Book of Aleister Crowley poems in antiquarian book fair

Zephyros

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/09/occultists-poems-to-grace-london-antiquarian-book-fair

The poems are written to Herbert Jerome Pollitt, after their love affair was ended. Now, the article itself repeats false myths (for example, that he died penniless and founded a cult) but the book is interesting. I guess these poems are unpublished? The owner says they're not very good, but that only adds to their candor. So, is anyone going to be in London this month? If so, please take pictures!

ravenest

I wonder what the bidding will get up too ... here comes Hymaneaus Beta with a cheque book fat from dues ... I bet 'they' get it ;)

Zephyros

I wonder what the bidding will get up too ... here comes Hymaneaus Beta with a cheque book fat from dues ... I bet 'they' get it ;)

groan

I'm not even a member of the OTO and I'm sick of hearing that name everywhere! I wouldn't be surprised if they do manage to get it, they certainly have the both the resources and desire.

Maybe I should stop reading Watcher of the Dawn

Zephyros

The article was again on my newsfeed today, so I re-read it. It's kind of depressing, and in some ways we live in times that are even more puritanical than Crowley's. Beginning with the title, it calls him a "black magician. Okay, that's something everyone is used to, but why emphasize the book is of "gay verse?" Isn't it enough to write merely love poetry, is it different because it is gay? Why would bi-sexuality cause him to be expelled from the GD? Even if the writer of the piece didn't know the truth, which they don't (the lack of serious research is evident) making that the reason is absurd, and reinforces stereotypes. Later, again, sexuality takes center stage when the piece discusses the "cult" that he founded that included "tortuous rituals" which included "anal sex." While not saying it out loud, the implication is clear: anal sex is tortuous and out of the norm. Why does the piece even bother to mention what kind of sex was involved in the cult, isn't just sex enough, or just as titillating for the Guardian's readers?

I'm not even talking about all the mistakes and falsehoods present in the article, only that in trying to take cheap shots at Crowley, not only do they choose the cheapest, his sexuality, but also imply the inherent deviance of the sexuality itself.

Aeon418

Why does the piece even bother to mention what kind of sex was involved in the cult, isn't just sex enough, or just as titillating for the Guardian's readers?

It's typical of hypocritical English journalism. Pretend to take the moral high ground and then titillate the readers with salacious scandal and gossip. And if it's a sex scandal all the better! There's something very English about it.

Some things never change. (One of my favourite bits of angry Crowley.)
http://hermetic.com/crowley/worlds-tragedy/proem.html

Aleister Crowley said:
This is our England, pious dame and prude,
Who calls me blasphemous, unchaste, and rude!

And before anyone points the finger at me....... I am English. :laugh:

ravenest

In my illustrious career I managed to avoid .... 'THAT' ... They tried the black magic ... and accused my of abusing children and other ridiculous criminal slander (which of course isnt slander if you prefix it with Satanism :confused: )

It was hard to accuse me of 'unnatural vice' as I had too many girlfriends and no boyfriends ... well, the answer was obvious ... I have strange powers that manipulate women's wills and I am homophobic :rolleyes:

Like women? - pervert ! Like men ? - extra pervert! Like both ? - double pervert !!!

Dont get involved sexaully with either? " (behind hand) There is something weird wrong and suspicious about that guy. "

WTF happened to the 'sexual revolution' ???

Sore spot !

http://hermetic.com/crowley/magick-without-tears/mwt_78.html