(((V e r t i g o)))

Richard1

Well, the Death card is so appropriate because, well, that IS Death.
That's right, according to Sandman, when you die, a cute, perky Goth chick is the one who comes to you and says, "You know, you really should've cut all that red meat out of your diet."
There are many brilliant things about Sandman, but that's one of the most brilliant.
What I've found about the Vertigo deck that is that it gives probably the most accuracte readings I've come across, especially for my friends who really respond to the artwork. Since I got my Thoth deck, I don't use the Vertigo as much, but a couple of my friends won't let me read for them with anything else. I can be (and has been) brutally frank at times, but it will usually throw in a good amount of hope somewhere in the reading.
The tens kind of throw me off, though...I think this is the only deck I've ever seen where all the tens are extremely positive. That Nine of Swords, though...<I>Brrr</I>...

Riversea

To second Richard on Death

Death is many Sandman readers' favorite character. While she is very much the Angel of Death, she bucks the normal view of death, and is instead a funny, loving, upbeat, and optmistic character.

She has compassion towards all her "victims" and mercy on none.

She also has to take human form once every hundred years, live a day, and then die. The first time we meet Death, her brother (the Sandman) is moping about (he mopes quite a bit!). She takes him with her as she makes her rounds, gathering up the dying. Along the way, she reminds him of what it is to enjoy life.

She tells nothing of what lies beyond death.

She tells the same thing to the 6-month baby to the centuries-old man, "You got what everyone gets. You got a lifetime."