalized'-tagline sounds so interesting. Not to mention, the luxury edition which they claim is numbered to 200 pcs has a AGM hologram on the back of the cards and a better box.

I thought for a while of getting the Liber T-deck but then I decided to stick to my reliable old Thoth. :)

Rusty Neon

The AG Müller deck was already re-photographed from the original Harris paintings and the quality and clarity of the images is great in comparison to the Llewellyn deck images, Weiser deck images, and the US Games decks' green images.

How much more quality and clarity can the 2005 Urania Verlag images have over the AG Müller images?

As well, query whether Urania in fact re-photographed the paintings or just worked from the AG Müller negatives.

Lillie

All the AG muller editions have the white border around the backs.
If these new ones don't I might even buy some.
I hate those borders. They just look so wrong!
And if they have a hexagram too, I'll be laughing my little cotton socks off.
:D

Fulgour

Rusty Neon said:
As well, query whether Urania in fact re-photographed the paintings or just worked from the AG Müller negatives.
If one allows for Google's translation quirks, this looks like a new shoot:
For this New edition the original paintings were again digitized
by lady Frieda Harris at the university of London with large care.
In the compression matter was paid attention to show the original
color design in a true-to-life manner.

Lillie

Isn't that translation wonderful!

It reminds meof a translation of a japanese motor bike manual, which warned riders to 'beware the festive dog sporting in road' and 'the skid demon that lurks in corners'.

Yes, I know, off topic, but it's funny.

And it's midnight, and I'm tired, so forgive me,,, please. :)

Vincent

Rusty Neon said:

The site says that they have re-photographed the original paintings from the University of London, ie the Warburg Institute.

These paintings had suffered some damage, something to do with the way they had been stored. A few years ago I heard a rumour that there was some conservation and/or restoration planned for the paintings. Perhaps that has now been accomplished and these are completely new photographs.

Vincent